collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ford 6.7 Powerstroke  (Read 12695 times)

Offline Encore 280

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Encore 280
Re: Ford 6.7 Powerstroke
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2016, 01:26:57 PM »
I've had my 2011 Cheby Duramax for a couple weeks now and so far so good except it was in the shop for a week having DEF upgrades done on it. I don't know how to post a CL listing but there's a really nice Ford Lariat 6.0 in there with really low miles and the guy has taken good care of it, it's in Port Orchard. I was thinking of buying it but talked to a mechanic and he recommended against it due to the 6.0. May be a nice truck for someone. :dunno:

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 05:36:23 PM »
We have three in our fleet now and have had a few problems with the rear ends.  Other than that they seam to be running pretty well. 

With that said, I am a dodge fan and can say first hand the dodges are great rigs.  Sounds like the new transmission is every bit as strong as the Alyson trany chevi uses.  Will be interesting to see how it all plays out in the next 3-4 years. 

Good luck with your purchase and make sure to post an update with pics.  Would also be nice to hear your review given some time behind the seat.   :tup:

Offline MagKarl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2016, 12:52:11 PM »
My uncle has an '11 6.7, I thought he was crazy to get the first model year but he's had no issues and still very happy with it.  it's amazingly smooth and quiet compared to my 7.3, it even makes my Civic seem noisy. :chuckle:

Offline engelwood

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2016, 01:32:30 PM »
2015 with bad EGR cooler at 48,000 and a 2014 with a bad EGR cooler at 55,000. Happened two weeks apart. Both warranty covered. No other issues with either.

Offline BrandonWatts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 06:47:01 AM »
2015 with bad EGR cooler at 48,000 and a 2014 with a bad EGR cooler at 55,000. Happened two weeks apart. Both warranty covered. No other issues with either.

This is what we been see in our fleet. Seem the egr cooler fail quit often. Also seem problems with the def pre heaters. Other then that they have been pretty good trucks. Our trucks see a lot of idle time which could be the main problem with the get coolers.

Offline whacker1

• Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 07:16:14 AM »
Has anyone found any long term solutions on the EGR cooler?  aftermarket solutions, etc?

Offline BrandonWatts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2016, 07:32:45 AM »
Deleting the whole system would be the best way to fix the problems.
Ford told us they had upgraded the egr coolers and once they were changed we shouldn't see anymore problems. Seem like once a year we were still having them changed out. But like I said our trucks see a lot of idle time. Most of them are buffer trucks. The f550 we have quick is a sign truck doesn't has any issues but a lot less idle time on it.

Offline whacker1

• Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2016, 08:11:34 AM »
Deleting the whole system would be the best way to fix the problems.
Ford told us they had upgraded the egr coolers and once they were changed we shouldn't see anymore problems. Seem like once a year we were still having them changed out. But like I said our trucks see a lot of idle time. Most of them are buffer trucks. The f550 we have quick is a sign truck doesn't has any issues but a lot less idle time on it.

are you seeing the same trucks going in once per year, or is it those that haven't been changed out yet.  Mine will be a daily driver, so stop and go traffic 3-5 days per week and running wide open on the highway 2-4 days per week.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2016, 08:21:36 AM »
Has anyone found any long term solutions on the EGR cooler?  aftermarket solutions, etc?

Bulletproof doesn't make one for the 6.7(yet I assume).
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline whacker1

• Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2016, 08:33:02 AM »

confirmed they do not offer one.  I inquired to see if a solution for the 6.7 is in the works.

Are you seeing the same trucks come back that have already had the EGR cooler replaced?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2016, 08:46:20 AM »

confirmed they do not offer one.  I inquired to see if a solution for the 6.7 is in the works.

Are you seeing the same trucks come back that have already had the EGR cooler replaced?

No.

One and done, and they're not nearly as expensive as the 6.0's as the labor is significantly less $$.
I agree with the idle time issues. Most of the 6.7 EGR coolers we've done recently are construction trucks off of the 520 project with lots of engine hours and not a lot of miles...like companies that change oil based off of hours rather than miles. Throws the fleet management companies off every time I call them.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline whacker1

• Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2016, 10:39:36 AM »

No.

One and done, and they're not nearly as expensive as the 6.0's as the labor is significantly less $$.
I agree with the idle time issues. Most of the 6.7 EGR coolers we've done recently are construction trucks off of the 520 project with lots of engine hours and not a lot of miles...like companies that change oil based off of hours rather than miles. Throws the fleet management companies off every time I call them.

So, Ford may have solved the problem with the EGR design....too be determined?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2016, 11:26:52 AM »
I don't think the majority of 6.7 trucks have enough miles on them yet to need a 2nd. Who knows...time will tell. I've got a few of them coming in that are in the 100k miles + club.

Offline BrandonWatts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2016, 02:34:33 PM »
We have had one truck that has had 2 egr cooler done under warranty. The truck is just about to roll over 100k. We have another one at a different location with an engine light on now, more then likely an egr cooler. That truck has 102k and it's the first egr failure for that truck. It will be the first one I will have to do. They dont look hard to change.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2016, 03:23:16 PM »
We have had one truck that has had 2 egr cooler done under warranty. The truck is just about to roll over 100k. We have another one at a different location with an engine light on now, more then likely an egr cooler. That truck has 102k and it's the first egr failure for that truck. It will be the first one I will have to do. They dont look hard to change.

With the 6.7's, the most common reason for a check engine light, if you ask me, is the exhaust gas temperature sensors.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand