collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Northcentral GMU General Conditions  (Read 2907 times)

Offline RallyDawg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Northcentral GMU General Conditions
« on: June 22, 2016, 02:59:07 PM »
I have been a WWA hunter my entire life but I have fallen in love with the country in the Pearrygin and Chuwuch Units and want to start deer hunting this area.  I have been in that country several times grouse hunting in the late summer but I have not been in this area during the fall (October).  I understand that this area receives a lot of hunting pressure during deer season but I am unfamiliar with the general conditions (i.e. weather, temp, seasonal access constraints, etc.) to expect and would like to be prepared.  Being a WWA, I am more outfitted and accustom to mild conditions and typically don’t have to worry about climate conditions affecting access so if I could get some general information for what to expect that would great.  Specifically, the areas I grouse hunt are typically between 6,500 and 8,000 ft. and I would like to return to those areas and get into some backcountry in the fall but would be worried about planning a hunt and spending time scouting areas that I will not be able to access come deer season.  Please feel free to PM me. 

Offline Wingin it

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Re: Northcentral GMU General Conditions
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 03:13:56 PM »
Well, assuming we are talking general season for modern firearm you can expect freezing temps at night and early morning. In the afternoons you can hunt in shorts and a tank top!

Offline RallyDawg

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 03:37:44 PM »
Correct, I will be hunting the general modern season.

Offline no.cen.wa

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 08:44:46 PM »
There has been very little weather to be worried about the last 5 or so years. last year got rained on at 6500 ft dragging my deer out, no snow on Windy Peak, in Pasayten. Coldest temp in camp at close to 6000 ft. was 13 degrees, warmed up to 40-50 during day.
Weather can always happen, just be prepared, I always check extended weather forcasts for winthrop, conconully and other areas around for any changes coming.
 Good Luck, don't shoot MY buck!

Offline RallyDawg

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 07:24:00 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I plan on spiking out a day or two from camp to access some areas away from roads and getting an idea of how cold over nights could be is helpful.  I know that it can snow on you in any month of the year in that country but if I prepare for some cold night temps I should be good. 

While I know that these units are hunted by many, how busy does it get in some of the areas away from roads?  Not looking for specific spots that don't receive a lot of pressure (I'll try and find those myself) but should I be expecting to see orange where ever I go? 

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 11:02:58 AM »
should I be expecting to see orange where ever I go?

Yes, always expect it, that way you are prepared. If you don't, consider it a bonus. :twocents:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline RallyDawg

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 08:28:02 AM »
I am sure they are up in higher elevations (above 6,00 ft.) and I will take the necessary precautions wile walking through areas but how are the snakes in this area?  I am planning a scouting trip in the next few weeks and thought I would ask in case there may be any surprises. 

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 01:12:35 PM »
I am sure they are up in higher elevations (above 6,00 ft.) and I will take the necessary precautions wile walking through areas but how are the snakes in this area?  I am planning a scouting trip in the next few weeks and thought I would ask in case there may be any surprises. 
I won't say it's impossible, but very rare to run into rattlers above 4,500' in WA
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline RallyDawg

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 01:52:48 PM »
That's what I thought too.  Thanks.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]