collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk Tactics 101 - Episode #12  (Read 6933 times)

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Elk Tactics 101 - Episode #12
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 03:16:41 PM »
P.S.   This bull is still head bobbing two hours after being shot. If he's still bleeding out, he's not doing it with much enthusiasm.    Give him a reason to die.    Shoot him again already.
I agree with you that he needs another arrow, as does every post on this thread. What I don't get is why you don't take into account that there are possible obstructions in the way of the arrow. If you take the shot and hit the branch that bull is gone. If there's no shot available, you let him lie until thermals or something else changes and you can move to an open shooting lane. See bull the bull = fling arrow, could just make a bad situation worse.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 03:26:34 PM »
If that shot looks intimidating I'd highly recommend people to start practicing threading the needle in brush

Things are rarely this good in this situation

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2016, 03:46:52 PM »
Sheesh, this is a pretty unobstructed shot for places that I elk hunt. Let er rip. I take a knee and float the pin anywhere behind the shoulder, mid body
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2016, 04:01:26 PM »
You have plenty of time to figure out how not to hit the limb....    and if he's alive two hours after the shot, he's not hit good enough for me.

A marginally hit elk could just decide to get up and leave the county.    Hit like that he might not leave a blood trail - he's had time to clot up.

i'd take the air out of him right there.
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline notsosneaky

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 04:09:08 PM »
Sneak in behind him and finish him off with your havalon.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2016, 04:11:56 PM »
The gap between branches is wider than the elk's body.  All but the slowest bows out there are gonna shoot flat enough to clear the branches.  As long as your top pin is under that limb, send it.  Anything can happpen in this scenario.  Heck a cow or another bull can come by and bump him up out of his bed, never to be seen again.  Side step, kneel, sit, hop on one leg, etc, but do what you have to do to get a second drain hole in him.  That is not a mortal wound in my opinion, its no mans land above the lungs and below the spine.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2016, 04:13:53 PM »
As far as shot placement goes, I would put it directly under my first hole. That scapula is all the way back and I don't want to be hitting there.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2016, 04:41:29 PM »
Good discussion. It is interesting the different opinions and how many people are clearly wrong!!!  :chuckle:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2016, 04:52:52 PM »
Good discussion. It is interesting the different opinions and how many people are clearly wrong!!!  :chuckle:

You're a big man to admit it when you're wrong.  :dunno:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2016, 05:57:47 PM »
 :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Good of you to admit it, Pman

:chuckle: :hello:
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2016, 06:36:45 AM »
 :chuckle:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2016, 07:58:52 PM »
Two options on shot for me . I will aim low on a bedded elk I'd put my fourty pin on that branch right bellow the original arrow , clears the branch and sticks the bull . Option two is drill him where the neck meets the head . I will always try and slip another arrow in always . The dead spot between lungs and spine never end well .Im surprised  that bull would even bed  after  being tracked .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2016, 12:19:57 PM »
I'm with you guys. More arrows asap. I feel like I could maneuver enough to get around any limbs.. I too have seen a "down animal" post high-five, get up and leave to never be found again.. Keep shooting till dead..

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2016, 12:40:41 PM »
The gap between branches is wider than the elk's body.  All but the slowest bows out there are gonna shoot flat enough to clear the branches.  As long as your top pin is under that limb, send it.  Anything can happpen in this scenario.  Heck a cow or another bull can come by and bump him up out of his bed, never to be seen again.  Side step, kneel, sit, hop on one leg, etc, but do what you have to do to get a second drain hole in him.  That is not a mortal wound in my opinion, its no mans land above the lungs and below the spine.

All these posts about seeing the limbs in the way for a shot: The way I read it, the shooter is where the arrow points in the picture, leading us to not be able to see/judge the limbs we're going to have to punch through from the angle of the picture. :dunno:  Also, I definitely don't think this shot is in the "void" area, because no animal I've seen is going to bed up right away and especially bob his head on a void shot.  I feel the bull was hit in the high lungs, which can take a while longer to keel him over. :twocents:  Plus, look at all the blood in the pic :chuckle:

I will agree with most about getting another arrow in him at first chance with a predetermined clear lane.  I also like the idea of the caller (second hunter) shooting simultaneously. Especially if you've decided to try and thread the needle on a semi clear lane.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal