collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: measuring lands  (Read 3189 times)

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
measuring lands
« on: May 22, 2016, 02:14:01 PM »
I'm new to reloading and was wondering what techniques people use for determining how far off the lands your bullets are and what the range is for distance off the lands? I see the numbers for OAL for each type of bullet and I know each rifle is different with how far off the lands works. Right now I'll mostly be reloading 30-06.
Thanks
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
Re: measuring lands
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 02:46:03 PM »
I would at times just put a case/bullet combo in, but the bullet was in loose.  Chamber/close the bolt and the bullet gets pushed back a certain distance.  Then compare to OAL.  Without the gage, it seemed to work okay...not really accurate.

Offline dreamunelk

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 03:38:07 PM »
Hopefully you are using a book.  Follow instructions to the "T".  A good book will instruct you on where to start with your bullet.  You can then play with it from there.

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 10:51:16 PM »
It's been a couple of years but I inherited the equipment from one of my dad's friends who passed away. I had a book and followed everything and purchased couple of things that I was missing. Loaded some rounds to the case length and OAL specs for that particular bullet but everything got packed away in a move so I haven't had any time to start developing anything yet.
I have been reading on here about people developing loads and I am itching to get going again. Just looking for some advise from some experienced people.
Wasn't aware of a gauge. Would it be better to take to a gunsmith or is this gauge something I can buy for a reasonable price?

Offline 6.8mmARHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 01:53:23 AM »
I would at times just put a case/bullet combo in, but the bullet was in loose.  Chamber/close the bolt and the bullet gets pushed back a certain distance.  Then compare to OAL.  Without the gage, it seemed to work okay...not really accurate.

What he said...

Offline TVHunts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA-RSO,RMEF,DU, Marysville Rifle Club
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 06:30:22 PM »
As said previously I did the same thing before buying the Hornady OAL gauge and comparator set.  It's a pretty darn cheap investment in the big scheme of things.

Or, take a fired round and slightly dent the neck until it holds the bullet somewhat securely. Then close the bolt and you will have your tight to the lands measurement.  Make sure you OAL doesn't exceed the length of the mag well!

Good luck
MAGA

Hey Slobbering JOE,

STOP the freaking INVASION

Offline yorketransport

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 07:02:46 PM »
Check out the video here on finding the lands. It's a pretty in depth process but it will get you very consistent results.

http://www.wheeleraccuracy.com/#!videos/p62ad

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 12:41:39 PM »
I use the Hornady OAL gauge with bullet comparators to measure seating depth.  A less precise way but one that works just fine for typical hunting needs is to seat a bullet in a dummy case, pull the bullet, then re-seat the bullet at a depth longer than needed, chamber and close the bolt.  You can do that several times and compare values until you get a consistent result.  You will see marks on the bullet where the ogive contacts the rifling.  There is still sufficient neck tension to not pull the bullet out when you extract the dummy round.  It may pull it slightly so this is why you need to do it several times and compare values to make sure.  I would do this with a fire formed case that has been full length resized (unless you don't resize your cases) to ensure you are getting the best possible result. 
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 09:56:21 PM »
Thanks for all the advice! The video was very helpful, the only trick is moving the bullet in the case a thou at a time!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal