collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Making the most out of scouting time - 1st time hunter  (Read 3885 times)

Offline simpleperson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Making the most out of scouting time - 1st time hunter
« on: May 23, 2016, 02:32:32 PM »
Hi there!

I recently discovered this site, and I've found what I've seen here immensely valuable.

Despite coming home empty-handed from my first hunting experience, I'm super pumped for the upcoming deer and elk seasons.

I'm wondering if I could get some info on how best to utilize the time between now and October to prep and boost my chances of success. I'm planning on heading out and using a couple camping trips as an excuse to get out there and scout. For deer, I'm thinking I'll scout eastern olympics (621-olympic / 624-coyle), looking for signs of droppings/trails, and finding an appropriate place to hide, or a tree to climb.

For elk, probably the same story, but it sounds like I might do better in western olympics or around rainier.

Finally, a bit about myself: I live in Seattle. I've enjoyed the outdoors for a long time, but am just now starting to hunt. I'm not so interested in trophy hunts as much as filling my freezer and enjoying a nice book and beautiful scenery.

A couple of questions, if you folks don't mind:

1) Is there such a thing as scouting too early? That is, what if I go in August, see a bunch of game trails/droppings, but perhaps the herds will have moved on come October.

2) What are the must-haves  for deer/elk hunting? I have camo, hunter's orange, a suitable rifle, all-weather gear, etc. Should I look into a tree stand, scents, etc?

3) How do I find information on what to expect from deer behavior at certain times? For example, it sounds like when males are in rut, they are active during the day. Otherwise, it'll likely be the morning or evening hours.

4) It sounds like a big part of scouting is finding funnels, feeding areas, water, etc. Do you have any specific resources on what to actually do while out there scouting? I've watched quite a few youtube videos, but I'm worried I'll get out there with no idea of what to look for.

5) Are there any books or other resources that you recommend for me to read between now and then?

6) I've mostly chosen the GMUs above because they're fairly close and seem to have somewhat decent success/forecasts. If I'm mistaken, and instead should focus on scouting out a closer GMU, that'd be very valuable to know!

Thanks so much for all the folks who have contributed to the massive wealth of information here. I'll be spending my time reading through all of the info on this site.

Offline cdriver

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • wood stocks and hand calls James 2:14-18, USMC
Re: Making the most out of scouting time - 1st time hunter
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 03:57:22 PM »
You are off to a good start. Scout as much as you can but remember that deer change their behavior in the fall/rut season. Use the information you gleen from this website.  I've taken deer in the southern Olympics two of the last three years. I attribute a lot of my success to the time I spend in the woods. I coyote hunt most of the year, that gives me lots of chances to discover good hunting areas. Good Luck.

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 04:01:17 PM »
No book can teach you what time spent in the woods can teach you. Watch, listen and observe. 

Dont rely on scouting to be a must do in order to be succesfull.
Manh people have been let down to find a spot that was full of game in Aug is now empty cone hubting season.

Look for escapement places, think of your self being an elk or deer? Where would tiu run and hide?

Have plan A, B, C, D and so on.  Because if A turns bad go to the bext plan.

Ive learned more being in the woods than any book or person has taught me.
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 04:07:32 PM »
Rt is spot on, woods time trumps all

Look at a map of the area you want to hunt....draw arrows in the direction the pressure is going to come from...eventually youl get all the arrows pointing towards each other....

I think I remember reading something along the lines of 90% of hunters stop after 1 mile cross country & 3 miles trail or road ? Could be wrong on the numbers but gives you an idea of where to put an X on the map....key is to know all the access points ! Which takes time in the woods
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 04:13:40 PM by kentrek »

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 05:32:17 PM »
Find a spot where you can see distances and use glass to look at openings and edges at first light and afternoon/evenings.
Hours spent looking through binoculars and a spotting scope can save days hiking.
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline GBoyd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2016, 06:18:31 PM »
Tagging this. It's a problem for me too. I spend a ton of time in the woods and sometimes wonder if I could be more efficient with my time.

But I do have some things I've learned. First and most importantly, GoogleEarth and Onyxmaps. This is so important! You can save a ton of driving and hiking if you study up on maps first. Switch between the topo and satellite layers and really study how everything looks. Look again after your trips. Studying the good areas will show you what to look for next time.
This is also good for identifying access points like Kentrek said.
Hunting is mostly about being in the right spot. Maps are your most important tool.

A second suggestion: take up grouse hunting. Spend your weekends in September walking roads looking for birds. You'll see a ton of deer and you might start to notice where you see them most often. Like people said, more woods time leads to success. Having other interests that bring you to the woods is a huge help.

Offline davk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GOA
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 10:25:33 PM »
Numbers are related to your questions ...
1. I scout all year.  Trails, droppings, rubs, etc will always be there.  I'm not necessarily trying to pattern deer or see if there is a big buck in an area until closer to the season, but just compiling a list of areas to focus on.  There have been countless spots I have checked that looked like great areas on a map.  And there is absolutely nothing for sign.

2. Are you just day hunting?  Camo is debatably needed, but would say at least earth tones.  Id look for cloths that are quiet.  I like to do orange hat, vest and a square tied to the back of my backpack.  Iv been pinned down on roads because recreation shooters were shooting straight down them  :bash:... more orange cant hurt.  I like to use some sort of scent control.  I am using some carbon stuff now.  Id also suggest watching what you are using to do your laundry/showing. I don't pay for the hunting specific soaps to wash cloths/shower.  I just get the fragrance free crap.  Get some wind checker.  Get a good knife, quality game bags, 550 cord or some sort of rope.  Watch videos and read as much as you can regarding processing game in the field.  For new people that can really be an "ah #$*@" moment.

3. Google search and read as much as you can.  What you mentioned is the gist but not really a set rule. 

4. I primarily look for trails, droppings, rubs when wandering around.  Then from there I will try to determine where they are traveling.  I ignore water out here ... there's to much of it. 

5. I never have ever picked up any books.  There is a great deal of information online.  As others have mentioned ... spend time in the field. 

6. I would scout multiple areas and have backup plans.  I hunt multiple GMUs each year ... seasons change, hunt closer spots during the week if I can get out before dark, if to many people show up I have options to move.  I basically ignore the statistics.  I have seen plenty of game in GMUs with horrible numbers.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 10:51:21 PM »
 1) Is there such a thing as scouting too early? That is, what if I go in August, see a bunch of game trails/droppings, but perhaps the herds will have moved on come October. 

The elk herds will move around.  Read up on the elk board or find some books on locating elk during the season.  You'll need to devote some time just prior to, or during the hunt to locate the animals.  Early scouting will tell you where significant numbers of elk are, and give you a good starting point come hunting season.

Deer won't move too much except in the upper elevations once the snows come.  Most of the movement is in relation to where food is growing best, and where they can bed and stay cool during the summer and can stay warmer during cooler weather in the coastal regions.   You're best days of hunting will be from the 26th or so of Oct - 31 Oct, and the four days of late buck season in Nov.  If you're getting married during these dates, postpone the wedding.   You need to be in the woods.  Outside those dates, you've got to be really good or really lucky to find a big buck. 

2) What are the must-haves  for deer/elk hunting? I have camo, hunter's orange, a suitable rifle, all-weather gear, etc. Should I look into a tree stand, scents, etc?

A couple of trail cams is not a must have, but they're fun and will tell you if you're in the right area.  If you put your cam today on deer trails used in wintering areas, you may likely see very few deer in late spring and summer, depending on the area.  You're looking for where the does live, 'cause that is where the bucks will be heading come late Oct.    Good binoculars are probably the biggest "must have". 

3) How do I find information on what to expect from deer behavior at certain times? For example, it sounds like when males are in rut, they are active during the day. Otherwise, it'll likely be the morning or evening hours.

You got it right.  For more than that, and despite other's advice that reading is overrated, I'd recommend you read everything you can find when you're not scouting.  You can't always be putting in "time in the woods", but you can still learn a lot about the behaviors of the animals you seek to eat. 

Try these "must reads" for a start:  Scott Haugen - Trophy Blacktail/The Science of the Hunt
                                                 Boyd Iverson - Trophy Blacktail Tactics II
You may be able to find them on Amazon in the new and used section for reduced cost.

4) It sounds like a big part of scouting is finding funnels, feeding areas, water, etc. Do you have any specific resources on what to actually do while out there scouting? I've watched quite a few youtube videos, but I'm worried I'll get out there with no idea of what to look for. 

This is where time in the woods helps out.   You have to start somewhere.  Perhaps you can hook up with an experienced hunter in your area to go out with you.  Try putting up a post for a hunting partner in the main section of the forum titled:  Where to go - Partners/Hunt Swaps.   Mostly, you need to learn to differentiate new deer/elk sign from old, and how to move through the woods quietly while taking in and processing the clues you come upon.

A book by Louis Terkla on Blacktails has a pretty good section on scouting, but as with all the books, you need to take the information to the woods and try to figure it out, then go back and re-read the information.  It is difficult to transform field knowledge into written word.  If you're occasionally seeing some animals, then you're doing well. 

I cannot say for sure that scouting for elk in summer will make you more successful during modern firearm in November.  If you're hunting early archery in Sept., then it is time well spent.  Read the elk boards for whatever you can glean from member posts.

5) Are there any books or other resources that you recommend for me to read between now and then?

You're not listening to me if you didn't see the answer to this above.

6) I've mostly chosen the GMUs above because they're fairly close and seem to have somewhat decent success/forecasts. If I'm mistaken, and instead should focus on scouting out a closer GMU, that'd be very valuable to know!

In my mind, those units are too far away to go scouting for deer.  I'd be looking in Kitsap, Vashon, Whidbey (only if you know someone or are inclined to knock on doors for those last two), Snoqualmie, and Stilliguamish.  Less drive time = more time in the woods.  Get to know a few areas well rather than trying to figure out a lot of different areas.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 11:42:38 PM by fishnfur »
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline simpleperson

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 10:58:44 PM »
All of these responses have been super helpful. Thank you all so much. Wow.

I agree that I want to spend as much time as possible in the field. Those GMU recommendations are very helpful. Closer will mean more time. That said, for scouting for Elk, would you stick to the cascades, and have more time to scout, or does my plan to head out to the peninsula, and fewer scouting trips?

Thanks again everyone.

Offline ejwright

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 11:39:44 PM »
Good rain gear,waterproof binoculars and good water proof boots are all you really need besides the weapon. Looking back on all the gear I bought in the beginning makes me laugh at myself, because with how much it rains on the west side I could literally have saved tons and just bought good, quiet, lightweight rain gear.

Offline wooltie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 05:15:48 AM »
Pm me. I'll tell you some info about 460.

Offline pope

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 05:33:46 AM »
You're wearing orange, so you're probably hunting modern rifle. If so, the modern deer season goes quickly, especially if scheduling time off isn't an option. Hunting close to home greatly increases your chances if you can squeeze in a few hunts after work just before dark.

I'm no expert but based on my experiences, I would advise you to get away from other hunters by being willing to walk. Do hunt the woods near clear-cut areas but don't spend hours glassing these cuts when you hunt. While you scout remember that while deer don't necessarily need water, the plants they eat grow better in moist areas. If you find a brushy area with trails that are active during deer season, consider placing a tree stand down wind from a trail junction. This is an excellent way to avoid detection and improve your ability to watch multiple trails in brush-covered terrain.

Offline Da stump

• Site Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • Give me a good book and a gun, that's all I need.
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 02:17:32 PM »
Get the best maps of the area that you can. Get over and drive it to learn it. Go to google earth pro and examine the area by satilite. Try and formulate multiple combinations to hunt. Going to be others there come hunting season. Write your plans down. When hunting season comes throw it all out the window and wing it. :yike:
I've slowed down enough in my old age to finally let the game catch up to me

Offline Soundbite

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 06:48:51 PM »
Tagging this. It's a problem for me too. I spend a ton of time in the woods and sometimes wonder if I could be more efficient with my time.

But I do have some things I've learned. First and most importantly, GoogleEarth and Onyxmaps. This is so important! You can save a ton of driving and hiking if you study up on maps first. Switch between the topo and satellite layers and really study how everything looks. Look again after your trips. Studying the good areas will show you what to look for next time.
This is also good for identifying access points like Kentrek said.
Hunting is mostly about being in the right spot. Maps are your most important tool.

A second suggestion: take up grouse hunting. Spend your weekends in September walking roads looking for birds. You'll see a ton of deer and you might start to notice where you see them most often. Like people said, more woods time leads to success. Having other interests that bring you to the woods is a huge help.

I am a beginner as well, I was lucky enough to get a buck last year and am going to try for bear and elk this year. Could not agree more with  :yeah:,both have helped me huge I also make a point to look for sign everywhere, lots of local walking trials and such have animals I find myself more aware all the time.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal