collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: you just hit them over the head with a stick.  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Old Mule

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
you just hit them over the head with a stick.
« on: June 12, 2016, 06:32:39 PM »
I thought I would share a story about my turkey Hunting experience, A friend of mine at work was always talking about how smart Turkeys are and that's why it was so hard for him to get one, well everyone knew I had some Hunting experience so they ask Me, I said I had never hunted Turkeys but in Idaho you have to case them off the road and as a joke I said you just need to hit them on the Head with a stick. Well this friend had some personal issues and just needed someone to talk to and ask if I would go turkey hunting with him over in Roslyn, I had to borrow the Kids shotgun and he gave me a couple of Turkey loads and we were on our way. when we arrived we got out and blew a Owl hooter and to my surprise 3 Toms answered from the next ridge over. My friend took the direct rout to the birds and I went around the back side of the ridge when I got there I heard a Gobble in the timber below me. I snuck down through the Timber and after a couple of hundred yards I saw something green through the trees when I looked with my bino's it was a roof of a house. I walked back up the ridge and sat down in a logged area and started glassing the deer and elk I could see from my vantage point, thats when I heard another Gobble below me the Tom was in the bottom of the cut and was strutting his stuff. Words cant describe how beautiful he was with the morning sun flashing off of his feathers and that neon blue head glowing like a light bulb. He worked his way up the fire trail and was getting close when I decided I would shoot when he reached the water bar about 30 yards from me, just before the bar he turned up hill so I hen called ( I forgot to say I didn't have a Turkey call so I was using an Elk Diaphragm) When I called he stood straight up and looked right at me, off he went running like a road runner up and over the ridge. I wasn't even disappointed the show he put on was well worth the trip. I walked up the ridge to the road and started to walk over and find my friend and was trying to make some hen calls when he Gobbled again so i called back and another Gobble and it sounded closer.  so I started to go that way and I noticed the sun was behind me and my shadow was about 40 feet long. I sat down right there. the problem was the ridge broke off steeply just 10 yards in front of me, I had the shotgun up and thought you are going to have to shoot quick because when he pops up he's going to see you for sure, just then i saw a patch of neon blue and one eye right in front of Me, Boom! I jumped up and ran over to him he was standing up with his wings braced against the ground holding himself up, I grabbed him by the neck and he tried to fly away so I grabbed a big stick and hit him on the head, I cant explain it I think the muzzle blast knocked him goofy just long enough for me to grab him but I do know he did not have one bb hole in him. He had a 9 inch beard and mice big spurs, that's my one and only turkey Hunting story but I think It's a good one, I went back to work and said I told you, You just hit them on the head with a stick.  :dunno:

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Re: you just hit them over the head with a stick.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 07:40:31 PM »
 :chuckle:

Offline Bucks2Ducks

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 07:43:51 PM »
Bet your buddy loved that! Good story, thanks.
When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom-Sitting Bull

Offline turkeydancer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 11:36:30 AM »
 :dunno:  I don't think they are smart, just very wary ... they know everything out there wants a free turkey dinner.  :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal