collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Clean and sober sportsmen.  (Read 35315 times)

Offline Ripper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sobriety is the spice of life.
    • Mark Wantola
    • Ripper Family Adventures
Clean and sober sportsmen.
« on: June 24, 2016, 11:03:19 AM »
As a sober guy I know it can be tough to find other clean and sober people to hang out with. This is especially difficult for people in early recovery. It's hard to sit around the campfire at night while everyone else is passing around the bottle or joint while you sit there sipping your diet coke.  If you are in this situation I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where you or I could go to find like minded people. I live in Arlington and if summer ever gets here I plan on having  a couple campfire nights out at my place for a clean and sober get together. If you are interested, post here or if you want to remain annonymous, pm me. I think it would be cool to get a deer or elk camp going where we can sit around drinking coffee and diet coke without the other temptations.  Anyone else interested? :dunno:
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not!

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Re: Clean and sober sportsmen.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 11:06:52 AM »
As a sober guy I know it can be tough to find other clean and sober people to hang out with. This is especially difficult for people in early recovery. It's hard to sit around the campfire at night while everyone else is passing around the bottle or joint while you sit there sipping your diet coke.  If you are in this situation I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where you or I could go to find like minded people. I live in Arlington and if summer ever gets here I plan on having  a couple campfire nights out at my place for a clean and sober get together. If you are interested, post here or if you want to remain annonymous, pm me. I think it would be cool to get a deer or elk camp going where we can sit around drinking coffee and diet coke without the other temptations.  Anyone else interested? :dunno:

Good for you Ripper, keep it up! :tup:

Now......you have to see the humor in this post, when you consider your avatar is a picture of a man that made his fame and fortune doing beer commercials. :chuckle:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Maverick

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2016, 11:23:51 AM »
As a pepsi man you lost me at diet coke.  :chuckle: this is a great idea and I'm sure youll find some guys to join up with you!

Offline Ripper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • Mark Wantola
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2016, 11:29:01 AM »
Ha ha huntnphool, I never even thought of that. Now that his face is associated with all of the Facebook memes, I guess I forgot about the beer commercials.   :chuckle:  Hey Maverick, we don't discriminate around my campfire, Pepsi is welcome.

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 11:42:50 AM »
Dr Pepper cool?  :chuckle:

Great idea bud!
Just tend your own and live.

Offline Ripper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • Mark Wantola
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 10:35:02 AM »
The good Dr is welcome. I really thought I'd see more interest in this. Could it be that I'm the only one? I'm like the kid in the corner with the dunce cap on.  :chuckle:  That's OK, I wear it well. I will post when I'm going to have an camp fire at the house. 

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 10:37:12 AM »
I drink but would much rather see guys stay away from it than some of the things I've seen that appear normal at elk camp.  I don't even understand why those guys buy a tag.....
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 10:52:55 AM »
I have always said that I go to "Elk Camp" not "Drinking Camp" as I take hunting too serious to get all hammered and try and hunt. I am a social/casual drinker and I do bring a few beers up to camp but it is never my intention to get all sloppy drunk while I'm up hunting. I actually really hate when I see people doing that as it really makes a bad name for hunters. The time for celebration is after you fill your tag not during the hunt.  :twocents:
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 11:43:57 AM »
I have always said that I go to "Elk Camp" not "Drinking Camp" as I take hunting too serious to get all hammered and try and hunt. I am a social/casual drinker and I do bring a few beers up to camp but it is never my intention to get all sloppy drunk while I'm up hunting. I actually really hate when I see people doing that as it really makes a bad name for hunters. The time for celebration is after you fill your tag not during the hunt.  :twocents:

:yeah:
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline Becky

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 11:48:16 AM »
That's an awesome offer ripper, good on you.  :tup:

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 11:52:51 AM »
Great idea ripper. Been sober for 6 years. Wish I would have had something like that back then. I'm kinda used to it now. I just head to bed early at camp. Don't have to listen to all the bs.  :chuckle:.
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline Eli346

• Eli
  • Past Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 03:33:19 PM »
Yep, it's elk camp  not drinking camp. 21 years for me.

Online Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 04:20:36 PM »
I am a casual drinker and will have one in celebration at camp.  I wait all year for 10 days of hunting, there is no way I am going to screw that up by being hung over even for one day.  If I tag out, one cocktail for me and then off to bed I go so I can be up and ready to help my buddies pack the next day or at least have a second set of eyes in the woods for them.  Hiking the next day without a bow or tag in your pocket weighing you down is a breeze.

Best of luck in your sobriety, one day at a time my friend.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 04:34:17 PM »
congrats on being sober..

Offline heronblu

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 08:50:38 PM »
Id be into meeting other sober hunters. Thanks for starting this thread. Sometimes it's just nice knowing that there are other folks out there.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal