collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Gmu247  (Read 5332 times)

Offline scoutdog346

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Gmu247
« on: May 29, 2016, 04:58:15 PM »
In your opinion l...When it comes to the special permit tags in GMU 247 r the mule over 150"+ migratory or resident? Im Having hard time understanding this because according to the data that I have read from the Department of Fish and Wildlife the migratorys  don't start coming out down into GMU247 until mid December.?

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Re: Gmu247
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 05:04:42 PM »
 There are resident bucks throughout the Wenatchee and Methow Valley's, however they get picked over pretty well until the migratory deer begin to show toward the middle of Oct. but increase in numbers around the first week of November. :twocents:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline muleracks

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 11:41:22 PM »
The migration of the mature bucks depends, to some extent, on higher elevation snow depth.  You can always count on them arriving in early November.
Hunt the western end of GMU 247 if we have a mild season and farther east; like Mud Creek area if we get heavy snow up valley.  Great permit so have fun.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 11:53:26 PM »
The migration of the mature bucks depends, to some extent, on higher elevation snow depth.  You can always count on them arriving in early November.
Hunt the western end of GMU 247 if we have a mild season and farther east; like Mud Creek area if we get heavy snow up valley.  Great permit so have fun.
This.  Mature bucks are with the does by 2nd week of November. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 02:05:51 PM »
The biologists on that area and a paper wdfw put out said the gps data said they do t start coming down until early December?

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 03:06:39 PM »
The biologists on that area and a paper wdfw put out said the gps data said they do t start coming down until early December?

Well if you had no intention of listening to the replies then why even pose the questions?

FWIW, if Doublelung takes the time to give specifics on a area, I'd take it as gospel! :twocents: ;)
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 03:13:24 PM »
Lol...im just wanting to hear other peoples opinions so i can have one. All  "  i was saying is i dontunderstand
It sure seems like the deer I see in November are bigger than resident bucks.

Offline crabcreekhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 05:46:30 PM »
Cause they are from the above mentioned information!  Yes the true migrators from entiat headwaters probably wont reach the traditional wintering grounds until december sometimes but there is 35- 40 miles of ground between the headwaters and the columbia that has migratory animals.  It is dependent on snow level, rut, and instincts and definitely vaties from year to year somewhat. 
"Courage is simply fear that has said its prayers"

Offline UBA

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 07:08:56 PM »
There is a steady flow of deer from late October thru December. If you draw the tag u will see deer.

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 07:27:09 AM »
O...ok i 4got ""true wintering grounds"" r differnt.  I wish the archery season was in late December.  The bucks r so much bigger then and it seems like there r way more too!  But then again it appears as if some of the bucks r still rutting hard in late November during archery gen. season. Mabe thats y its easer to get close to them during the late archery seaon...idk?

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 07:46:56 AM »
I confess I've not seen that data but it makes sense.  The migratory does with fawns make most of the migration (30 miles average, roughly) before heavy snowfall in the high country, either the last week of October or earlier if snow comes and sticks.  This journey, barring early snow, puts them on transition ranges, which are just a short distance (<5 miles) from the core winter range.  These are typically either burned over areas >2,500' elevation, or forested areas with heavy ceanothus ("buckbrush") or other highly nutritious shrubs understory.  They then stay on the transitional ranges until snow accumulation puts them on the core wintering areas, typically December.

Migratory buck behavior is a bit different.  Young and subdominant bucks start seeking out the does as soon as the rut urge hits them, typically late October-early November.  True dominant bucks stay on their summer ranges until heavy snow pushes them out, 12-15" or more - or the actual onset of breeding.  They are in the same vicinity as the does by the second week of November, but behaviorally they are much less visible than the younger, smaller zombies - unless there is an imminent breeding opportunity.  Peak breeding is typically 1st-3rd week of November, but breeding will occur as late as the second week of December.

The above is partly based on my experience working with rocky mountain mule deer in Wyoming, deer research specific to Chelan County, trying to keep up with mule deer research as it is published, and a fair bit of time the last 26 years spent observing mule deer behavior in the field.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 08:43:42 AM »
 :tup:   Nice post DOUBLELUNG.   Great explanation.  Those two paragraphs should be placed into long term memory.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline muleracks

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 03:59:19 PM »
Doublelung is right on.
We spend a lot of time at the high elevation (Wilderness) during the later weeks of September.  When it snows a little or we even get a cold rain, the does, fawns and young bucks move down quickly.  The mature bucks don't move and will hang around at 6000 feet in 1 foot of snow for some time.  By late October and early November they do begin to round up their harem and that is often down valley; Shady Pass, Tyee Mtn. or even farther down valley especially if we get heavy snow at 3000 feet.
Every year is different but by November there will be mature bucks with does in the Entiat GMU 247, 245, 246 and 250.   Special Permits are special.
Pack in General Season drop camps are also fun if you don't get a late season MF permit.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 08:19:31 PM »
I confess I've not seen that data but it makes sense.  The migratory does with fawns make most of the migration (30 miles average, roughly) before heavy snowfall in the high country, either the last week of October or earlier if snow comes and sticks.  This journey, barring early snow, puts them on transition ranges, which are just a short distance (<5 miles) from the core winter range.  These are typically either burned over areas >2,500' elevation, or forested areas with heavy ceanothus ("buckbrush") or other highly nutritious shrubs understory.  They then stay on the transitional ranges until snow accumulation puts them on the core wintering areas, typically December.

Migratory buck behavior is a bit different.  Young and subdominant bucks start seeking out the does as soon as the rut urge hits them, typically late October-early November.  True dominant bucks stay on their summer ranges until heavy snow pushes them out, 12-15" or more - or the actual onset of breeding.  They are in the same vicinity as the does by the second week of November, but behaviorally they are much less visible than the younger, smaller zombies - unless there is an imminent breeding opportunity.  Peak breeding is typically 1st-3rd week of November, but breeding will occur as late as the second week of December.

The above is partly based on my experience working with rocky mountain mule deer in Wyoming, deer research specific to Chelan County, trying to keep up with mule deer research as it is published, and a fair bit of time the last 26 years spent observing mule deer behavior in the field.

All of this should be copied and saved somewhere by anyone ever interested in hunting these permit hunts. This is really great information. Thanks for sharing, Doublelung.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand