collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2016 178 quality elk permit  (Read 15314 times)

Offline 400out

• Radio Active YAR
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • HA HA! VERY FUNNY!
Re: 2016 178 quality elk permit
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 08:34:55 PM »
I guess he minded me asking! Good luck FYI outside the forest is tough
Granted the ability to cause a A nuclear explosion that produces a rapid release of energy from a higher power resulting in the sudden and catastrophic demise of a thread.

Confucius say:
A crowded elevator smells different to a midget!
Man that go to bed with itchy butt wake up with stinky fingers!
Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night.

Offline eastfork

• Hunter
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2016, 10:04:03 PM »
Good luck and kill a big one!!! Keep us posted......there are some good bulls there :tup: :tup:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2016, 08:34:14 AM »
I guess he minded me asking! Good luck FYI outside the forest is tough

I wouldn't post it online either if it were me.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2016, 09:38:32 AM »

got permission from a few land owners... now all I need is the elk to show up!

Well I drew with 7 points, it should have put in for 181 as my second choice and not 178, but I have the tag and it's early sept so why not.
 I always hunt the 175 unit and have taken a few cows and a spike.  But it's one of those things I will put in some time on foot see what there is. All I can do is ask for permission if I don't get any well then I guess that's how it is going to be.  All I can do is try
Your a like able enough to guy... Get down there and ask! Maybe you could stack all the haybales for someone to allow you access.

Good luck!
Good work on getting permission! I hope you have a awesome hunt!

Offline BrianF

• Pilgrim
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2016, 10:19:44 AM »
Should be a good hunt... things are looking good

got permission from a few land owners... now all I need is the elk to show up!

Well I drew with 7 points, it should have put in for 181 as my second choice and not 178, but I have the tag and it's early sept so why not.
 I always hunt the 175 unit and have taken a few cows and a spike.  But it's one of those things I will put in some time on foot see what there is. All I can do is ask for permission if I don't get any well then I guess that's how it is going to be.  All I can do is try
Your a like able enough to guy... Get down there and ask! Maybe you could stack all the haybales for someone to allow you access.

Good luck!
Good work on getting permission! I hope you have a awesome hunt!

Offline Muleyslyr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 07:13:36 PM »
Good for you dude! There's was a lot guys to jump on the negative train when you drew that tag. Not sure why, but glad you did your research and found some leads. Attitude is everything. Good luck to ya.

Offline ELKBURGER

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2016, 05:44:14 AM »
Good for you dude! There's was a lot guys to jump on the negative train when you drew that tag. Not sure why, but glad you did your research and found some leads. Attitude is everything. Good luck to ya.
:yeah: Way to stick with it. Good luck and we wish you the best!

Offline BrianF

• Pilgrim
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2016, 08:20:20 AM »
:yeah: Way to stick with it. Good luck and we wish you the best!

Thanks guys  ;)

Offline Netminder01

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2016, 08:42:21 AM »
tag

Offline ELKBURGER

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2016, 09:59:35 AM »
GMU 178 is highlighted in yellow. White areas are private land; blue areas are state land; yellow areas are BLM.
What does the dotted areas represent?? Hunting with written permission only??

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2016, 10:48:51 AM »
GMU 178 is highlighted in yellow. White areas are private land; blue areas are state land; yellow areas are BLM.
What does the dotted areas represent?? Hunting with written permission only??

I know a couple of those dotted pieces of land and I'm going to assume that, yes, those are hunt by written permission pieces.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2016, 08:20:27 PM »
 How's the hunt going?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline BrianF

• Pilgrim
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2016, 10:35:22 AM »
How's the hunt going?

So far so good, found some elk hunted on Monday and didn't seal the deal but no for lack of effort.  Leaving tomorrow at noon to head that way for a week.  Land owners have been good so far.  I will say this about the area it is a very tight nit community and you don't do anything or park anywhere with out someone asking you who you are and what your doing and if you have permission to hunt. 

Offline ELKBURGER

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2016, 01:04:16 PM »
How's the hunt going?

So far so good, found some elk hunted on Monday and didn't seal the deal but no for lack of effort.  Leaving tomorrow at noon to head that way for a week.  Land owners have been good so far.  I will say this about the area it is a very tight nit community and you don't do anything or park anywhere with out someone asking you who you are and what your doing and if you have permission to hunt.
Tight knit for sure. Keep on it, Best of luck!

Offline BrianF

• Pilgrim
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2016, 09:03:12 AM »
After 12 days of hunting hard hunting in the Peola unit I came home with some great memories and a few close calls and  unfilled bull permit.  This is not a easy hunt with a bow but it sure was fun.  When the elk were in the unit they were not to hard to find if you spent enough time behind the spotting scope but they were very very quiet.  Seems like I was always a step behind!  The elk love that 100-150 yard mark.  There were two masher bulls in the group and a very nice good 6 point, I managed to get a shot on the 6 point but at the shot he spun and the arrow hit him high.  I searched high and low for that elk with very little blood. I did bump him about 5 hours  after the shot and he ran up the ridge as if he wan't even hit.  So I backed out and the next morning I found him in a draw chasing cows.  It's unbelievable how tough they are.

The hunting was fantastic until the morning of the 16th the elk just vanished.. there were a few guys in the unit that were chasing cows around and a few other guys making loops on the roads with their pickups.  I found a spot in the elk fence that was smashed down to the ground in one spot.. I am pretty sure I know where the elk went.   

I got to see bulls fighting, chasing cows and bugle a few times.  This unit is a rifle mans paradise if the elk hold in the there.  I got to meet some new people both local and from this forum and learn about a cool place to hunt.  I have some thank you cards to write to some gracious land owners that allowed me to hunt on their land.   

But a word of caution, I was very very lucky to get to hunt the property that I got to hunt.  If you do not know someone from the area that knows some of the land owners or has hunted it in the past I would not apply for this tag other wise your going to be very very limited on where you can hunt.  There is some ground that is hunt by reservation only that belongs to Bennett lumber company that you can reserve to hunt for 3 day blocks but the elk move around so much it would be hard to bank on that.  There are a lot of land owners and people want to know who you are, where you are from, what you are doing and why.  EVERYONE stops and asks you what you are doing and wants to know who gave you permission. 

Good luck to all that apply in the future and I hope those of you who are reading this know it's not impossible but it's tough.  Thank you to everyone that chatted with me via text message and email. 

-Brian           

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal