collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pasture Fence Preference - Barbed Wire or Electric?  (Read 12412 times)

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Pasture Fence Preference - Barbed Wire or Electric?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2017, 03:03:47 PM »
I think I have decided on going with field fence 39" or 42" high, with 2 strands of barbed wire on top of that.  And probably a hot wire or two as well just because the previous owners left all of the equipment to do that.  After talking long term livestock goals with my wife we decided that most likely goats, pasture pigs, and other farm smaller farm critters are very likely, so going with the field fence to cover all bases seemed like the smart thing to do. 

So now to decide if I want to go with metal posts or wood posts.  Do you have to have an mechanical post driver to drive the smaller pointed wooden line posts or will a regular driver/hammer work in soft ground? 

Also, has anyone seen anyone carrying red T-posts?  If I go with t-posts, I would like to go with red to match what is already on the property but I haven't seen any anywhere.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2017, 09:41:20 PM »
Red t-posts are light duty. There were some in my fence line ehen I bought my land, they were the first to come out and be replaced with heavy green. 

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 07:53:50 AM »
The red posts we have installed right now are the heavy duty 1.33 #/ft posts.  I know there are some manufacturers making heavy duty posts in red, but can't find them locally.

http://www.grip-rite.com/us/en/products/wire-fence-and-accessories/post-and-accessories/studded-t-posts

Online Southpole

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 08:20:51 AM »
DO NOT electrify barbed wire!  Critters can get tangled up in it, panic due to the shock and die.  Very dangerous.  If you go barbed wire go with a minimum or 5 strands and 12.5 gauge if you can get it or no less than 14.  I have 5 strand 12.5 4 point barbed with stays between each post.  I also run a heavy gauge hot wire 12" off the ground and another 2' up from that. 
:yeah:  We don't take any chances with bovines. They're big strong dummies. I can't stand to see them get out because they can cause a lot of damage to a nice yard or god help you if someone hits one with a vehicle. Do what PolarBear suggests and build a 5 strand barb wire with hot wire on the inside for good insurance. It doesn't get any better than that.
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2017, 08:43:31 AM »
The red posts we have installed right now are the heavy duty 1.33 #/ft posts.  I know there are some manufacturers making heavy duty posts in red, but can't find them locally.

http://www.grip-rite.com/us/en/products/wire-fence-and-accessories/post-and-accessories/studded-t-posts
If all you can find are green then just paint them. My "Martha Stewart" wannabe Aunt insisted on all black t posts. They didn't come that way so I had to paint over a miles worth of t and wooden posts.

Offline timberfaller

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2017, 10:10:29 AM »
Having built and maintained miles and miles of barbed wire fences to keep cattle inside them,  Four strand with one electrified works pretty well.   Fence line was four steel T-post between treated wooden post.    You can insulate both the steel and wooden for making one strand electric.    I made the second strand from the bottom "Live" cattle tend to try and stick their heads through that one the most.   Most cows and calves once they've been "hit" a time or two learn.  Only the stubborn ones don't!  YOU send them to the slaughter house ASAP!

"Moose" will go through(don't jump) any kind of fence no matter how well it is built!!  So will two bull elk rutting!(their minds are on other things)  Been there done that!!

If you can find it, don't know if its still made, "Red Barbed" wire is the best,  cuts like a razor blade!

Good Luck!
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline mud

• Tracker
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2017, 01:41:22 PM »
I've tried a bit of everything, to include electrified barbed wire.  I didn't see it mentioned, but due to the resistive qualities of barbed wire, it REALLY takes the punch out of the shock and significantly reduces the length you can run compared to regular hot wire... 

Best fence I've ever run is "New Zealand" or "High Tension."  It's very comparable to what some folks on here were mentioning, but I run 5 strands, electrify 3, and I only need a post in the ground every 30'.  It looks WAY better than anything else.  My only escapees are when the young fainting goats faint from a shock they tend to fall through the strands. 

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2017, 07:58:17 PM »
My cross fencing  used to be the New Zeland stuff. The problem is that after a really dry summer, since it is in such high tension can pull your posts and sag. Another negative is that if your power goes out a critter can smell it and, especially cows will walk right though it. They won't with 4 barb barbed wire. I have been replacing all of my NZ wire with 12.5 gauge barbed. Unless you plan on cementing in wooden posts you will be re tightening a couple times per year.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 08:32:18 AM by PolarBear »

Online Southpole

• Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 07:40:08 AM »
It doesn't take long for a cow to know the hot wire isn't working  >:(
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2017, 08:36:48 AM »
 :yeah:
The bulls will actually cautiously smell the wire and if it isn't hot will try to push through.  Not sure if they can actually smell it or are just testing it with the fine hairs around their nose.  My cows and calves know better but bulls and steers seem to want to push their boundaries.  If anyone still wants to try NZ type fencing I have 3/4 of a spool that I would make you a deal on and will be taking a bunch more to the dump.  The only thing I use it for is around my garden to keep deer out and will probably be trashing that as well..

Offline lhrbull

• Scout
  • Groups: wafsf mdf sci
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2017, 10:09:09 PM »
what gauge is your NZ wire

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2017, 08:50:04 AM »
What does everyone prefer to use for corner posts?  Railroad ties? Pressure treated... round or square?  6" or 8"? 

Offline timberfaller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2017, 09:43:24 AM »
Round treated over square any day!!!    Wrapping barbed wire around a square post is a chore in and of itself!

Liked square for hanging gates on though!!  Set them in concrete too!!

Here is a video of fence building, not the best but gives a general idea.    Wooden stretch post with single tension wire, I put tension wire both directions.   Double wrap barbed wire around post and "lengthen" wrap the wire, wrap tight and wire will break when you go to tighten the loose strand next year.   Tricks of the trade!

« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 09:56:12 AM by timberfaller »
The only good tree, is a stump!

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2017, 10:30:49 AM »
I just talked to a friend and may be able to get a bunch of railroad ties for free from his brother who works for a RR company.  That may make my decision easier.   :chuckle: If not I am leaning toward round treated posts.  I will be putting them in concrete either way.  Maybe I will mix and match.  Use RR ties or square treated posts for the posts I will be using to hang gates and rounds for the rest. 

Offline elkdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2017, 08:17:41 AM »
I fenced my place with 5 stands off barn wire, no problems with cows getting out unless I leave a gate open. Cows will always sick there had thru three fenced to eat if they can, grass it's always greener on the other side. Put your wire on the inside and use all the wooden post you can. I use a electric to split my place in half, the cows know when it is of and will go thru it. Bottom line is if they have plenty to eat they won't go anywhere, but if you get one that does like to escape it will teach the others.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]