collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Coyote Hunting Lights?!?!?  (Read 11078 times)

Offline dan11011

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Hunter
Coyote Hunting Lights?!?!?
« on: June 07, 2016, 03:29:21 PM »
I have a predator problem on my property. They killed a llama last September. Yes, a llama. And we just lost two lambs a couple weeks ago. Other than hearing some coyotes howling during the day I haven't seen any action. I live in 124, 30 minutes from Mt Spokane. I'm almost positive the predators are ambitious coyotes. What do you think?

I'm wanting to get a light to hopefully spot the intruder at night and if it's a coyote, take it down. Anybody know about predator hunting lights? I've looked at the Wicked Lights which seem to be great but are a bit expensive.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
Re: Coyote Hunting Lights?!?!?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 04:03:48 PM »
Wicked lights are the way to go for weapons mounted. Hand held get light force. I spend hundreds of hrs every year hunting coyotes at night. These 2 brands are the best I have ever run and I have run most systems out there.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 04:07:13 PM »
I'd bet a cat got the llama, lot's of them in that area.

Offline dan11011

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 04:25:21 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll start with a gun mounted wicked light to find and possibly shoot the intruder. Then, if I seem to enjoy night hunting, get a scanning light too. Or should I get the scanner first? Yea I thought it was a cat, but the stomach was eaten up mostly which I thought was more of a dog thing..?

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 04:26:58 PM »
Depending on your budget they sell a combo with a scan light and one for the weapon. It's a nice combo.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 04:28:41 PM »
Depending on your budget they sell a combo with a scan light and one for the weapon. It's a nice combo.

It's been on my wish list for a long time

Offline dan11011

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 04:49:31 PM »
I believe it's about $330. It looks pretty nice but a bit expensive considering I've never night hunted. But if it ends up with a dead predator and fewer of our animals being killed, then it could be worth it. Would rather spend around $100 to begin.

Also just had something digging up the dead llama. Set up a trail camera to see what it is. I'm sure it's just some stupid stray dog and not the llama/lamb killer.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 05:01:34 PM »
Yeah then just grab a weapons mounted light. I am a dealer for them but if you are just getting one of the small setups my price with tax is about the same you can buy them from allpredatorcalls.com. If you get one of the bigger kits I can usually be a little cheaper.

Offline dan11011

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 05:14:57 PM »
I'll be sure to let you know if I go with a bigger kit. I'm having trouble understanding the difference between the gun mounted models? I know some have a slightly bigger head, and some adjust the power, but they are all within about $50 of each other and appear the same...

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 05:44:13 PM »
I still want a wicked light setup, but this is my current on the cheap setup:

I'm using a $20 Costco light
http://www.costco.com/Duracell-Durabeam-Ultra-1300-Lumen-Flashlight.product.100241717.html

I secure it to the gun with a $14 clamp from amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/iPROTECTM-Universal-Long-Gun-Mount/dp/B005BTT8JY?ie=UTF8&keywords=gun%20light%20mount&qid=1465346424&ref_=sr_1_2&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-2\

I have tactical scope rings from Burris XTR with picatinny tops to clamp the light too.

It works, I've shot Coyotes but I'm only good for 2oo yards in ideal conditions and the coyotes will run off unless there's a huge hog carcass to munch on  ;)

Next time I'm going to wire the carcass down and stake it and I'll use drive way motion alarms to notify me that a coyote has come

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 06:14:15 PM »
Some are fixed beam and some are zoom focus. So you can have a wide beam or a narrow beam that shines with more distance.

Offline predatorpro

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 06:25:30 PM »
Shotgun and a headlamp....and lip squeak it in...leave your light on the whole time and move very little!

Offline dan11011

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 07:16:18 PM »
All good info. What's the difference in colors? I know some reach a little further and are easier to see but is there a real difference?

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 07:20:19 PM »
I've read articles that said skip the red light just use white light, and I've read articles that said use red to spot them then a white kill light and I've read articles that said just use red and still other articles that say use a low power red to spot and high power red to shoot and all variations of such.

It depends on the coyotes in your area.  White light sends yotes around my area running soon as it pans across them.  I want to try red see if there's a difference.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 07:20:50 PM »
Some will tell you ya some will say nay. I like white light. I have killed far more under white light then anything else.

White light will give you the best visibility and range, followed by green and then red. Some people favor red because it's not as harsh as light and some predators like cats will look away when it's shinned in there face. While red does not seem to bother them. I still use white for everything.

Offline dan11011

• Hunter
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2016, 07:27:12 PM »
Sounds like white is a good way to start. Carpsniper have you used the new headlamp? Seems like it could work with a shotgun But impossible without a gun light for long shots. Sounds like white gun light, and white spot light of choice

Offline dan11011

• Hunter
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2016, 07:30:43 PM »
I'll post on here tomorrow  if I caught anything on the trail cam at the burial site.

As far as baiting with scraps and trim, should I dig a deep but narrow whole and throw that down there frozen? I want to keep it simple. Neighbor has some vitals from his pigs that he froze to give to me for bait.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2016, 07:45:20 PM »
I have not had any experience with the head lamps. I use a lightforce spotter most of the time to locate and then use the wicked lights on my gun to get keyed in on them and take a shot. I have read a few reviews and they are supposed to work pretty good. With a shotgun I bet they would be great. With a rifle I don't see how well a shooter could line up the head beam and look down the scope at the same time.

Offline dan11011

• Hunter
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2016, 07:48:05 PM »
Makes sense! What model wicked light do you have? Also do you sell demo models or know anyone with used ones?

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2016, 07:50:54 PM »
I just order what people want when they place the order. So I don't have any used stuff. Everyone loves them so I don't think anyone will part with theirs lol.

I have 3 one of each generation since they started.

Offline dan11011

• Hunter
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2016, 07:58:41 PM »
Great. I'll definitely order one from allpredatorcalls soon. Which light force do you have?

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2016, 08:10:50 PM »
I have 1 170 and 2 of the 240's. The 240's are pretty big so I would look at the 140 or 170. The are the best spotlight on the market you can sometimes find them on ebay cheaper. I started running them when down in new Zealand and was blown away I have wasted probably 1,000.00 on a lot of cheap junk spotlights. Nothing compares to them.

Yet for the avg joe that might use it a few times a year. The gold old q beam spotlights work very well for around 40.00 they don't shine as far and are not as bright but they were my fave before getting setup with light force.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2016, 09:52:57 PM »
Light force that plugs into the cigar lighter clipsnto gun or can be hand held. It will light them upfarther than most can shoot at night.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline dan11011

• Hunter
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2016, 09:55:11 PM »
Thanks for the opinion/info ^

Online Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2016, 07:02:49 AM »
I use these and LOVE them!  Red lens all night long, yes folks kill plenty with white lens, but if you ask the guys who do this type of hunting for a living most will say use a red lens.  Good luck, be safe, 100% identify your target (lots of critters come into calls at night, including deer and livestock) and have fun!!

http://elusivewildlife.com/shop/
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline dan11011

• Hunter
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2016, 07:52:07 AM »
Thanks I'll check them out. And yea the identifying is quite serious. I couldn't imagine shooting the neighbors scraggly dog on accident. I'll be sure to identify and know what I'm looking at.

Offline mud

• Tracker
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2016, 09:55:38 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Predator-Tactics-Night-Raid-Max-Kit-LED-Tactical-Hunting-Light-/311537133188?hash=item48890f6684:g:sS8AAOSwXshWq4OP

Here's what I run.  I've found green works the best.  Got my money's worth out of the first dead coyote.

Offline dan11011

• Hunter
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2016, 11:34:44 AM »
Great! Looks a lot like the wicked lights model. What makes you say green is the best? Is it easiest to spot predators or is it easiest to see your surroundings with? I feel like calling at night could create a really eerie spookie feeling. I've got lions in my area. Or is it a pretty fun hunt?

Offline biggfish

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2016, 11:45:40 AM »
Green light is the easiest light spectrum for the human eye to pick up in dark situations. There is a reason night vision uses the green light spectrum.
Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline dan11011

• Hunter
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2016, 11:46:56 AM »
Gotcha! That's the answer I was looking for!  :tup:

Online Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2016, 12:03:33 PM »
Might do a little more research, lots of guys believe green spooks yotes.  Check out Predator Masters Forum, some really good discussions on this very topic in the Night Time Hunting section at that site.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
Fred Moyer

Offline dan11011

• Hunter
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2016, 12:28:31 PM »
Yea I'll look around for some more opinions on the topic. I've read on tht forum a lot but am not a member

Offline dan11011

• Hunter
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2016, 10:01:35 PM »
Well I ended up getting a Wicked Light kit and am looking forward to using it. Thanks Carpsniperg2 for the help! I mounted one of the lights on my scope. Because of the type of scope rings holding my scope, I had to mount it in the rear. I don't think this should cause a problem other than a bit of the barrel blocking a sliver of the lights pattern when at the widest setting. Should be no problem.

Any tips on night calling sequences. I know of a den location and plan to start with a few welcoming howls before working some prey distress and then pup distress. Thoughts? Can't wait to get out there and enjoy some night time action!

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2016, 10:56:11 PM »
Welcome  :IBCOOL:

Online Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2016, 08:35:51 AM »
I like to start off very quiet at first, as the sound really carries at night, then increase the volume.  Are you using hand calls or a caller?  If you are using a hand call, really put some emotion into your calling.  If you are using a caller, switch up some sounds, yotes get called to a lot on the east side and switching up distress calls can be the ticket.
Fred Moyer

Offline mud

• Tracker
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2016, 11:53:42 AM »
Great! Looks a lot like the wicked lights model. What makes you say green is the best? Is it easiest to spot predators or is it easiest to see your surroundings with? I feel like calling at night could create a really eerie spookie feeling. I've got lions in my area. Or is it a pretty fun hunt?

biggfish nailed it.  Green seems to reflect light the best for me.  I can easily see a figure at 150 yds with green that I cannot detect with red.
We always used red in the USMC in tactical situations to preserve our "night vision" however.  Green lights up surroundings of the animal and doesn't spook easily like white.  Whether red/green work better than the other isn't for me to say.  I haven't had enough experience spotting critters.  When I do, none have spooked due to the light with either color.

I can't help with calls either.  Good luck though!

Offline dan11011

• Hunter
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2016, 06:23:24 AM »
Well I just spent my first night coyote hunting with the wicked lights both with green LEDs. I setup around 10 pm. and sat and called periodically throughout the night. Now looking back, I'm sure the full moon hurt me because  there was no snow to reflect and the coyotes probably felt scared since they could be more easily seen. I saw a few deer and could reflect eyes around 500yards. I howled back and forth with some coyotes but none would come in to the mighty green lights. At 5 am, it starterd lightly drizzling and I was about to call it quits. The sun was coming up and I no longer could use the lights. Out of the blue a little coyote came into view at 250 yards. Smoked em. Really healthy looking young coyote.

Turns out I didn't need the lights for this hunt and I could have just snuck in to position rights before sunrise  :chuckle:, but I learned a lot about hunting with the new lights and had a nice night under a beautiful full moon.

(sorry for bad grammar, I'm a wee bit tired)

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2016, 07:18:48 PM »
Sweet any dead coyote day or night is a good coyote!

Offline dan11011

• Hunter
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2016, 07:52:24 PM »
Thanks for all the help!  :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87