collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mill Creek Watershed ML Quality Bull  (Read 101513 times)

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Mill Creek Watershed ML Quality Bull
« Reply #270 on: November 04, 2016, 06:02:51 PM »
PA Ben it was a pleasure to meet you in person. I know you and your son in law worked hard in trying to kill a bull.

Where did you get the parachute at? My dad was impressed on how quick you guys packed up. And I hope your tool box lid survived the trip, noticed it was open when we passed you (saw you leaving Walla Walla when we went to get diesel).

Here is to a quick recovery!!   :party1:
It was great meeting you and your Dad. The lid made it. I got the parachute from cheaper than dirt.

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #271 on: November 04, 2016, 09:39:10 PM »
You worked harder than anyone who gets that tag.  You were prepared and you knew what you wanted from the  hunt.  You gave it your all and that something to be proud of!  My dad shot a bull out there with his cousin and after the pack they went home, leaving one tag unfilled because of how hard it was  to hunt that unit and get one out.  I was really hoping you would pull a good bull out of there because you earned it, but your journey has been motivational! 

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #272 on: November 05, 2016, 03:56:20 PM »
Way to give her hell "Ben".  This adventure may not be over yet.  Maybe it is just the start of this chapter?
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #273 on: November 05, 2016, 04:04:13 PM »
Looks like a success to me Pa Ben. You gave it all you had, and that's what it takes to kill elk in that miserable country. You got to experience it first hand!
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #274 on: November 05, 2016, 08:51:34 PM »
 :tup: Well darn but you had fun anyhows and that last bull man... Grats on at least drawing that tag and at least trying.
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline Landowner

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #275 on: November 06, 2016, 11:50:21 AM »
If you haven't been in this steep deep hell hole called the watershed, think twice or more before applying for the permit. 

One of the game wardens told me how he would show guys who drew a permit where to start their hunt by walking up to the edge and pointing down into it---and describing the shock on the faces of some who had never set eyes on it before celebrating getting drawn. 

Offline blacktailhunter

• Tracker
« Reply #276 on: November 07, 2016, 09:12:28 AM »
Helped a friend get an elk out of the Watershed on Saturday.  Left my house at 330am, arrived at the mill creek rd gate around 07:40.  3 of us took off on foot around 8:30 and made it back to the truck around 6pm.  Was home by 10:20pm. 1st time I have ever laid eyes in that unit, steep and deep is an understatement. Trail in from the bottom was mostly maintained, had to cross the creek a total of 14 times.  Luckily it was fairly mild out, getting wet crossing that creek would be an issue with freezing temps.

Offline JoeE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #277 on: November 07, 2016, 09:57:19 AM »
How big was the elk?

Offline TKElk

• Tracker
« Reply #278 on: November 08, 2016, 04:18:23 PM »
I made it back in town, and had a great hunt in the Watershed.  I enjoyed e very minute of it, and can't wait to get back in there again.  A little bit about my hunting party.  It was myself, my father, a long time hunting partner, and his son.  I have been hunting with my father, and long time hunting partner, since I started hunting as a boy.  Together, we have killed a lot of deer and elk, over the years, and have generated hundreds of hunting stories and memories that will last a lifetime.  We have been hunting, together, since the early 80's, and it was a complete pleasure to experience this adventure with them.

Friday - Set up camp, and cut/split wood for the entire hunting season.  Once camp was set, we did some last minute scouting, and put a couple of bulls to bed.  Both bulls made the list to check out on Saturday morning.

Saturday - My 70 year old father and I put on a couple of miles, before the sun rose, and then dropped into the shed, to check out that bulls that we located the night before.  As we were making our way, down the ridge, we found a little 5 point bull, in a little pocket, and decided to pass on him.  We located one of the bulls that we identified that night before, and decided to pass on him as well.  This bull was a 6 point, but we estimated him to be in the very low 300's.  Late that afternoon, our hunt turned into a "get the old man out of the shed, safely" activity.  By the end of the day, fatigue set in, on my father, negatively impacting his balance.  I took his pack, and all of his weight, and we slowly worked our way out of the shed, and back to the truck.

Sunday - I hunted the shed solo, worked my way down to Mill Creek, over a couple of ridges, and then back out.  During the course of the day, I spotted several bulls of interest, but they were over a mile away.  I got out of the Shed around dark, shared the info with my hunting party, and together, we built a strategy to get a closer look at the bulls I found.

Monday - Took the day to rest, and chose to drive to town and replenish supplies to get us through the end of the hunting season.

Tuesday - Made an approach on one of the bulls I identified on Sunday.  Had a good opportunity to shoot this bull, at just over 100 yards, but passed it up, as I estimated it to be around a 330ish bull (I have a 330 bull, and was looking for 350 or larger).

Wednesday - I ran into the same 5 point bull I found on opening day.  He was in the exact same location, just enjoying life.  I made my way down to Mill Creek, and back out.  It was a pretty slow day, I saw some cows , throughout the day, but did not see any larger bulls.  Wednesday evening, I decided that I would go back to where the 330 inch bull was, on Tuesday, and see if I could make a move on him.

Thursday - Made my way back to the area that I had located the 330 bull, spent the entire day there, but did not see that bull again.  It is possible that he was bumped out, by another hunter, but, I was pretty deep in the Shed, and never, did I see another hunter.

Friday -  Went back to find the 330 bull, but unsuccessful again.  After another long day in the Shed, I worked my way out, and back to camp, to re-strategize with my hunting party.  That evening, we decided it was best to make a move on the 5 point bull we saw on opening morning.  I had seen him, in the same little pocket, all week long.

Saturday - My long time hunting partner decided to join me.  He is 60 years old, and had not gone in the Shed with me yet.  We put on a few miles before the sun rose, and then got ourselves into position for the 5 point that I had observed all week.  Just before 9:00 am, the bull came out of the timber to feed.  We watched him, for about 20 minutes, as he fed, and moved in closer to us.  At 9:00 am, he was feeding below us, and at a perfect 85 yard broadside position.  My hunting partner quietly whispered "are you sure you want to take this bull?"  I replied "yes", and then squeezed a shot off a few moments later.  The bull humped, took two steps, and then collapsed.

As stated before, I thoroughly enjoyed this entire hunt.  The animals I saw, the scenery, the physical challenge, and the additional memories that I made with my longtime hunting partners.  I can't wait to win this tag again!!

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #279 on: November 08, 2016, 04:44:40 PM »
Nice bull and storey TKELK. :tup:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline BENCHLEG

• Sourdough
« Reply #280 on: November 08, 2016, 06:33:20 PM »
Congrats man that place will make you work hard for your elk. Thanks for sharing your story..

Offline 724wd

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #281 on: November 09, 2016, 09:58:07 AM »
Sounds like you had a great time on your hunt!  Awesome!  Nice bull, too!  :tup:

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #282 on: November 09, 2016, 10:07:48 AM »
 :tup: You made the most of it and got to hunt elk for a week straight, seeing bulls and no other people. On top of that,  you brought home a ton of great meat! Can't beat that!  :tup:
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline firefighter4607

• Sourdough
    • My Elk Story (picture of elk on my Avatar)
« Reply #283 on: November 09, 2016, 11:13:49 AM »
Congrats TLElk! Glad you were able to enjoy the hunt with hour family and friends.

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #284 on: November 10, 2016, 05:42:54 AM »
Sounds like you had a good time, I passed on a bull about that same size on my hunt. I wasn't going to pack a smaller bull out of there, but who knows, if I haven't pulled my hamstring I might have.  :dunno:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal