collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wild Pigs in Washington  (Read 27825 times)

Offline smittyJ

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Wild Pigs in Washington
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2016, 07:18:24 AM »
15 years ago or so, there was a problem on the OP and there was a no season hunt. At the time it was said the pigs had been turned loose from a  game farm / hunting camp once owned by Clark Gable somewhere around Hood Canal. In recent years I have tried to research the article but can not find anything.

Offline 724wd

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2016, 08:56:32 AM »
Why not get hunters involved instead of spending $100K+ on a helicopter and crew?
Because of posts like the one above where hunters want a huntable population. The goal for ferel hogs in WA is complete eradication, as fast as possible, which it should be. WDFW really has nothing to do with the removal of ferel pigs, except when it involves one of their wildlife areas like it does this time.

:yeah:  WA cannot allow hogs to get a foothold in WA.  hunters are not very effective at eradicating them, but shooting them from a helicopter is pretty effective!  KILL THEM ALL!!!  Thank you to the WDFW for their efforts in keeping hogs out of WA!

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2016, 09:56:51 AM »
Why not do both? Have the helicopters out there on a schedule and open it up when they aren't. It's another opportunity for hunters to not only kill something but contribute to the health of the ecosystems.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2016, 10:00:06 AM »
Agree, turn hunters loose until a deadline, then use the birds.

Offline cavemann

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2016, 10:06:54 AM »
I'm with Curly on this one!!!

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2016, 12:26:05 PM »
Why not do both? Have the helicopters out there on a schedule and open it up when they aren't. It's another opportunity for hunters to not only kill something but contribute to the health of the ecosystems.
So you mean exactly what they are doing now?  :dunno:

Hunters can go shoot ferel hogs whenever they want.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2016, 06:54:41 AM »
So you mean exactly what they are doing now?  :dunno:

Hunters can go shoot ferel hogs whenever they want.
Just curious where you are getting that information?  I did a scan of the Regs and see no mention of hogs/pigs at all with regards to season or huntability.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2016, 08:22:04 AM »
Don't need a season for them, shoot all you want.  The only issue is that WDFW is closing the area.

Offline BlackRiverTaxidermy

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Joel - Owner/Taxidermist
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
    • BlackRiver Taxidermy
  • Groups: RMEF, DU, NRA, WSTA
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2016, 08:39:03 AM »
I know when there was a 'problem' with them in the Olympics years ago I was told by a bio that due to the fact that they are feral and considered invasive there is no restrictions on seasons or calibers....normal shooting and land access laws were still needing to be abided by, however everything else was a 'go get em' any way possible'.
WWW.blackrivertaxidermy.com
360-789-5056- Joel Swecker-BRT

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2016, 08:45:50 AM »
If they were going to be around for awhile you could get a pack of dogs.  In some states it's real popular to turn loose a few pitbulls and then spear the hog once the dogs have it held down.  The animal shelters in those places rush the pitbulls out to the hunters as soon as they come in, rather they go for hunting than to gangsters.

Offline cdriver

• Scout
  • wood stocks and hand calls James 2:14-18, USMC
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2016, 07:43:39 PM »
I wonder how the kill plan is going? Anyone hear/know what kind of results they are getting. That area opens back up next month, I bet a few hunters will be out seeing if any pigs are left.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2016, 08:03:42 PM »
If they were going to be around for awhile you could get a pack of dogs.  In some states it's real popular to turn loose a few pitbulls and then spear the hog once the dogs have it held down.  The animal shelters in those places rush the pitbulls out to the hunters as soon as they come in, rather they go for hunting than to gangsters.

Bull Arabs are the consummate pig dog. 

Offline cdriver

• Scout
  • wood stocks and hand calls James 2:14-18, USMC
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2016, 09:12:35 AM »
I'm trying to figure out which Desert Wildlife Area was closed last month for the air assault on the feral pigs. Was it the smaller one just east of Adams Rd or the larger unit east of Dodson Rd?  The small one holds Frenchman Hills Wasteway, the larger has Winchester Waterway. Thanks for any help.

Offline DTaylor86

• Pilgrim
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2016, 11:25:21 AM »
I know that in Kansas they had such a big problem with them that they STOPPED all hunting. It turned out that hunters were the ones planting them all over the state so that they could hunt them. So now there are no tags and they use professionals with dogs and they are having better luck.

Offline headshot5

• Sourdough
« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2016, 12:28:31 PM »
I know that in Kansas they had such a big problem with them that they STOPPED all hunting. It turned out that hunters were the ones planting them all over the state so that they could hunt them. So now there are no tags and they use professionals with dogs and they are having better luck.

Interesting, and I wouldn't doubt it is true.  Seems like pig hunting would be pretty fun.   It must suck for the landowners though. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal