collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blue widow for short dudes  (Read 3511 times)

Offline curtmdavis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Blue widow for short dudes
« on: May 26, 2016, 06:58:08 PM »
I know the eberlestock sucks vs everything else has been discussed ad nauseam, but  seems like the guys that don't like em have all been relatively tall. How do the less vertically blessed guys feel about them under a heavy load? Only 5-6 on my toes, so wondering if my shorter stature would make a difference with one of these packs?

Can't muster the finances for both a kifaru and a divorce attorney, and the 350 dollar price tag of the blue widow keeps me clear of the attorney ! 

Thanks all.

Offline nalley112

• Scout
Re: Blue widow for short dudes
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 09:17:38 PM »
i am 5'6'' tall.. i had the eberlestock j34..  very comfortable pack with 0-60lbs. i hunted the frank church in idaho for a spike camp hunt so packing up the mountain was no big deal.. the packout with camp and my buck was a different story.. i couldnt get it to stay up on my shoulders, adjusted it still the same problem.. i had this pack fit perfect by guys that know how to fit them so its not just me that i had it all adjusted wrong.. personally i would buy a more custom pack than a one size fits all. you can look into other pack companies like black creek or mystery ranch if kifaru is out of the equasion.
cortneynalleyphotography- instagram

Offline SemperFidelis97

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 03:58:38 PM »
I am 5'9, and have had my Blue widow loaded with quarters a couple times last year with zero issues.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Offline b.roberts

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 04:57:14 PM »
I love my eberestock j34.  For me it is just a daypack.   I like the scabbard for carrying a rifle.  I only used it once for a backpack hunt.  It was so painful with 70lbs.  I also didn't have the money for a kifaru, so I bought an rei xt85.   Big improvement for carrying heavy loads.

Now I can a afford a kifaru and it is just as awesome as every one says.  I still use my j34, but only as a daypack.

If you are looking to backpack hunt, I would head to rei.  It won't be camo, but it will be lighter and more comfortable than eberestock. 

I am not a tall guy either.  Cabela's and sportsman's warehouse often has eberestock packs.  Try it on before you buy.  I thought the blue widow was an extremely uncomfortable pack. The frame sheet in there made it feel like I was strapped to a half sheet of plywood.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline b.roberts

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 05:02:09 PM »
Also, there is a j34 in the classifieds, with accessories,  for $250. Pretty good deal if you go the eberestock route.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline GrampasGuns

• Scout
  • Groups: WWA, DU, RGS, NWTF
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 09:53:07 AM »
Don't forget about Www.camofire.com, I bought a 700 dollar mystery ranch bag for 350. And not to mention it was one of their last usa made bags! I'm 5'6 and love the marshall. Check in daily and you might get a great deal!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The deer are exactly where you find them, and no where you dont!

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 05:37:58 PM »
My son is 6'1" and loves his j34. One trip last fall with an elk quarter and no complaints. I'm 5'10" and have the x2 I've had it over 50 lbs several times and no complaints
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline milldozer

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 05:40:07 PM »
I have not posted in the classifieds yet, but I'm looking to sell my J34 "Just One" with rain cover and spike duffel.  It has served me well for two seasons, but I'm looking to upgrade.  As mentioned before, over 60 pounds makes for a rough ride.  But to your original point, I am 6'-2".  PM me if interested.

Offline curtmdavis

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 09:00:26 AM »
 Thanks all,
 Bought one from the classifieds, fits n feels well when loaded. I guess if you have a mega short torso like I do, it seems to work out ok for a guy.
 Did try one on at Sportsman's beforehand, loaded it with 4 bags of shot. Far cry from a long hump but not uncomfortable as far as the straps went.

Also,I  apologize to the guy at Sportsman's who probably thought I was trying to jack 4 bags of shot...... ;)

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal