collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: scentlok? anyone use it?  (Read 5184 times)

Offline poulsbo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
scentlok? anyone use it?
« on: February 03, 2009, 08:32:51 PM »
does anyone use scentlok clothing? if so whats your opinion of it? just opinions from people who have actually used it please.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Re: scentlok? anyone use it?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 08:34:40 PM »
I use a jacket that I got for writing an article for Eastmans.  Its a very nice jacket, but I use it because of that, not because of its scent lock abilities.  I personally think thats a scam

Offline yajsab

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 09:16:13 PM »
Never used it and I still have a hard time with the claim.  I worn non-scentlok clothing and have not been detected by the animal so far.  I say if you like their clothing, then buy it.  Sorry to chime in, just my  :twocents:

Offline poulsbo

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 05:44:29 PM »
i got a bunch for x-mas so what the heck i'll try it, i'll test it out while coyote hunting if it works on them it'll work on anything.

Offline Slider

• Frontiersman
    • www.albinovest.com
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 08:55:55 PM »
 :rolleyes:

Offline HawkenBob

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 04:07:17 PM »
Scentlok is a carbon liner. I design HVAC systems for Caterpillar and the like. We use carbon impregnated filter materials when specifeid. HEPA filters also use carbon. Carbon STOPS bacteria growth. Bacteria is what makes you stink. It also nuetralizes smell. So it has to work, at least better than nothing for sure. You would need to still take great percautions to hunt with the wind though. Your head is the worst. Front and backs of ears, hair and back of neck. Followed by lower back and chest and armpits. All of the latter could be controlled by a scentlok jacket. Add a bath in baking soda for the rest and your pretty good to go...
I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me to.

Offline muleysgirl13

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 05:11:02 PM »
We just got me a new pair of pants at Cabelas a few weeks ago.... obviously haven't tried them yet but my boyfriend uses scentlok (the competition) and loves it and Scentlok was the ONLY brand I could find that had pants that I liked that fit me.  They had NOTHING in the womens clothing department as far as camo.  My boyfriend was looking for a new pair of pants and it came down to a pair of scentlok pants or a pair of scentblocker pants and the only reason he choose the scentblocker was because it matched the jacket he has (and they were on sale  :) )  And they sponsor gettin close which is my favorite show  :)
BBD! Big Buck Down, Big Bull Down, Big Bird Down!

Offline BlackTail

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 10:03:31 PM »
I have a coat, with Scentlok, that I got a few years back.  I bought it, not because of the Scentlok, but because I liked the coat and that was the only way it was offered.  But I'm with Bone on this one, I think it's a scam.  In fact there was a class action lawsuit against Scentlok not too long ago because it basically CAN'T work they way they advertise it.  I did some research on activated carbon and tend to agree that it's effectiveness is at best overstated if not an outright lie.  The articles I read compared the scentlok to a sponge soaking up water (the scentlok soaks up oder).  They said that before you ever even get the coat out in the field it is probably already "saturated" with scent.  Now to re-active the carbon (wring out the sponge, if you will) it needs to be heated, in a low oxygen environment, to 1400+ degrees farenheit.  Hardly possible in your dryer. 

Also, there are so many external forces working that scentlok can't compensate for.  Were you wearing your clothes in your truck?  Did you have it on when you fried up your bacon and eggs back at camp?  Maybe you smoked a cigar sitting around the campfire that night.  Did they get stacked with your other laundry?  Even if scentlok worked as advertised all these things would make it impossible to "forget the wind, just hunt"!

But, just like my coat or muleysgirl13's pants, if you like the clothing that it's offered in then I say get it.  I just wouldn't pay extra for it, if I had the same option without it.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 06:41:15 AM »
 :yeah:

I cant imagine expecting the bellowing effect of moving in your clothing to not pump odors into the air. Warm air inside your garment will find its way out... These clothing are not a filter, more of a sponge as stated above.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline muleysgirl13

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 05:51:02 PM »
I agree with whats been said like I said they didn't have any other options in any brands of pants for me.  My boyfriend also has the scentblocker but we don't treat it as such we still take all the same precautions as if we didn't have it ... be aware of wind direction shower with odorless soap and shampoo and wash all our hunting clothing in odorless detergent.  Also when we get to camp we immediatly change out of our gear and into regular jackets and pants. A huge thing for us is the camp fire leaves ALOT of scent so be very cautious of that.  I like the brands because of their quality not so much for the scent block I just see that as a bit of added protection.  Not complete protection.
BBD! Big Buck Down, Big Bull Down, Big Bird Down!

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 05:58:20 PM »
Nope, I would rather be able to buy 5 outfits to hunt in during the early season instead of one. I think that keeps my sent down. I use cover up scents and just watch the wind. In early Sept. its so hot that I usually end up hunting in a short sleeve camo T and a light pair of cottom 5 pocket camo pants, everything is breathable stopping me from sweating.  :chuckle:
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

Offline Intruder

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 12:08:09 PM »
Mark another in the SCAM column.  I've seen too much data on this to believe it is viable.  It may be somewhat helpful the first 1 or 2 times you wear it but I wouldn't pay a dime more for it than like clothing without it. 

Offline Slider

• Frontiersman
    • www.albinovest.com
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 04:52:29 PM »
Some lures catch fish and some catch fisherman!!!............................. :chuckle:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal