collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: TV show stand killed deer  (Read 4321 times)

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
TV show stand killed deer
« on: July 12, 2016, 06:55:58 PM »
Just curious, why on the tv shows, they shoot and kill a deer from a stand, and the next scene they are on the deer and it is pitch black out?  Some of the newer shows do not do this,  but i just watched one and it's bugging me.  I really  need to get outside :)

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
Re: TV show stand killed deer
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 06:58:25 PM »
It's this thing that comes after daytime called night time. The sun goes down and it gets dark.
They shoot a deer from the treestand, give it a while to die, review footage of the shot and try not to bump the deer. After waiting a few hours it gets dark. They cut the video from the shot scene to the recovery scene so you as the viewer don't sit around waiting for a few hours like they do during the hunt. Cliff notes, it's magic.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 07:04:43 PM »
A few things:

First, they go back to camp to put the footage up on the big screen, check the shot placement, talk about it over coffee, let the deer die, even though it's clearly dead. 

Second, they want the "crew" to get out there and clean up the deer, remove the tongue, sew the mouth shut, clean the blood off from the nostrils and mouth and fur.  This happened on a ranch in Kansas that a buddy was on with Bill Jordan's crew.  They essentially had a make up artist clean the deer up. 

They may want to impart on the viewer the importance of waiting before the pursuit, but I doubt it.  They may want to show how the entire family, friends, and hunting companions, as well as all the outfitters crew, to be part of the "hunting experience" and the retrieval of game.  This way, more people are part of the hunt, more will be part of your hunt, and more product will be sold to the entire posse helping you retrieve your game 7 hours after you shot it

Hunting on the shows is VERY different than when I was brought up, and from what I prefer. 

I am also sure they get to sneak a few more product shots in to the show by having this "pause" between the shot and the retrieval. 

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 07:16:51 PM »
Yeah,  I am talking on the instances where the deer clearly went down in sight of the stand and it's clearly lights out.  Too weird for me.   That also brings up something I've noticed,  all the whitetails that are hit perfectly that run over 80 yards.   Rarely have i ever seen that in person.  Though i guess with light caliber guns with premium bullets might have similar results if no bones are hit.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 07:33:54 PM »
Yeah,  I am talking on the instances where the deer clearly went down in sight of the stand and it's clearly lights out.  Too weird for me.   That also brings up something I've noticed,  all the whitetails that are hit perfectly that run over 80 yards.   Rarely have i ever seen that in person.  Though i guess with light caliber guns with premium bullets might have similar results if no bones are hit.

Depends on the "premium bullet"
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline fish vacuum

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 01:07:11 AM »

That also brings up something I've noticed,  all the whitetails that are hit perfectly that run over 80 yards.   

I've seen some bad shots on hunting shows. And the guy/guide/host ALWAYS says "good shot" as the deer runs off.

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 05:26:54 AM »
main reason I think is they don't won't to bump other deer off the field in daylight hours or give up treestand locations to deer.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 06:21:49 AM »
Imo thats their agreed upon ethical standard. Shoot - wait til dark - retrieve.  But its dead? Hey just Follow the script. 
Plant food plots
Set up trail cams below stands
Bait near cams
Goto to stand with most game on cams
Wait, shoot, wait til dark, retrieve
Break for commercial
 :)

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 06:47:32 AM »
Imo thats their agreed upon ethical standard. Shoot - wait til dark - retrieve.  But its dead? Hey just Follow the script. 
Plant food plots
Bait near cams
Break for commercial

You forgot a few things:

Push every product you can by including "product shots" while you're on stand.  Make sure product logos are clearly visible for such things as the bow, clothing, binoculars, arrow, quiver, treestand, safety harness, Ozonics, etc.

Spend at least 7 minutes on stand with the hunter explaining the use of the products, and the hunting setup in a raspy whispering voice.  Make sure that the microphone is positioned so that the wind creates a high level of background noise, drowning out everything the hunter is whispering.  Have the hunter use sweeping hand motions to indicate where he expects the deer to move. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2016, 07:50:12 AM »
Not sure why, but these threads complaining about the way other people hunt always crack me up.
Sure it's a TV show, things are going to be different. When I lived back east and hunted from a tree stand, we always let deer go for an hour or 2 before retrieving. If they went down in plain sight, then maybe not, but if you shoot a deer an hour before last light and you wait a little bit, and you have to set up your camera stuff, etc, things don't happen in 5 minutes. You have to remember, it's a TV show. Things have to happen in order to make it a TV show. The other thing to remember is that people hunt differently in other areas of the country.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 08:08:37 AM »
Plant food plots
Bait near cams
Break for commercial

You forgot a few things:

Push every product you can by including "product shots" while you're on stand.  Make sure product logos are clearly visible for such things as the bow, clothing, binoculars, arrow, quiver, treestand, safety harness, Ozonics, etc.

Spend at least 7 minutes on stand with the hunter explaining the use of the products, and the hunting setup in a raspy whispering voice.  Make sure that the microphone is positioned so that the wind creates a high level of background noise, drowning out everything the hunter is whispering.  Have the hunter use sweeping hand motions to indicate where he expects the deer to move.
one thing to remember is outdoor channel isn't paying these people for content the show pays the outdoor channel for air time so money has to be made some where that's where all the sponsors come in.

Offline Squidward

• Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/ed.brooks.3781
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 08:34:33 AM »
I have wondered the same thing. on one of the shows I watched. They made comment that they were not the only hunters on the ranch and that they had to stay in the blind until dark as to not mess up the other hunters hunts.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal