collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Another Lab trainer thread…  (Read 7596 times)

Offline Old Dog

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Old Dog
Re: Another Lab trainer thread…
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 09:06:38 AM »
 :yeah:  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
Hunt hard and shoot straight!

Offline wildweeds

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 11:23:10 AM »
As soon as you put " pointing" as the major component I feel your better off using a pointing dog trainer. The methodology between retrieving training and pointing dog training is night and day different.  R.J. at quicksilver has trained quite a few pointing labs, fact is he currently owns one himself. I've hunted with several he has trained. Biggest thing is you really need to pay attention and be consistent with following the method/instructions of what the trainer has done or its all for naught.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 10:01:52 PM »
As soon as you put " pointing" as the major component I feel your better off using a pointing dog trainer. The methodology between retrieving training and pointing dog training is night and day different.  R.J. at quicksilver has trained quite a few pointing labs, fact is he currently owns one himself. I've hunted with several he has trained. Biggest thing is you really need to pay attention and be consistent with following the method/instructions of what the trainer has done or its all for naught.

Here is the most basic requirement which nobody follows
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 10:04:12 PM »

After all the years of having championship and national level field trial pointers RJ just figured out how retrievers can hunt so much better 😊
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 10:06:06 PM »
Not to mention he hasn't even hunted over my 10 year old pointing Chesapeake nothing I love more than showing pointer guys what a real handling dog that will take a 200 yard cast looks like  :chuckle:
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Gamehunter034

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 02:50:22 AM »

Where are you located?  Pat Murphy in Monroe runs Apla stuff with some dogs and Butch Higgins has also trained several dogs for pointing.

WRL

I'm in Mill Creek. Near Everett.

Pat Murphy NW Performance Dogs (360) 862-8714

I have heard some good things about NW Performance Dogs, I do not have any experience with them though, I just recently spoke to a buddy of mine who has a pointer and sent her there and she does fantastic. I personally sent my lab 10yrs ago to Conway Kennels for retrieving training, he did the standard 2 months I couldn't afford the extra month at the time to have him "complete". He did do well in both duck hunting and pheasant, even pointing on his own at times. Sadly I just had to put him down due to cancer.
"A bad day hunting or fishing is better than a good day at work"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10