collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pheasants for training  (Read 3524 times)

Offline Commando

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Pheasants for training
« on: June 24, 2016, 05:38:39 PM »
Anyone know where u can get some pheasants on the west side preferably in or around kitsap county for training my lab? I am wanting to get some late next month.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Pheasants for training
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2016, 11:10:54 PM »
Best chance is the bird auctions there is a group I used to buy from in gig harbor. Lost the contacts but, there is a group of active breeders out there
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Commando

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2016, 07:12:31 AM »
Thanks happy I will look into that

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 08:35:53 PM »
No ear as many folks raising birds in Kitsap as there used to be, I was one of the bigger breeders. There are a few people advertising on craigslist between Gig Harbor and Kingston but I think most of them are young birds that they are raising. Might be worth a call to see if they are selling the breeders from this year  :dunno:. Good luck.

Offline jjaba

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 09:58:58 AM »
might want to check peninsula bird hunters association. Their site is: http://birdhunters.homestead.com/
I know they are the ones that plant the release sites don't know if the person who owns the pens rasies/sells any or not. but it's a good starting point.
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal. -Albert Pike

Offline Birdguy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 04:43:39 PM »
might want to check peninsula bird hunters association. Their site is: http://birdhunters.homestead.com/
I know they are the ones that plant the release sites don't know if the person who owns the pens rasies/sells any or not. but it's a good starting point.

The Peninsula Bird Hunters Association just plants the state birds for the Mason/Kitsap county release sites during the western WA pheasant season. I was a member for many years. They just have the state birds so there will be none for sale.

Offline Birdguy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 08:43:14 AM »
I saw an ad on Craigslist last night for pheasants in Kingston, extra hens were $10. That could be the answer to your training request. Good luck!

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 11:51:55 AM »
Order chicks on line and rase them.

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 02:22:01 PM »
I was under the impression pheasant can be hard to raise? Or at least much more difficult than chickens or ducks? Any experiences?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline Birdguy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 05:34:33 PM »
I have raised hundreds and hundreds, and yes they are much tougher than most chickens and ducks. Raising any bird in western Washington can be tough because our weather can be so different. I will absolutely give you all the help I can if you decided to do it. I even have some brooding items I could lend you if needed to prevent the big $$ outlay to get started.

Offline WRL

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 09:38:31 PM »
Guy on Sauvie Island had some just the other day. Had about 300 of them I believe.

Let me see if I can get you some contact info.

WRL

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal