collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Backcountry attractant?  (Read 13910 times)

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Backcountry attractant?
« on: June 16, 2016, 04:29:02 PM »
Wondering if anyone hauls attractant into the backcountry to put in front of their camera? Going to put 3 cameras up about 3-5 mile hike in. Looking for something thats not super heavy but might get them to stop in front of the camera for a couple seconds. What do you use?

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Backcountry attractant?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 05:20:52 PM »
Three intersecting trails is usually the best option.   :chuckle:
Never have carried anything in. 

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 05:55:02 PM »
Wondering if anyone hauls attractant into the backcountry to put in front of their camera? Going to put 3 cameras up about 3-5 mile hike in. Looking for something thats not super heavy but might get them to stop in front of the camera for a couple seconds. What do you use?

I loaded my dad down with a jug of buck jam last year on a scouting trip because I had the tent and he brought this tiny backpack lol. I said no way here take this. I got tons of pics of deer and they tore it up.

Offline Craig

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 06:41:25 PM »
I have put the cameras up there before. Just looking for something to make them stop for a second and pose for the camera.

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 02:37:13 PM »
Salt lick.  I use the little 4lb trace mineral equine bricks from the feed store.  Easy to pack in and only cost about $3

this pic is just one or two days after i set a salt lick here.  critters find them fast.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 11:03:40 PM by Bango skank »

Offline HUNTaHOLIC5

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 02:47:25 PM »
Salt lick.  I use the little 4lb trace mineral equine bricks from the feed store.  Easy to pack in and only cost about $3
:yeah:

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2016, 09:48:59 AM »
I also use the small mineral licks. The critters love them.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2016, 11:25:02 AM »
I like granul salt. I have had bear pack off the little brick. I buy a bag of salt and trace minerals from north40 for about $8 for 50 lbs. then I just pack in what I want to.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2016, 11:44:42 AM »
I like granul salt. I have had bear pack off the little brick. I buy a bag of salt and trace minerals from north40 for about $8 for 50 lbs. then I just pack in what I want to.

Ill use that stuff in a couple areas that arent too tough to get to, but for any significant hike id rather take in a 4lb block or two.

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2016, 01:08:57 PM »
Ya I just put a few lbs in a separate bag or 32oz gator aid bottle.
Ill use that stuff in a couple areas that arent too tough to get to, but for any significant hike id rather take in a 4lb block or two.
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Elkaddict

• Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 11:52:04 AM »
I had the same question a few summers back so last year I did a little study with 3 different types of salt (all were the small 4lbers) and two different attractants (black magic and buck jam Apple). 

I placed a white pure salt and two different blocks with trace minerals out for the first soak.  After 3 weeks The clear winner was the block with selenium (not sure on the spelling). All 3 were licked but the selenium trace block was almost gone after 3 weeks. I then added the black magic next to the salt and found both deer and elk liked that as much as the block (another 3 week soak). I then added the buck jam apple and after 3 weeks the area where the selenium block and the black magic was dug and churned up and the buck jam spot not so much. I continued to replenish the trace block and the black magic until the snow flew, every 3 weeks or so when I swapped sd cards out of my cam.  When I hiked in 4 weeks ago to place my cam (running a little late this year) the area literally looked like it had been rototilled. In about a 3-4 foot circle the dirt had actually been eaten down 8" or so. I packed in more black magic and trace block and worked the black magic into the soil and put the block on top. I kept the buck jam container up there so I could fill it up with h20 from a nearby creek and not have to pack in h20. I pour the h20 all over the soil to really soak it in and give off scent.  On a side note, spray down your cam etc with scent killer or a bear will eat your camera.  Critters photoed? Deer, elk, bears bob cats, rabbits squirrels and ravens.  Hope this helps. For me, I have sure enjoyed the anticipation.

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 07:11:03 PM »
I had the same question a few summers back so last year I did a little study with 3 different types of salt (all were the small 4lbers) and two different attractants (black magic and buck jam Apple). 

I placed a white pure salt and two different blocks with trace minerals out for the first soak.  After 3 weeks The clear winner was the block with selenium (not sure on the spelling). All 3 were licked but the selenium trace block was almost gone after 3 weeks. I then added the black magic next to the salt and found both deer and elk liked that as much as the block (another 3 week soak). I then added the buck jam apple and after 3 weeks the area where the selenium block and the black magic was dug and churned up and the buck jam spot not so much. I continued to replenish the trace block and the black magic until the snow flew, every 3 weeks or so when I swapped sd cards out of my cam.  When I hiked in 4 weeks ago to place my cam (running a little late this year) the area literally looked like it had been rototilled. In about a 3-4 foot circle the dirt had actually been eaten down 8" or so. I packed in more black magic and trace block and worked the black magic into the soil and put the block on top. I kept the buck jam container up there so I could fill it up with h20 from a nearby creek and not have to pack in h20. I pour the h20 all over the soil to really soak it in and give off scent.  On a side note, spray down your cam etc with scent killer or a bear will eat your camera.  Critters photoed? Deer, elk, bears bob cats, rabbits squirrels and ravens.  Hope this helps. For me, I have sure enjoyed the anticipation.
What black magic did you use?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline Elkaddict

• Pilgrim
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 09:56:06 PM »
I use the Deer Cain black magic powder. Easy to pack in a long way.

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2016, 09:10:51 AM »
I use the Deer Cain black magic powder. Easy to pack in a long way.
Thanks

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Offline Craig

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2016, 11:25:14 AM »
I used some salt. Didn't have time to to run to Cabelas or another store. took my son and put 4 cameras up . 8 mile round trip. Will see how it goes in a couple months. Thanks for all the tips and advice.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]