collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Early season pants on a budget  (Read 8409 times)

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: Early season pants on a budget
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 09:41:11 AM »
Prana zions are a nice hiking/climbing pant that would work well for early season hunting and they wont break the bank. They dont make them in camo though. If you shop around online for them you can find some pretty good deals. Picked up a pair for hiking this summer and ive really liked them.
  :yeah:still probably the best pant I own
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 09:42:03 AM »
I just bought some KUHL hippy pants at the REI. For being hippy clothes, they are darn comfortable and great in the heat. $75
we even cliff tested them and they passed.  Stick rape is real though and they did tear a bit
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 10:08:25 AM »
I just bought some KUHL hippy pants at the REI. For being hippy clothes, they are darn comfortable and great in the heat. $75
we even cliff tested them and they passed.  Stick rape is real though and they did tear a bit
:chuckle:

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 10:09:11 AM »
I have some cabelas xpg pants that I really like for summer hiking and scouting.
They are gray color and stay pretty cool

Offline swanny

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • 9to5active
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 02:29:28 PM »
Prana zions are a nice hiking/climbing pant that would work well for early season hunting and they wont break the bank. They dont make them in camo though. If you shop around online for them you can find some pretty good deals. Picked up a pair for hiking this summer and ive really liked them.
  :yeah:still probably the best pant I own

Another vote for these. Some of the most comfortable pants I've worn. Lived in them for two weeks hiking in Patagonia this past Decemeber. Comfortable, they move, and then stay clean too. Dirt sheds off them super well.

Offline crabcreekhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 03:05:20 AM »
Another vote for cabelas microtex use them for all seasons have insulated and uninsulated, do not get insulated for any type of hiking.  Unimsulated are awesome for backpacking with a layering system.  Mine are 10 years old or so now and a few burn throughs from fires and a pretty big hole from dirtbike pipe but gaiters cover it up.  Breath decent and dry incredibly quick, quiet, but do tend to pick up burs.
"Courage is simply fear that has said its prayers"

Offline bowguy

• bow guy
  • Scout
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2016, 06:05:53 AM »
I know this may sound weird but it works great for my dad and i is a pair of Walmart camo cotton pj pants. They are only like 8$ and hold up very well. Nice and light for hiking on the hot days. For cooler mornings we even have their fleece pj bottoms. Camo pattern is good on both. No I'm not cheap on gear is just the lightest stuff i have found that works great and widths feat on a budget.

Offline krout81

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2016, 06:23:22 AM »
I buy the same style chinese made ones at walmart. $12.88 and they are super light weight. I would rather buy a new pair each year then drop 200 plus on the top brands. That's just me though.

:yeah:  kids and wife fight over my money so my pittance only affords the wally world brand camo. :chuckle:

4 years ago I bought 4 pairs of un-insulated overalls from walmart on clearance in April for $5 a piece.  I should have bought the other 2 pairs and I regret it every time I look for them again because now they only have insulated ones.  All 4 pairs are still hanging in there but its almost time to replace them after 4 early seasons and 4 late.
Flinging Arrows with Thunderhead 125's since 1992 
Why Change now?

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2016, 07:41:50 AM »

Wish they made tall sizes.

They come in a 36" length which I would classify as tall.  I think they run a little longer than most also at least that's my experience..  These are the only pants I wear anymore..

Offline zackmioli

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2016, 12:15:46 AM »
picked up a pair of pants from eddie bauer the other day that are awesome. they are part of the first ascent line. $60. 4 way stretch. very light, dwr finish and shed dirt real well.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2016, 11:23:48 PM »
I have had great luck with cabelas microtex pants. For a "hunting" pant. Durable, nice pocket setup, and quiet.

Im curious how long you've had yours. When I looked at the reviews at the cabelas site, it looked like they've changed in the fit and possibly fabric quality ( and not for the better).

They were my go to for 5  years prior to 2012. Started to play with the "fancy" stuff around then and they played backup until final retirement last season.  Good to know about the possible changes, thanks for the heads up.

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2016, 03:23:21 PM »
i don't really care for the microtex myself, it attracts burrs like a magnet and they don't seem to wick sweat really well for me.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2016, 05:10:04 PM »
Bought a pair of Rustic Ridge half zip hiking pants at Sportsmans. Climbed Mt Adams with them last weekend. I was impressed with them in warm conditions down low and cold weather at the summit. I think they had dark grey, olive and tan. Most likely will be getting a couple pairs for early season archery. Oh , 35.00$ I believe...
Just tend your own and live.

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2016, 12:31:45 PM »
I got a pair of the prana zions on steep and cheap for 49 bucks, and snagged a pair of eddie bauer guide pants on one of their 50% off deals.
both are super comfy, although the prana zions are better in my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 12:58:23 PM by blackpowderhunter »

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal