collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Allan backpacking game bags  (Read 11084 times)

Offline Molon5labe

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA
Re: Allan backpacking game bags
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2016, 01:18:05 PM »
I got my KUIU game bags in the other week (got them early as part of the new Giru platform).  Really well designed.  Especially the boned out meat bag.  I think they'll be my new go to.  Hard to tell until after a season of hard use however.  I am impressed with the seems and the lack of a bottom seam.  For those who pack out on a Stone Glacier or other meat shelf type pack, the sides are orange for a little high vis with antlers on your pack.  I think they will be a big hit after this season.

I just ordered a few of these as well, I'm excited to get them bloody.

I'm still pretty new. What sizes and quantity bags should someone get for deer, bear and elk? Thanks

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2016, 01:27:01 PM »
Vacumed 4 full size Alaskan game bags.
Much more manageable and fit in pack pretty nice.
I do this too works great.  I just carry them in my pack when I hunt.  I can fit an elk in about 4 bags.

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2016, 01:29:41 PM »
Vacumed 4 full size Alaskan game bags.
Much more manageable and fit in pack pretty nice.
I do this too works great.  I just carry them in my pack when I hunt.  I can fit an elk in about 4 bags.

I vac-pack game bags as well.  Throw the bag into the pack at the start of season, and just leave it there until needed.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 09:07:59 AM »
I got my KUIU game bags in the other week (got them early as part of the new Giru platform).  Really well designed.  Especially the boned out meat bag.  I think they'll be my new go to.  Hard to tell until after a season of hard use however.  I am impressed with the seems and the lack of a bottom seam.  For those who pack out on a Stone Glacier or other meat shelf type pack, the sides are orange for a little high vis with antlers on your pack.  I think they will be a big hit after this season.

I just ordered a few of these as well, I'm excited to get them bloody.

I'm still pretty new. What sizes and quantity bags should someone get for deer, bear and elk? Thanks

It depends on if you're boning the meat out or quartering. You can get away with smaller bags if boning. I usually quarter unless I'm really deep and have a tough hike ahead of me.

For deer you can pretty much do it with two medium bags and 2 small bags (note: i'm an organization freak, 1 rear/1 front quarter per medium bag, 1 small bag for backstraps/tenderloins, 1 small bag for scrap). 2 large bags and a medium would work fine too.

For elk, 2 large and 2 medium bags would do you just fine I think.

I ordered 2 smalls, 2 mediums, 2 larges so I will pretty much be covered for all circumstances.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 09:53:13 AM »
Forgot about this.  Got the Allen bags saturday, but was gone at the NW mtn challenge.  Quality seems good.  Material is bulkier and thicker than BOMB bags by about double, but still light weight and packable.  A definite improvement over something like Alaska bags if you are looking to bone out meat.  Would be hard pressed to get a quarter in one of these whole, but it's been a long while since I quartered anything.  2 of the 4 will do a whole boned deer for sure.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2016, 06:36:40 AM »
I picked these up at Sportsman warehouse. These are good  bags, my regular bags same size are over 8 lbs for 8 bags these are just over 3 lbs for 8 bags. The bag says 4 bags I have 8 in this bag.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2016, 09:24:16 PM »
I use Caribou as the primary, and Allen as the backup (ie somebody gets second animal).  Haven't been disappointed yet.  Love the Caribou kit.

Offline maximus

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2016, 10:57:36 AM »
2nd the Caribou kit. The KUIU bags look good as well, as I'm very impressed with their gear in general.

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2016, 11:18:54 AM »
I just scored 4 of the large ones for my moose hunt this year.  They look to be very solid, and a lot lighter than others I have.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2016, 07:05:15 AM »
I take back any positive comments on these.  They are garbage.  The 4 moose quarters destroyed these things. Lucky I had the Alaskans as back up.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline highside74

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2016, 07:48:52 AM »
I can't believe not one person mentioned Blackovis game bags. You can get them on camofire.com for less than $40 or at Blackovis.com for less than the other guys and they are every bit the quality of Tag bags or Caribou gear.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal