collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wolves, a good thing?  (Read 48081 times)

Offline Movemonger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Wolves, a good thing?
« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2016, 09:24:53 PM »
Most diseases are from livestock and domesticated wild animals.

Man introduces the disease and the wolves move in and thrive on the diseased animals.

What? Really?
If Guns kill people then the starting line causes "Red Lights"

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2016, 09:36:33 PM »
 :bash:

Wolves are a very very bad thing.  Come live among them for several years before you run your mouth and make yourself look stupid...

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2016, 11:05:21 PM »
Ok, I know this is a hot topic. I know wolves are killers. All I see is wolf bashing but not a lot of explaining why. (fade to Dana Carvey as George H. W. Bush) Bad, their bad, protecting them... wouldn't be prudent!

There are a lot of conspiracy theorists who think that the liberals don't want people hunting any more. Fact is more people are accepting the harvest of wild game as a good alternative to factory farms. Free range organic is what people want more and more of. My hunting partner and I joke that to buy the quality of meat that you can get from killing your own elk in the wild would cost $50 a pound in the stores in Seattle! Not that high a price but anyway.

People say that it will take away from their hunting opportunities, I don't want that either! But I'm the type of person who is willing to have hunting shut down in the burn areas for a couple of years so that the animals can have a chance to recover before we start hunting them again. Or shut down salmon fishing for a five year spawning cycle to let the salmon have a chance to recover, instead of pumping hatchery salmon into the streams just to say, "We have salmon there, lets fish!"

I keep hearing of diseases in deer, elk and moose. Some people say its livestock, some think it's the natural progression of things. How many would shoot a deer that is balding? Not me! Take the black death for example, bigger and bigger populations of people living in more and more concentrated areas (cities), living in squalor. Plague broke out and killed millions of people. Should we just let the diseases run their course and let the herds thin that way, maybe.

Do I think that WDFW is doing a good job? Absolutely not! They care more about run-ins with moose than have you seen a wolf! They need to listen to the ranchers, hunters and others who see them and document how many there actually are and keep the numbers in check. Respond when people have problem with wolves, not turn a blind eye.

I originally posted about natural selection because it is a theory, whether it could work...? The way things are now everything, as far as ecosystems go, has been influenced by man so much that we are constantly having to rewrite the book on how to manage the planet. One thing works and then it doesn't; One thing never works; Another stumbles along and then takes off.

So after you have all gotten done calling me names, I'm here to learn and talk about it. So if you're will to talk about it instead of yelling at me, my ears are open.

And the Bullwinkle thread was getting pretty stinking boring so I thought I might spice it up a little.  :chuckle:  :sry:

My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2016, 11:19:27 PM »
You really need to read up a bit. Go back in the wolf topics, you will find more info than you can imagine regarding wolves.  :twocents:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2016, 11:45:30 PM »
But in the way back past, when the game declined the wolves declined because no alternate food source.  So back in the settlement days, game declined and wolves came and ate the livestock.  Then humans were to be faced with the food shortage.  So they killed the wolves.  Now we've got a whole lot more people.

A whole lot more stupid people!

Offline Buckhunter82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2016, 12:19:33 AM »
Well isn't that ironic. The "white man" isn't hunting wolves in Washington, but the indigenous people are. You're right. They did and still do have symbiotic relationship.

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2016, 07:40:13 AM »
You really need to read up a bit. Go back in the wolf topics, you will find more info than you can imagine regarding wolves.  :twocents:

Exactly. 

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2016, 07:51:40 AM »
Ok, I know this is a hot topic. I know wolves are killers. All I see is wolf bashing but not a lot of explaining why. (fade to Dana Carvey as George H. W. Bush) Bad, their bad, protecting them... wouldn't be prudent!

There are a lot of conspiracy theorists who think that the liberals don't want people hunting any more. Fact is more people are accepting the harvest of wild game as a good alternative to factory farms. Free range organic is what people want more and more of. My hunting partner and I joke that to buy the quality of meat that you can get from killing your own elk in the wild would cost $50 a pound in the stores in Seattle! Not that high a price but anyway.

People say that it will take away from their hunting opportunities, I don't want that either! But I'm the type of person who is willing to have hunting shut down in the burn areas for a couple of years so that the animals can have a chance to recover before we start hunting them again. Or shut down salmon fishing for a five year spawning cycle to let the salmon have a chance to recover, instead of pumping hatchery salmon into the streams just to say, "We have salmon there, lets fish!"

I keep hearing of diseases in deer, elk and moose. Some people say its livestock, some think it's the natural progression of things. How many would shoot a deer that is balding? Not me! Take the black death for example, bigger and bigger populations of people living in more and more concentrated areas (cities), living in squalor. Plague broke out and killed millions of people. Should we just let the diseases run their course and let the herds thin that way, maybe.

Do I think that WDFW is doing a good job? Absolutely not! They care more about run-ins with moose than have you seen a wolf! They need to listen to the ranchers, hunters and others who see them and document how many there actually are and keep the numbers in check. Respond when people have problem with wolves, not turn a blind eye.

I originally posted about natural selection because it is a theory, whether it could work...? The way things are now everything, as far as ecosystems go, has been influenced by man so much that we are constantly having to rewrite the book on how to manage the planet. One thing works and then it doesn't; One thing never works; Another stumbles along and then takes off.

So after you have all gotten done calling me names, I'm here to learn and talk about it. So if you're will to talk about it instead of yelling at me, my ears are open.

And the Bullwinkle thread was getting pretty stinking boring so I thought I might spice it up a little.  :chuckle:  :sry:
The diseases you speak of aren't the result of over population.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2016, 05:55:50 PM »
Man I could have a ton of fun around camp with that mount. I have a cousin that wont walk outside at night without a flash light. He walked around the corner of his camper and saw that he would be cleaning his shorts :chuckle:
[/quote :tup:ha ha

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2016, 06:40:53 PM »
This guy won't stand by his points.

Waste of time.

My favorite so far is that the west is somehow short on predators.
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2016, 06:59:21 PM »

Exactly.

:yeah:this doesn't need to be discussed anymore it has truly been beat to death if you really want answers read prior threads if you are stirring the pot why?

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2016, 11:02:52 PM »
Started reading last night, made it through about the bottom third of page 38 of posts. Most post were SSS, When wolf tags go for sale in MT I'm there! and things like that. There were a couple of members asking the same questions as myself. I'll keep reading!

Gringo-
I'm going to take MT as a example:
I took this from HistoryNet: Between 1883 and 1927 Montana paid bounties on a staggering 111,545 wolves and 886,367 coyotes. Subsidizing both ranchers and wolfers, the state paid bounties on 23,575 wolves in 1899 alone. Under such pressure wolf populations declined so dramatically that in 1920 Montana paid bounties on only 17 gray wolves.

Compared to that the wolf numbers are low, under 550 minimum in 2015 (MFW&P). MT does keep track of Coyote numbers so I can't compare those. 2004 MT Grizzlies numbers in the Great Divide ecosystem were over 700 (MFW&P). 
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2016, 08:27:58 AM »
You said many states in the west had low predator rates.

False.

True, many states in the west have low populations of wolves and grizzly bears.

It's the same BS as they try to say from Yellowstone.  We created a problem to fix something that wasn't broke.  IF it needed tweaked, we had the ability to fix it.  Creating this massive problem isn't the answer and defending it is foolish IMO.
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2016, 08:41:52 AM »
There is definitely no shortage of predators in the west.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline ihunt

• Hunter
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2016, 09:06:21 AM »
Wolfs would be good if you have good management but you let them roam with no management it's horrible outcome

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal