collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Game Camera/Hunting Situation  (Read 4475 times)

Offline TLEVIN40

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
Game Camera/Hunting Situation
« on: May 25, 2016, 03:54:04 PM »
Have some private land on the eastside of the mountains(Leavenworth Area), on the property there is deer activity but it is not very huntable because of thick trees and brush, as well as being very steep. I have put a salt lick out with my game camera and it gets good activity, there is a couple nice bucks and hand full of does that regularly visit it. The only plus to it is about 500 yds behind the cabin is a old logging road, that is the only huntable land in the area. I want to throw a salt lick and box of apples out to see if it is a potential to be hunted. Few things make me hesitant. That may tip off people of deer/bear in the area.( Not like they didn't know being on the eastside of the mountains) the other thing is I don't want my camera to get stolen. Also it is such a short narrow area that even with some activity it will be difficult to get a good shot as they would need to be on or around the road.
Any advise or wisdom is more than welcome.
Thanks

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Game Camera/Hunting Situation
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 04:12:23 PM »
I am not sure what you are asking?  Is the logging road public and you are worried of attracting animals to an area anyone can hunt them?  Are you concerned about animals not dying on the private land and making it to another piece of property before they expire?  How many acres is the piece you are hunting that is private?
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Firedogg

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 04:34:50 PM »
Have some private land on the eastside of the mountains(Leavenworth Area), on the property there is deer activity but it is not very huntable because of thick trees and brush, as well as being very steep.

It's all huntable, you just need to adapt to the terrain and foliage. Good cover with food and escape routes are where the critters like to be. Get in there to get them.

As far as putting out your attractant and the camera, you don't have to put it in the open so it draws human attention, you put it out of sight and pattern which way the critters come into it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 07:11:44 PM by Firedogg »
There is no greater respect to have for wildlife than to harvest an animal fairly and use it's flesh to feed your family.  ~me

Offline Maverick

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 06:20:11 PM »
Sounds like you need to clear out some trees and brush for shooting lanes

Offline TLEVIN40

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 09:17:23 PM »
Rainer:
The road is on public land but is surround by private land mostly ours. I am more concerned with how much traffic the road actually gets as I have never put a camera on it. I am not concerned with the animal expiring on other land. I wasn't asking a specific questions just thoughts or advice similar to Firedogg and Maverick.

Maverick: I was thinking the same thing, just don't think it will work as it is pretty dense and steep other than the road. I will look into it this upcoming weekend. All need fire wood out in that area.

Firedogg: All good thoughts. Thanks

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 08:31:25 AM »
Got it.  I think I would put a camera out with no bait at first just to see what kind of activity is on the road. Without bait the odds of the cam getting spotted are slim.  Most people would leave it alone anyways.  Sounds like some thinning would be a good idea also to open it up a bit.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline LeviD1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery, Spokane Rifle Club, RMEF
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 05:51:35 PM »
I say thin your woods and hunt out of a treestand so you have a better view. Making your land optimal for you to hunt and better for game is fun in my opinion. Takes a lot of sweet and years depending on how much land but it pays off. 4 years ago before we started making our land better for habitat I used to not hardly ever get any elk or big bucks on cam. Now it gets better every year. This year being the best so far even though its early. Have 3 cows and 5 bulls consistently coming in with countless deer and bear walking through with cougar.

Offline stew pidasso

• GHOST FEET
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Shoot straight
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 08:03:32 PM »
All good information so far. BUT, we need pictures to give you all of what we know. You hold out, we hold out.
Don't forget your spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch.

Offline tonymiller7

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 07:06:39 AM »
Personally I would do what was suggested earlier and clear some ground and make shooting lanes on your property.  Don't put that stuff where others will find it, especially in the middle of a road.  Make your own little honey hole on your property out of the public eye.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal