collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bottome fishing at Westport  (Read 5492 times)

Offline aldal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Bottome fishing at Westport
« on: May 24, 2016, 05:18:01 PM »
 Yesterday (Monday) went bottom fishing at Westport.  Fishing on the Hula Girl, we caught our limit of sea bass in about 1 hour. There was 14 0n the Hula Girl. Then after the lingcod. A lot slower but we did catch out limit of 28. Our biggest was 21 pounds, not bad. Even the wife caught her 1st. ling. Now she wants to go again. We did bring back 32 pounds of fish, so 16 pounds between us.
 Having lingcod tonight.

Al

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
Re: Bottome fishing at Westport
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 05:45:18 PM »
Great boat and captain! We sat in one spot and limited out on bottom fish and lings in 2-3 hours on the hula girl!

Offline Bow tech hunter

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 05:35:20 AM »
That's a awesome trip there I will be on the hula girl on July 17th which it was sooner but just was the month I and coworkers and friends can go bottom fishing can't wait

Offline LabChamp

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 06:53:51 AM »
Went out on the Slammer, and Freedom last week. I gotta say i prefer the Freedom over the Slammer. I found the crew of the Freedom much more friendly, while just as focused as getting us on the fish. Really makes the trip alot more fun when you have a Captain and crew that make an effort to have a good time with their clients. The guys on the Freedom have a blast with you. Fishing on the Freedom we used herring and i caught around 8 lings by myself, with a really nice fish around 20lbs, and several other keepers. Fishing in the Slammer, the whole boat only caught about 18 lings all day between 21 people. I did get one ling about 15 pounds on the Slammer so not a bust by any means, but no limits on lings. I was also dissapointed that the advertised fishing with live bait on the slammer didnt happen. We used older brown hearing tipped with strips of sea bass. Seemed like I got on this boat on the wrong day all around. No flounder for lings, the whole reason i booked with them, and not much fun to be on the boat will stear me back to the Freedom for my next trip just because of the fishing alone. I hate getting the bait and switch like we did on the slammer. Fishing with flounder all season but decide to take a day off during the weekend full boat trip? Come on guys....

Honest thoughts- after fishing the Slammer, I cancelled my Tuna trip with Deep Sea Charters bc of the way the lady deckhand treated her clients all day. Was honeslty a sight to behold. A young lady deckhand yelling at clients on the opposite side of the boat all day in a demeaning border line arrogant tone ALL DAY. I want to be clear, there were 2 deckhands. One young man, and one young lady about the same age. While the lady really put a dark mood on the boat and limited the amount of fun i was able to have on the trip... the other young man really went the extra mile and did fantasic work. Going out as a single it makes it alot more quiet trip if you dont have a fun crew LOL last thing you want to do is talk to the pissed or hung over deckhand to have them ignore you all together or just brush you off while they go do something else higher on their priority list.

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 06:55:51 PM »
Freedom is the way to go  :tup:  had a blast with them also...the crew is top notch and can't wait to go back
Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

Offline Becky

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 08:01:57 PM »
Went out on the Slammer, and Freedom last week. I gotta say i prefer the Freedom over the Slammer.   
I loved our trip on the Slammer, but we definitely agree with you about that chick! She was pretty dang snotty on our trip too, that's disappointing. I hope she's not there next year. The captain and other deckhand were totally awesome though I wonder why no flounder?? That's really odd, definitely made the difference for us vs other charters we've been on. Our boat limited out with 42 lings, including limits for the captain, two deckhands, and 4 people who were so sick they were unable to fish. Smossy caught 7, I got my 2, we brought home 43 lbs of fish between the two of us. Sorry about your experienc, that sucks for sure and I wouldn't go back either.

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 09:20:07 PM »
Went out on the Slammer, and Freedom last week. I gotta say i prefer the Freedom over the Slammer.   
I loved our trip on the Slammer, but we definitely agree with you about that chick! She was pretty dang snotty on our trip too, that's disappointing. I hope she's not there next year. The captain and other deckhand were totally awesome though I wonder why no flounder?? That's really odd, definitely made the difference for us vs other charters we've been on. Our boat limited out with 42 lings, including limits for the captain, two deckhands, and 4 people who were so sick they were unable to fish. Smossy caught 7, I got my 2, we brought home 43 lbs of fish between the two of us. Sorry about your experienc, that sucks for sure and I wouldn't go back either.

I've had great fishing for really nice averaged size lings several times on the Slammer.
Couldn't agree more on the deck hand issue though. She's a little too salty, and not in a fun way at all. Not excited to hear she's still there.
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline SemperFidelis97

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 09:36:33 PM »
I have fished on the Slammer quite a few times myself, and always had a great experience.  I decided to bring the family out for a bottomfishing trip last summer, and the girl deckhand was aboard unfortunately.  Now my wife doesn't really doesn't fish much so she needs some assistance which I was trying to do so the deckhands could assist other people, in the few instances that my wife had to deal directly with the girl in question she made her feel stupid enough that she won't go back out on a charter again with me.  I think Rhett would do himself a favor by sending that gal packing.

Offline LabChamp

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 09:55:45 PM »
Really sad to hear its been a consistent problem. Im sure her tips reflect her salty attitude.

I cant wait to go back and fish with the Freedom again. Im trying to go back for another 2 days of bottom fishing.

Anyone want to go? Also thinking about splitting it up and booking one day for deep water lings with All Rivers and one day with the freedom
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 10:32:36 PM by LabChamp »

Offline Westside88

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 10:16:02 PM »
Good deckhands make such a difference. Chuck (Freedom) runs a classy operation, I really think they like to catch fish. It doesn't always feel that way with all charters. The deckhands on the Freedom are top notch. I always tip deckhands, guides etc well because they really are the difference between a good experience and something less, but those guys work so hard and treat the clients so well I tipped more than usual.

Offline Becky

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 10:42:40 PM »
I have fished on the Slammer quite a few times myself, and always had a great experience.  I decided to bring the family out for a bottomfishing trip last summer, and the girl deckhand was aboard unfortunately.  Now my wife doesn't really doesn't fish much so she needs some assistance which I was trying to do so the deckhands could assist other people, in the few instances that my wife had to deal directly with the girl in question she made her feel stupid enough that she won't go back out on a charter again with me. I think Rhett would do himself a favor by sending that gal packing.
:yeah: That's really unfortunate, a lot of inexperienced people go on charters, if not maybe even the majority. I avoided talking to her, I figured maybe it was a girl thing  :chuckle: she got along fine with Smossy and was chatting it up.. but I found out he and others on our trip noticed her attitude too and saying "what's her problem". Pretty sure she got tipped well regardless, I know we gave them both the same :/

Offline slammercharters

• Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 11:45:25 PM »
Hi folks. Rhett here from the Slammer.
I want to give some input on the comments.
I fish flounder for Lingcod in the spring when I think it will help, some days the availability of the flounder coupled with the distance they are from the lingcod makes it a waste of time to get them. I would buy them if I could, but we have to catch them ourselves and some days the hour or more it takes (coupled with the run times) make it impossible to work out. After June 16 when it opens up for deeper water it is almost every day we use them. Some days the lings want pipe jigs or herring over flounder. Just never know, and adapt as we go.

Charlene (girl deckhand in question) is my daughter. She works 5 days a week in an office and busts her butt on my boat on the weekends. Some folks don't like her sense of humor. Some folks don't like that she is female. Most folks misunderstand her yelling as anger, when it really is the fact that her voice in a normal tone does not carry. She screams at me to turn the deck hose on... not because she is mad, but because otherwise I don't hear. I will have a talk with her about her treatment of people who don't understand instructions. She has far more people that like her than do not, but it is always a concern to me to get negative feedback.

I encourage anyone who fishes with me to come to me with their concerns, I do listen. I am independent of the office when it comes to the operation of my boat and I am well known for making things right.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 11:54:37 PM »
I have always heard nothing but good stuff about Rhett and the Slammer.  Especially from his Father in Law!   :chuckle:  Hey Rhett, is Don still around?

Offline 1000rrelkman

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2016, 06:13:55 AM »
New to fishing the Pacific Ovean after a lot of time on the Atlantic and what was one of the top 10 fishing places Grand Isle LA. Just getting use to fusing fish again when not chasing elk.

Are these flounder and ling in the harbor or the ocean?

Thanks
Elkman

Offline notellumcreek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2016, 10:01:39 AM »
New to fishing the Pacific Ovean after a lot of time on the Atlantic and what was one of the top 10 fishing places Grand Isle LA. Just getting use to fusing fish again when not chasing elk.

Are these flounder and ling in the harbor or the ocean?

Thanks
Elkman

You could catch flounder anywhere in the puget sound but you will have to go out somewhere off the peninsula to catch some lings.

Rhett- glad you got on here to address issues. I have been on your boat in previous years and have always had great experiences. I hope that you can get everything straightened out because these days a few negative comments on the internet can really hurt business.
CBM- commemorative bucks of michigannn

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal