collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: best Westside elk unit  (Read 30023 times)

Offline 7mm Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: best Westside elk unit
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2016, 11:31:55 AM »
If your tag allows, NOOKSACK!

Offline Coastal_native

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Serving up Colockumelk since 2010
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2016, 12:22:55 PM »
The West side of the Olympic peninsula is horrible hunting, especially in the Quinault and Queets watersheds.  I thought I saw a bull once, but it turned out to be a naked hippy walking down the logging road.  I'd stay east of I-5. 
"Do it in the woods"

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2016, 12:25:23 PM »
As said before....  Lewis River, South Rainier for a Cascade Roosie or Quinalt or Clearwater for a real Roosie.

Oh now you started it!
"Cascade Rosie"

Wouldn't that be a "Columbia Coastal Cascade" or is that a "Bench leg Rosie"

:yike:

Yep if Elk gets killed down our way its definently a BENCH LEGGER ELK. :chuckle:
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline Falcon

• Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2016, 02:37:31 PM »
The West side of the Olympic peninsula is horrible hunting, especially in the Quinault and Queets watersheds.  I thought I saw a bull once, but it turned out to be a naked hippy walking down the logging road.  I'd stay east of I-5.

Ya, those 2 areas have been pretty shot out................................ NOT :yike:
Cast all your anxiety upon him, for he cares for you.    1 Peter 5:7

Offline Coastal_native

• Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2016, 05:55:42 PM »

Ya, those 2 areas have been pretty shot out................................ NOT :yike:

Seriously.  All kinds of treaty tribes up the coast.  The elk are dead.  If there were any left in the park, they were out competed by mountain goats.
"Do it in the woods"

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2016, 06:04:11 PM »
Hey, it was a nice day for a walk and it was hot outside!  :yike:

I'd say if you pick an OP GMU, hit it early.  Even set up your camp way early before the other bowhunters start moving in.  And don't be too surprised if the tribal hunters are hitting it hard right before each season opens.

Offline Falcon

• Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2016, 11:49:41 PM »

Seriously.  All kinds of treaty tribes up the coast.  The elk are dead.  If there were any left in the park, they were out competed by mountain goats.

I had a rifle rut tag in one of those units just a few years ago and I can assure you there were plenty of Bulls to be had.   I was warned about the tribal hunters.  Hunted hard for 8 days.  Never saw another hunter in the woods period :yike:     Nuff said. 

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2016, 12:54:52 AM »
Westside tag offers a lot of options, depends on what your looking for and what kind of hunting you like. I prefer the  513 and 516 areas and not only because im permitted for those areas but at least you can get away from all the brush and people. The bulls we take out of those units average 320+ but we have taking a few 350+bulls out of there also.If you have any questions dont hesitate to look us up information is free.lol
Good luck on all your hunting adventures
White Pass Outfitters

:yeah:
If I had the west side incentive tag I wouldn't hunt anywhere else if you want a big bull.  If you want to do a back pack hunt.  Hunt the goat rocks wilderness area.  Hunt it early and don't shoot anything smaller than 320.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline Coastal_native

• Sourdough
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2016, 08:01:20 AM »

I had a rifle rut tag in one of those units just a few years ago and I can assure you there were plenty of Bulls to be had.   I was warned about the tribal hunters.  Hunted hard for 8 days.  Never saw another hunter in the woods period :yike:     Nuff said.

Wasn't that like 8 years ago?  :chuckle:  Ok, ok, ok.  It's decent hunting, but things have changed a little since the timber companies have limited the access.  Lot more pressure on public land.
"Do it in the woods"

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2016, 08:39:32 AM »
Quinault, if you're willing to work. Steep, brushy, and road accessible only along the edges.  You can get up a lot of the forest service trails as they have been mostly cleared, but a lot of the old game trails we used to use are still a mess from the big wind storm in 2007. with no road access, the remoteness and steepness, the elk in the area don't have to go into the park to get old.  Not many elk taken out of that unit any more because most hunters don't want to work that hard. Back when the Quinault Ridge Road was open, people would drop off the top and hunt down to the South shore road, but not so much any more. Two and three mile packs in rough country aren't fun. But the animals are there. The younger sons of an old friend who used to hunt with us still hunt Quinault and they seem to find some mighty nice bulls.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2016, 09:16:05 AM »

Seems to have really picked up the last couple of years.  Especially early on, but mostly around clear cuts near roads.

Offline IBspoiled

• Longhunter
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2016, 09:47:45 AM »
This is a good read about the coast area, five of the currant record book modern firearm Roosevelt elk and three of the archery records come from west end units  :yike: And these are fairly recent recordshttp://www.gameandfishmag.com/hunting/hunting_elk-hunting_wo_1108_02/    These units have likely added more records to the books since this article was written  Good luck with your  great tag you have :tup:

Offline Falcon

• Sourdough
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2016, 10:33:42 AM »

Wasn't that like 8 years ago?  :chuckle:  Ok, ok, ok.  It's decent hunting, but things have changed a little since the timber companies have limited the access.  Lot more pressure on public land.

Ok you got me :chuckle:    The master hunter requirement keeps this area decent quality.  It's a small area with some good honey holes, but you got to work it.  My brother hunted with the incentive tag holder last year in that unit.  All I can say is I really need to draw this tag before I lose interest in big Rosie bulls :drool:

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2016, 10:52:32 AM »
tag

Offline EyeTooth

• Hunter