collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Age to send Puppy to Training  (Read 6594 times)

Offline Ruger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Age to send Puppy to Training
« on: June 26, 2016, 02:12:51 PM »
What is the most common age recommendation for when to start sending a dog to training?  I know alot can depend on maturity, but there has to be some recommendations... 

Offline Wingin it

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Re: Age to send Puppy to Training
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 09:07:15 PM »
What type of dog? Pointer or flusher? How old is the pup now?

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 04:50:07 AM »
For formal training with a pointing dog, a year is about right.  Much earlier than that and your just wasting money.

Offline Ruger

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 09:52:25 PM »
Pup is 4 months  and a pointer

Offline asmith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 11:50:21 PM »
Good luck getting a strait answer here.  The couple professional trainers I spoke with while searching to get training for my pointer ALL said they would prefer to have the dog as soon as possible, to get them started on the right path.  It's easier to train right than to re-train the problems out. 

I've noticed two schools of thought when it comes to this very question.  1) wait a year and let your dog be a puppy.  2) start right away, 8-12 weeks, to lay the correct base foundation. 

Ultimately it's your decision.  I didn't get my GSP in till she was around 5 months for her first session and I feel I waited too long and should have got her in right away.
Right wing shooter, I aim for the left!!!

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 03:00:26 AM »

Offline asmith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
Right wing shooter, I aim for the left!!!

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 05:08:59 AM »
I sold literally hundreds of pups back when I raised labs and reccomended that if a pup was nine months or older that they go to a trainer the weekend following July fourth.  That gave the dog three months and then straight into the bird field with no break in between.  It worked very well that way.

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 09:01:13 AM »
Training a pointer is different than training a flushing dog.  That's why most trainers won't start formal training for pointing g dogs until about 1yr old.  A dog has to be mature enough to take the pressure, if they aren't, you can easily ruin them.  I know of dogs who still essentially can't be corrected because the trainer started putting pressure on them too young and they shut down.  They were never given the opportunity to grow, mature, and gain the confidence needed for formal training.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 09:49:17 AM »
Training a pointer is different than training a flushing dog.  That's why most trainers won't start formal training for pointing g dogs until about 1yr old.  A dog has to be mature enough to take the pressure, if they aren't, you can easily ruin them.  I know of dogs who still essentially can't be corrected because the trainer started putting pressure on them too young and they shut down.  They were never given the opportunity to grow, mature, and gain the confidence needed for formal training.

sounds like a trainer issue.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 11:23:35 AM »

sounds like a trainer issue.

It was a trainer issue!  ;-)

Offline Shannon

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 04:15:50 PM »
You can start training retrievers earlier IMO but I'm in the school of thought a year old or after there first hunting season with pointers. Let the pointers be pups that first year and have some fun. I think to much pressure shortens up there range and I want a dog that will get out there some.

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 05:54:00 PM »
A question from ignorance... but are pointers softer dogs than labs or is it the training is higher pressure or is it that they just mature that much slower than labs?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 06:07:26 PM »
Two totally different jobs that require two totally different outcomes.  With pointers, you want independence, cockiness, and drive.  I'm not sure what you want with retrievers since I don't own them, but from the trials Ive seen, independence isn't a necessarily a good thing with retrievers.  With pointers, if you put pressure on too early, you kill the independence and the drive.

Offline Wingin it

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 07:44:16 PM »
As already mentioned you have to be very careful with the amount of pressure you put on a young pointer. If it were me I would stick to the basics for this year. Have the trainer get the pup some good exposure to birds, and get the dog gun broke. Work on basic commands. Take the pup hunting this season without high expectations and just let the pup learn. If the dog doesn't point the bird don't shoot, etc. Then before next season the dog will be old enough to apply some more pressure and you'll see a big difference next hunting season. That is my opinion, that and a buck we'll get ya a cup coffee so take it for what it's worth! Just keep it fun this year and take whatever the dog gives you.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]