collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wdfw pitching license fee increase  (Read 23010 times)

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Wdfw pitching license fee increase
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2016, 10:05:03 AM »
In 2001 an adult resident Washington Deer-Elk-Bear-Cougar license cost $72.27. This year the cost is $95.50. The average per year increase over the 15 year period was 1.88%.

During the same period of time, the CPI increased by an average of 2.07%. If license costs has increased at the same rate as the CPI, the license would cost $98.29 this year.
You are right, except I usually get small game with it so I'll pay $117.50 plus anything else I apply for (just spring bear probably), plus my $30 Discover Pass, plus my $30 NW Forest Pass. The reason I thought the fees were ridiculous was when my brother in law was considering coming out here to hunt. While my non resident for NY is $100-150, his for the same license you mentioned, would be $860.00 in Washington. I was flabbergasted. Maybe Bearpaw is right, and the quality of hunting is right up there, but I think if I was paying that kind of money I mine as well hold out for New Mexico's draw. A lot of you guys know a lot more than me about western hunting, but why would someone pay that to come here and shoot a spike when they can spend the same in several other states for better chances at better animals? I'm thinking of New Mexico and Idaho's lottery system or maybe Colorado's OTC licenses for some good areas. Why does a company like GoHunt service all these other states, and when you ask about Wa., it's next right after they finish the research on Oregon and Pennsylvania. So they do all the good western states, then Penn. and then Washington?!?! Sorry for the rant. I guess I'm talking apples and oranges compared to most of the guys complaining here about the fees.

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2016, 10:20:16 AM »
After listening to  Director Unsworth from Idaho I'm all for increase. I believe it to be his agenda to get more salmon and steelhead into Idaho rivers. What a better way to get that than get our part of the Columbia filled with more fish.  :tup:  I know I don't mind having more fish swim by our place!
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline Dhoey07

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
    • No Facebook for this guy
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2016, 10:41:44 AM »
In 2001 an adult resident Washington Deer-Elk-Bear-Cougar license cost $72.27. This year the cost is $95.50. The average per year increase over the 15 year period was 1.88%.

During the same period of time, the CPI increased by an average of 2.07%. If license costs has increased at the same rate as the CPI, the license would cost $98.29 this year.

I'm pretty sure the CPI is a westside thing. 

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2016, 10:48:40 AM »

It's a national statistic.

Offline Dhoey07

• Frontiersman
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2016, 10:55:05 AM »

It's a statistic based on metropolitan areas, which is why if you compare tag costs to CPI, it isn't apples to apples.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2016, 10:57:48 AM »

It's a statistic based on metropolitan areas, which is why if you compare tag costs to CPI, it isn't apples to apples.
What percentage increase per year have prices in your "non metropolitan" area increased in the last 15 years?
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Dhoey07

• Frontiersman
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2016, 11:02:05 AM »

What percentage increase per year have prices in your "non metropolitan" area increased in the last 15 years?

I don't know if this is a reputable source or not but googled popped up with this

https://inlandnw.wordpress.com/category/income/
https://inlandnw.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/spokanebirthsbymedicaid.png

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2016, 11:27:44 AM »
I don't really mind a small increase. I don't know much about the fishing side of it, but maybe since the WDFW's priority is fishing, and that's what most of the time and money is spent on, it would be fair to increase the fishing fees substantially more than the hunting fees.

They wasted $850,000 just on a referee for the wolf advisory group. I don't want my hunting license dollars used on something like that. Wolf money should be from the general fund, or anywhere besides hunters. Why should we be the group responsible for supporting wolves?

I don't know, it's just hard to support an increase in hunting fees when there are so many things making hunting worse in this state, or at least more expensive.

I expect to see a decrease in hunting license sales this year. Last year they propped sales up by moving the archery elk season back, adding many more GMUs to the early muzzleloader season, changing the Margaret GMU from a permit only elk hunt to general season, etc.

There was a lot of excitement last year because of that, in my opinion. This year, not so much. The timber company fees have increased yet again, and the number of access permits have become even more limited.

Personally, a small increase won't affect me much, I may just continue to buy only a deer license like I did this year. It was only $45 so if it goes up to $50 it's not a big deal.

Offline singleshot12

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • WWA,PF
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2016, 01:23:47 PM »
No salmon season and an increase from free to $17 for a catch record.  Sounds reasonable  :bash:

Crazy huh? They are dilusional. Out of touch and plain ole just ignorant of what we want and what their job is......fire them all and get some folks who aren't sitting on their brain.  :tung:

:yeah: nuff said!
NATURE HAS A WAY

"All good things must come to an end"

SEARCHING FOR TRUTH, SEARCHING FOR PURITY, something that doesn't really exist anymore..

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2016, 02:09:01 PM »
I think the simple solution is to just change your buying habbits. Your $ is the only real imput they care about. Last year i only purchased a cougar tag to go along with my waterfowl stuff... didnt even get out for that... perhaps its just time for a bunch of traditionally deer and elk hunters to turn i to bear or cougar and small game hunters. 2c you can do more "hunting" & give them a lot less.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Dhoey07

• Frontiersman
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2016, 01:04:11 PM »

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2016, 01:57:27 PM »
I think the simple solution is to just change your buying habbits. Your $ is the only real imput they care about. Last year i only purchased a cougar tag to go along with my waterfowl stuff... didnt even get out for that... perhaps its just time for a bunch of traditionally deer and elk hunters to turn i to bear or cougar and small game hunters. 2c you can do more "hunting" & give them a lot less.
I'm going this route.  Bear tag and small game this year.  The bear tag was included because of the reduced pricing for small game with that tag.  Otherwise, I'd have gone without it.  +No special permit apps for elk/deer. 
There are two other states that will get higher license revenues from me.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2016, 02:13:15 PM »
I'm going this route.  Bear tag and small game this year.  The bear tag was included because of the reduced pricing for small game with that tag.  Otherwise, I'd have gone without it.  +No special permit apps for elk/deer. 
There are two other states that will get higher license revenues from me.
It's what I've done the last few years.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand