collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Broadhead advice  (Read 9090 times)

Offline AlbinoRhino

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
Re: Broadhead advice
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2016, 08:46:42 AM »
I shoot the magnus stinger, too, and like them. They fly with field points and leave a nice blood trail.

If you shoot vain out how do u place your Magnus vertical or in line parallel with main vain

Offline follow maggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2016, 12:39:37 PM »
I've never paid attention to it, Albino

Offline hogslayer

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2016, 03:14:54 PM »
I am a slick trick standard 100 grain shooter myself.  I really want to pick up some of RADSAVS broad heads because I believe the Deisgns and build along with attention to detail make them a better browd head.  But I have 16 slick tricks I need to either shoot into trees or kill elk with first.

Offline kodiak 907

• Sourdough
  • Groups: U.S. Navy/Combat Recon, NRA, DU
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2016, 04:31:28 PM »
Anyone ever tried the Kudu points? They look deadly.
Spider 2 Y banana

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2016, 05:11:10 PM »
Anyone ever tried the Kudu points? They look deadly.

I can't remember who, but someone gave me a few to play with at a show.  Seem nice enough if you like two blade heads.  They bend like most two blades do but weren't at all bad.  Trailing edges were a nice touch.  Oregon company.  Haven't met them that I know of, but always nice to support PNW folks.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline demontang

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2016, 10:02:05 PM »
I've made the switch to savora heads the madman are great heads for lower cost, they go up in price and all are great heads worth a look for sure :tup:

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2016, 10:54:04 PM »
But I have 16 slick tricks I need to either shoot into trees or kill elk with first.

MLBowhunting's brother can show you how to destroy those in no time at all!  I believe he is called the hairless rocky chuck master. :chuckle:
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2016, 11:28:16 PM »
RADs advice is spot on :tup:  Get a well tuned bow, decent arrow with proper fletching and good FOC and watch magic happen. With my setup last year, I played with a dozen different heads. Some old left over stuff, some borrowed from buddies, some bought and payed for.  Played being a key word. No spin testing, no critical eye, just messing around. I would have shot any of them for the season from a flight standpoint. Some may have taken a bit more "tweaking" to get perfect and spin testing gives me that "mental" edge. But all flew either right with or close enough to my field tips that very minor adjustments would be needed to head to the field.

Disclaimer: Shameless plug time. I shot the Savora TI-Con and can not say enough about them. And from hwat I hear the new blades will make it even better. These heads held Zero to at least a hundred yards, flew like darts, spun like tops and cut like scalpels. I shot them inadvertantly into stumps ( they are to expensive to ruin on purpose. But I have a fondness for 15 dollar braised grouse and sauteed mushrooms, and rabbit and dumplings :chuckle:), bounced them on gravel roads, shot them into dirt banks, and through some big game animals. never lost a blade and all except one could have been shot again. Skipping down logging road on pit run will ruin the best of blades. And wreck a great arrow. Want to know what it wont hurt? a Savora titanium ferrule. No visible damage to the tip and new blades and spinning like new. I shot a cow on a steep quartering angle and hit her low, the head sliced, not broke, sliced 2 ribs as it entered the cavity. Im convinced a steeper blade angle or less durable head could very well have affected the outcome of a perfect hunt.  Great head. Dont let the "old school" look fool you. These aint your grandpas broadheads!

Offline LeviD1

• Scout
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery, Spokane Rifle Club, RMEF
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2016, 09:14:23 AM »
I love my shuttle T's. But whichever fixed head you use get rid of those schwackers as well. I bust through any shoulder I ever hit with my shuttle t's and had a bad experience last year with schwackers that I know my shuttle t would have got the job done on a huge buck. Ill never use expandable again.

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2016, 09:21:46 AM »
But I have 16 slick tricks I need to either shoot into trees or kill elk with first.

MLBowhunting's brother can show you how to destroy those in no time at all!  I believe he is called the hairless rocky chuck master. :chuckle:
outch

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 11:22:58 PM »
I am a slick trick standard 100 grain shooter myself.  I really want to pick up some of RADSAVS broad heads because I believe the Deisgns and build along with attention to detail make them a better browd head.  But I have 16 slick tricks I need to either shoot into trees or kill elk with first.
x

X2

Offline Vandal44

• Hunter
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2016, 02:47:20 PM »
I am a huge fan of the Savora heads not sure what ones I am shooting but they fly awesome.  I took a cow Elk at 30 yards with my bow that maxed out at 50# and it blow right though her.  Shot an ok buck at 25 yards with my crossbow that shoots a 500 grain arrow at 377 FPS, perfect arrow flight out to 80 yards. The last deer was a big doe. 

I am amazed at how accurate the Savora heads are, keep in mind my bow is very well tuned.  The Savora head will be in my quiver for a long time

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal