collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mill Creek Watershed ML Quality Bull  (Read 101524 times)

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Mill Creek Watershed ML Quality Bull
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2016, 01:31:20 PM »
The more I research this hunt the more I find out how hard of a hunt this is. I talked to a guy who grew up hunting the Blues and he said he will not put in for this hunt. It's one of the steepest hunts in the blues. So, that being said I hope to be in the best shape I've been in in awhile. I'm down 10 lbs and packed 70 lbs 2 miles the other day. I had to cut back on the wt because I almost blew out a calf muscle. Too much too fast. All in all I should be able to give this tag a good go at it.     

Offline cumminsbassguy

• Hunter
  • Groups: Spokane Bass Club
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2016, 04:06:48 PM »
with you muzzy, make sure you cover the barrel with a balloon or a rubber glove..    keeps water and stuff out.... and also not sure if its legal. ( says it has to be exposed to the weather), but cover the breech with a glove or a cut balloon to keep dirt and water out.  ( make sure you take them off after the hunt. do not forget to take them off or you can kiss that barrel good bye.)

Offline TKElk

• Tracker
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2016, 07:26:11 PM »
Good job PA Ben!  The terrain in this unit is no joke.  It is very steep and rocky, and the only way in is downhill, leaving only an uphill climb to get out :chuckle:.  The few times that my fearless 10 year old son has joined me in scouting this unit, he has told me I'm "nuts".  My conditioning work for this hunt has been as follows:

1. Running 15 - 20 miles per week
2. Crossfit training 4 times a week
3. 4 mile hike, with 1000 ft vertical gain, and weighted pack once per week.

My goal is to be in good enough shape to go deep into the unit everyday of the hunting season.  The fact that we have to be out of the unit, every night, makes the conditioning requirement , for this hunt, so extreme.

Keep up the hard work!

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2016, 09:41:28 PM »
I would strongly recommend this late in the game skipping any running and sticking with the crossfit and loading up a 60-100# pack and spend the bulk of your training time in as vertical of country as you can get in. As mentioned, having to be out each night is big chore in this unit when you are trying to get as deep as you can. Vertical loaded pack training is the key. :twocents:

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2016, 06:25:28 AM »
2 months isn't late in the game and I've been at scene March when I bought a new MT Bike. I just stepped it up when I drew this tag. My problem is pushing myself, at age 56 I want to climb the hills like I'm in my 20s.

Offline bobdog86

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2016, 09:02:42 AM »
2 months isn't late in the game and I've been at scene March when I bought a new MT Bike. I just stepped it up when I drew this tag. My problem is pushing myself, at age 56 I want to climb the hills like I'm in my 20s.
. You are gonna be fine.....it's about pace and persistence at this point.  No doubt it's gonna hurt, just pick a pace and stay persistent, will feel real easy to pull the plug at some point during the hunt, but your mental toughness will win. Enjoy yourself, pretty cool experience indeed.

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2016, 09:34:48 AM »
. You are gonna be fine.....it's about pace and persistence at this point.  No doubt it's gonna hurt, just pick a pace and stay persistent, will feel real easy to pull the plug at some point during the hunt, but your mental toughness will win. Enjoy yourself, pretty cool experience indeed.
I don't know if it's true but I heard a lot of hunters go home 2 to 3 days into this hunt because they are just too beat up.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2016, 09:40:30 AM »
I don't know if it's true but I heard a lot of hunters go home 2 to 3 days into this hunt because they are just too beat up.

Ben, have you made a trip down to scout or at least look at the country?
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2016, 09:45:20 AM »
It's true. Don't trash yourself on the opening day.  This hunt is a marathon.  Be patient and take your time.   Don't be afraid to hike out in the dark and enjoy yourself in that awesome canyon!!

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2016, 01:31:24 PM »
Yep, went down a couple of weeks ago. I might go down the middle of next month to find camping spots.
Ben, have you made a trip down to scout or at least look at the country?

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2016, 01:45:30 PM »
Awesome, you keep training and scouting; it'll come together.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline MHWASH

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2016, 02:46:35 PM »

My dad and I drew this tag when he was about your age. He was not in real good shape, so he hunted close to the top. He had his chance, but did not connect. I bust my butt every day and went in deep. I did not see a bull within shooting distance. The elk are where you find them, not neccisarily in the bottom.

Just don't make the mistake we did and camp on the Oregon side and hike in every morning. I don't remember how far the hike in was, but it took way too much energy and time.

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2016, 07:05:51 PM »

My dad and I drew this tag when he was about your age. He was not in real good shape, so he hunted close to the top. He had his chance, but did not connect. I bust my butt every day and went in deep. I did not see a bull within shooting distance. The elk are where you find them, not neccisarily in the bottom.

Just don't make the mistake we did and camp on the Oregon side and hike in every morning. I don't remember how far the hike in was, but it took way too much energy and time.
It's about a mile and a half to the Washington border. I'm not going to camp in just one spot, going light on the camp and sleep in the back of my pickup.

Offline Falcon

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2016, 08:58:11 PM »
Ben

Love your attitude.   I'm no spring chicken at 53. keep doing the best you can with conditioning. 
Your mental toughness will carry you thru.   Seen plenty of so called young tough guys wimp out quickly on a rough hunt.    It's about the adventure.   

Go big and cap off on a nice one👊💥👊

Bryan
Cast all your anxiety upon him, for he cares for you.    1 Peter 5:7

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2016, 12:54:19 AM »
watching this this sounds good. I've never had the chance at this hunt and always wanted to. Sucks one can't back pack and stay in that unit, that's what I wanted to do when I was younger. GL all yeah pretty much all strait up and down and Table rock nice pics. On that road up to table rock there used to be a small cabin or building there not sure it's still there or not? Been several years since I've been there. But my Grandad's friend said he used to stay there and run that trail long ago. Early 1900's or so. he was a cool old man.
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal