collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wolves, a good thing?  (Read 48078 times)

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
Re: Wolves, a good thing?
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2016, 12:05:53 PM »
I can relate to only one part of this.  Yes, I would love to shoot a wolf someday, just not here.

T-minus 3 hours to some Cold Snacks.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2016, 12:14:32 PM »
Man has replaced the wolf, why do we need them?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2016, 12:18:00 PM »
Man has replaced the wolf, why do we need them?
Once man and hunting seasons happened, the balance the wolf and other predators kept went the way of the dodo, and was taken over by man. Both apex predators trying to maintain their ways is no good.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2016, 12:30:15 PM »
I always find it interesting.

If survival of the fittest is supported in nature by liberals (wolves make the prey stronger as a species), how can they turn around and preach support for drug dealers, criminals and lazy bums and not see the connection between the two.

I suppose they could say the same (but inverse) about the typical conservative.

Regardless, the biggest problem with your post is suggesting that you will EVER be able to shoot a wolf in this state (legally).  Whether it is good or not, the best way for liberal Seattle to end hunting is to reduce opportunity, increase cost and therefore decrease overall support for the sport.  They play the long game and its working.  Kids now don't grow up hunting.  Eventually their kids will vote for it to be illegal because killing game animals seems sparse.  Introducing predators does rebalance the herds... when you use them as a replacement for hunters.  The wolves will do nothing to help your hunting opportunity or quality of game animals.  They'll run through all of the sick ones and then take out the healthy ones. 

I watched a pack of wolves take down a BEAUTIFUL 6x6 in yellowstone.  When a kid asked their subaru driving parent with swarovski spotting scope why the wolves did it, the mom said "well that one must have been sick".  I said BS, they did it because they're hungry predators and they're out of food.

The thing is, with humans as the predators and developed brains, we can create programs to manage herds to preserve herds for future use.  Other predators do not manage their resources that way.  They grow in population until they wipe out the food source and then eventually fall into a natural balance.  They do not have the mental capacity to manage.  That being said... I often think ours are managed by idiots so I don't know if we're really better off.

I hope the wolves get sick and nature picks them off for us.

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2016, 12:31:35 PM »
Been beat up before but I'll be smiling even while I'm on the whipping post!

Heathy as in less disease.

Thought this would be a good one for a long weekend! :chuckle:
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline timberfaller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2016, 12:47:42 PM »
"a good thing?"

YEP had "man" left them right where they were!  NEVER was a need to relocate them,  they were migrating just fine on their own accord!!!

Government is about WASTING tax dollars, even if they has to CREATE ways of doing it!!!
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline Kittman

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, US Navy
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2016, 01:29:32 PM »
What Dogma one has to face these days.

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2016, 01:47:11 PM »
Please name ONE Western state with low predator rates....

We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2016, 02:32:47 PM »
Most diseases are from livestock and domesticated wild animals.

Man introduces the disease and the wolves move in and thrive on the diseased animals.

Offline MR5x5

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2016, 03:37:51 PM »
Are you really trying to compare the natural state of things 100 years ago with the natural state of things today and presume that they are somehow equitable in any significant way?

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2016, 03:43:33 PM »
Pretty sure this was just a trolling trip

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2016, 04:22:32 PM »
I always find it interesting.

If survival of the fittest is supported in nature by liberals (wolves make the prey stronger as a species), how can they turn around and preach support for drug dealers, criminals and lazy bums and not see the connection between the two.

I suppose they could say the same (but inverse) about the typical conservative.

Regardless, the biggest problem with your post is suggesting that you will EVER be able to shoot a wolf in this state (legally).  Whether it is good or not, the best way for liberal Seattle to end hunting is to reduce opportunity, increase cost and therefore decrease overall support for the sport.  They play the long game and its working.  Kids now don't grow up hunting.  Eventually their kids will vote for it to be illegal because killing game animals seems sparse.  Introducing predators does rebalance the herds... when you use them as a replacement for hunters.  The wolves will do nothing to help your hunting opportunity or quality of game animals.  They'll run through all of the sick ones and then take out the healthy ones. 

I watched a pack of wolves take down a BEAUTIFUL 6x6 in yellowstone.  When a kid asked their subaru driving parent with swarovski spotting scope why the wolves did it, the mom said "well that one must have been sick".  I said BS, they did it because they're hungry predators and they're out of food.

The thing is, with humans as the predators and developed brains, we can create programs to manage herds to preserve herds for future use.  Other predators do not manage their resources that way.  They grow in population until they wipe out the food source and then eventually fall into a natural balance.  They do not have the mental capacity to manage.  That being said... I often think ours are managed by idiots so I don't know if we're really better off.

I hope the wolves get sick and nature picks them off for us.
[/quotes well said Stang I was going to blow a gasket on this but have before and it does no good 15 plus years of wolves in Idaho have discredited all the they only kill the sick and weak not true we have found many a 6 point wolf kill and many not even eaten. Wolf reintroduction is simply a ploy to get rid of surplus game and then hunting I have a full body wolf mount and I hate it everytime I look at it it reminds me of how many elk they are killing

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2016, 04:41:44 PM »
They'll clean up the hoof rot so I guess the OP is correct there.

Otherwise the OP's post is so full of holes it's not really worthy of a reply so I suggest just reading up, there's some pretty good dialog and debate in the wolf forums going back 4+ years.   It'll keep you occupied for a while.

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2016, 08:22:18 PM »
Pretty sure this was just a trolling trip
No fishing going on here, the Sound is closed!

It also sounds like they are trophy hunters too!

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2016, 09:39:55 PM »
The herds pre-settlement are not always described as being so bountiful.  The lewis and clark journals talk about being near starvation for parts of their journey.  The only animals they'd see for days were wolves and bears.  They would have to eat their horses and leather.
They also thought that salmon were poisonous! They thought the natives were trying to kill the Lewis and Clark party by feeding it to them! And if I was starving a wolf or a bear would be on my table!

If humans took over for wolves we haven't been targeting the same group, sick and old, we look for healthy and strong. What's the average life span of an elk, is a 6x6 considered over the hill or prime of its life?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal