collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cypress Island San Juan hunting charters and access information?  (Read 22617 times)

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Cypress Island San Juan hunting charters and access information?
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2016, 11:35:03 AM »
Gotta love Blacktail hunting!  Several earlier reports state that there are not nearly as many deer deer on Cypress as there are on the other SJIs.    johnsc6 has a much different take on the deer numbers. Perhaps the hunter just has to find the right spot.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2016, 11:56:38 AM »
If you are planning to take the Paraclete.  Just text the cell phone number on their web site.  They don't return phone calls very often, if at all.  We use them regularly for work and texting gets a response every time, usually after 6 pm.

Offline archerykraze

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2016, 09:11:56 AM »
Something to consider and I could be wrong but the 2nd deer tag for the islands have to be on private land. When you look in the regulation booklet on those hunts there is a C in the hunters note section which states hunting on private lands only. If this is the case, you will not be able to hunt all of the DNR land on the North end of the island for the "2nd tag" which would limit you to finding private land access off of Stawberry Island cove somewhere which would be a challenge. Hope this helps.

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2016, 09:44:27 AM »
After covering a lot of ground on this island my personal feeling is there are not as many Deer as people think. On different trips I have busted brush from Eagle harbor to Eagle cliff, and Duck lake, Eagle Harbor to nearly Cypress lake through the valleys and over the ridge tops, Secret Harbor to the ridge top, walked the road to the top of the island and busted brush back to Eagle harbor. Yes the Salal is where I have seen the most sign, but I have seen more sign and Deer in other areas of the state.  :twocents:

Don't get me wrong this is a fun hunt and is the closest I have found to hunting south east Alaska style and having the potential to shoot two Deer in one day. Plus it is awesome to put out crab pots and have the potential to drop a line in and catch a fall King too, which we did on one of the trips. Have fun and I hope you connect with a Deer or two!  :tup:
IAFF #3728

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2016, 12:05:55 AM »

Something to consider and I could be wrong but the 2nd deer tag for the islands have to be on private land. When you look in the regulation booklet on those hunts there is a C in the hunters note section which states hunting on private lands only. If this is the case, you will not be able to hunt all of the DNR land on the North end of the island for the "2nd tag" which would limit you to finding private land access off of Stawberry Island cove somewhere which would be a challenge. Hope this helps.

The way I read it, the C notation is just a warning that the area is mostly private land, and not a requirement that you hunt private land. Now that you bring it up I can see how it could be interpreted that way. But I think if hunting public land was prohibited, it would be made much more clearly.

Offline bear hunter

• BEAR HUNTER
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Union SheetMetal Worker 66- welder fab/WCO TRAPPER
    • Danny A Alvarez
  • Groups: WCW, RMEF, DU, BassMasters, WSTA, and Union Sportsmen's Alliaance
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2016, 11:40:26 AM »
Gotta love Blacktail hunting!  Several earlier reports state that there are not nearly as many deer deer on Cypress as there are on the other SJIs.    johnsc6 has a much different take on the deer numbers. Perhaps the hunter just has to find the right spot.
Thats because the dang coyote are there now. :bash:
Boar looking for Sow to hunt with. LOL

Offline bear hunter

• BEAR HUNTER
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Union SheetMetal Worker 66- welder fab/WCO TRAPPER
    • Danny A Alvarez
  • Groups: WCW, RMEF, DU, BassMasters, WSTA, and Union Sportsmen's Alliaance
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2016, 11:47:08 AM »
Wrong, They say that because most of the islands are private and if you don't have access don't apply. Thats why you should study the units before applying for PERMITS.  :twocents:
Boar looking for Sow to hunt with. LOL

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2016, 08:02:29 AM »

The way I read it, the C notation is just a warning that the area is mostly private land, and not a requirement that you hunt private land. Now that you bring it up I can see how it could be interpreted that way. But I think if hunting public land was prohibited, it would be made much more clearly.

This is the correct interpretation.  Living on one of these islands, I wish the state would make it even more clear that MOST are almost all private property.  Decatur only has three tiny pieces of public land and they are not even huntable.

The state did reduce the numbers of second deer tags substantially this year, not sure why.

Thats because the dang coyote are there now. :bash:

I saw one jogging down the shoreline south of Strawberry Bay Sunday morning while salmon fishing.

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2016, 02:32:59 PM »
Lokidog--any luck fishing?

I was up there Saturday-Sunday to fish but spent the weekend dealing with mechanical issues instead. :bash:

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2016, 10:02:29 PM »
Lokidog--any luck fishing?

I was up there Saturday-Sunday to fish but spent the weekend dealing with mechanical issues instead. :bash:

Got two dogfish on lures, didn't see any other fish caught.  I had heard glowing reports from Friday, but maybe the fish moved through, the current was cranking out there.

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2016, 10:38:43 PM »
Getting a dogfish on gear is something I generally take as  a sign that it is time to go home...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 02:41:23 PM by jamesfromseattle »

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2016, 09:15:46 AM »
 :yeah:    >:( >:(
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]