collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Game Carts  (Read 28021 times)

Offline firemechanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Game Carts
« on: October 01, 2007, 08:46:44 PM »
Anyone have dimensions or ideas for a game cart? I'm going to build one this wek before muzzleloader elk. 2 or 3 wheels? dimensions? anything would be great. Thanks, Anthony
Muzzleloader-Deer, Elk and Bear.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
Re: Game Carts
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 08:50:40 PM »
Not sure of dimensions, etc...but this weekend we were using a two wheel game cart and we were commenting on how it would be great to have a third wheel up front to help balance on hills...like on a wheel barrel...but have the third wheel be adjustable, like those you find on camp trailers...just an idea.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 08:56:30 PM »
Last year I bought the magnum cart from cabelas, its pretty nice and I don't think you could buy the parts and steel for the price.

Offline Wea300mag

• Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 09:03:30 PM »
I have the Cabelas "Super Mag Hauler" but rarely hunt in places where I can use it. I'm usually too far away from the road in too much snow, brush, logs, etc. I works great if your path is a closed road or bare ridge.
Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes on the skyline

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 07:12:56 AM »
I will be welding one up this weekend, maybe I will post a pic when complete if not too ugly... My goal is a road cart. Low and wide. Maybe something I can drag behind my bike... I want all metal, no plastic...removable handle...brickschlitthouse rating...
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline arrowflinger

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/ChasingWildCreatures
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 07:28:00 AM »
I have a Mag Hauler also, love it......hauls very thing I can put on it. Also use it to haul goose decoys into a field. Just my 2 cents.

Offline bowpredator

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 08:30:52 AM »
we use a military cot with a mt bike wheel under it, its about 25 yrs old and works great, you just need 2 people to work it. having a single wheel works great in clear cuts.

RODGER

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 08:37:46 AM »
is a game cart legal where bicycles are not legal?
wilderness areas?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 08:42:53 AM »
No they aren't legal in wilderness areas.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 08:44:35 AM »
didn't think so.
thanks bobcat.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline firemechanic

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 09:17:42 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. I like the idea with the old army stretcher. I know where i can get one free and i'm thinkin' that i will have all of the wheels removeable, that way i can have it 1 wheel, like a wheel burrow, and add 2 wheels to the rear. Thanks again, Anthony
PS-this website frickin' rocks!
Muzzleloader-Deer, Elk and Bear.

Offline bearhunter59

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2007, 10:10:37 AM »
just to confirm Bobcats reply, you can checkout page 7 of the "Cascade Compass" http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/mbs/publications/MtBakerSnoqualmie_VisitorGuide2003.pdf.
Bullet point#2, under "Wilderness Regulations" states "Motorized and mechanized equipment is prohibited (including bicycles, carts, chainsaws, and hang gliders). Landing of any aircraft, or dropping or picking up of any material, supplies or person(s) is prohibited."

That was a new one on me...didn't know that before...good to know.

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2007, 10:38:30 AM »
A key reason to understand and watch out for new wilderness designations. It's really pathetic when the Forest Service takes 2 months to clear a trail in the wilderness simply because they won't\can't do it with chainsaws and requires manual labor. Also - I love riding mountain bikes on dirt trails. Nope - can't do it either.  :DOH:

In reality - it would be very hard to take a game cart and use it in most wilderness areas though  :chuckle:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 10:47:50 AM by huntwa »

Offline Choclab

• Longhunter
  • Stubby
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2007, 11:15:22 AM »
I bought one for 50 bucks a couple weeks ago. Looks like it will help me quite a bit. I am using for waterfowl is all. I am going to fabricate some wider sled tracks for use in the snow, but the wheels will work for now
Eastsider stuck on the wetside......

Offline Hunting Cowboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2007, 04:11:31 PM »
I agree with actionshooter, I could'nt buy the parts for what I paid for mine, although I understand the enjoyment and satusfaction of doing it yourself. I'm still waiting to get lucky enough to be in a spot that I can use it. Seems I 've had to break down and packout my animals. I'm hoping to put mine to use this year.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2007, 04:22:09 PM »
thats pretty much the reason i haven't pulled the trigger yet on one...not sure how much i'd use it, or where i'd be able to use it more like it.

Offline Coasthunterjay

• Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2007, 05:00:28 PM »

Sorry i just use my muscles. No ideas here................... :chuckle:

you might want to ask this guy :iamwithstupid:

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2007, 05:39:28 PM »
Jamie at Olympic Archery is selling game carts made by a freind of his.  It's made to attach to bikes but he also includes a "T" handle.  Just pull a pin and remove the Bike adaptor and switch it out with the "T" handle. 

It has 2 bycicle tires and is made out of 3/4" square tubing.  It also has a bar that pulls out the back so you can prop legs on so they don't drag behind the cart.  For me it is hard to describe.  Maybe he will let me post pictures of it, not sure.  It's one of those things ya gotta see. 

In my opinion it is a very light trailer.  Me an few others were down their looking at it.  He had it all hooked up and was jumping on it.  I think it's pretty nice! :) 

I beleive he is selling them for $400.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2007, 06:18:03 PM »
Michele, I have seen those, a guy out in Scott lake is making them if they are the same ones I am thinking of. Pretty good set up for the back of the bike.

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2007, 11:40:27 AM »
Not to sure.  I met the guy about 2 weeks ago.  Pretty nice guy from what I gather just from talking to him.  I will probably eventually get one. 

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 07:40:59 AM »
I have the Mag Hauler and it works great for me. Here is a link to the guy who makes bike carts for the Angry Spike guys. www.hawkeyebilt.com

Offline HawkeyeBilt

• Tracker
    • www.hawkeyebilt.com
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2007, 10:21:11 AM »
sweet forum!  Names Michael Hawkins. I live in Knappa Oregon. A buddy of mine was telling me about this site so i thought i'd check it out. My dad builds game carts. Has for the last 30 years since he started bowhunting. Just like in washington a lot of the gates here" Oregon" are locked up during bow season so we bike in on all our hunts. He use to just make them for the family, but people started seeing them in the woods and the word got out. We Made a few for the asp boys last year . So...... I'll  post a few pictures of some game carts. They are made out of aluminum and neeting for the baskets to keep the weight down. He also made a body hitch to hook up to the cart it's a pack frame with a hitch. It's a really sweet little set up.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 10:41:04 AM »
that rig is cool as hell.

Offline addicted

• Old Salt
  • The famous FootDog
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 02:05:34 PM »
yes indeedy
"Right now, I am thinking that If my grandmother was here, she would be lecturing me about how there are poor people in Africa, that would just love to have a Ruger, I would just say "Great, granny, lets just ship all the Rugers to Africa!"

Loving life in the Great Northwest one day at a time.

It sounds like it's time to get a new gun.

Offline saylean

• Team Slayer Packmule
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 02:43:53 PM »
Looks like they are trolling for cougars!... ;)

They are cool looking for sure. I bet they turn a few heads in the woods.  :chuckle:

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2007, 05:21:43 PM »
Hawkeye - Welcome.. I got a card from Shannon over the summer and thought I would share the link.

If you get time can you post your elk season (read it at iFish), I think the guys here would like to read about it.

Offline HawkeyeBilt

• Tracker
    • www.hawkeyebilt.com
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2007, 05:42:18 PM »
Hawkeye - Welcome.. I got a card from Shannon over the summer and thought I would share the link.

If you get time can you post your elk season (read it at iFish), I think the guys here would like to read about it.

Yes sir....I'd love to post it on here. I'll toss it up after dinner...Thanks for the welcome!

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2007, 07:39:07 PM »
This year we used the kids haulers you attach to the back of your bike that has two wheels.  It worked great for us.  If I hunt the same area next year I will probably build one though.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2007, 06:41:35 AM »
Don't get me started on the whole wilderness thing. Hopefully that dang wild SKy wilderness doesnt pass. Anyhow I have one of those sled that I bought from Cabelas. It is excellent for hauling out deer, elk or moose. I attach it to my deer drag harness and start hauling away.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2008, 07:06:34 AM »
I will be welding one up this weekend, maybe I will post a pic when complete if not too ugly... My goal is a road cart. Low and wide. Maybe something I can drag behind my bike... I want all metal, no plastic...removable handle...brickschlitthouse rating...

Realized I never posted what I made for this purpose. Here is the pic. I loaded the cart and hauled it three hours into our elk area, up a closed road. Uphill every single step. Cart pulled nice with about 70lbs of gear. Would have been lighter, but need some beer for around the fire....you know how it is... Two buddies packed in to join me that night, packframes...

Anyway, the cart worked awesome. Hunted in the area for only three days, no elk shot, used it to haul my gear out too. On the way out, everyone tossed all their gear on the cart, but the handle attachment design left alot to be desired and broke. They had to remove their gear, I still drug my gear out with the cart.

I intend to place larger tires on the cart, small tires like this worked ok, but if you let the cart lead you downgrade, and you followed the cart... it would bind against medium sized rocks and not want to bounce up and over them. I also need to work on a different handle... (We got our elk elsewhere, cart not used, packframes used. )

molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline dbllunger

• Sourdough
  • Those who can do. Those who can't complain.
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2008, 08:18:38 AM »
Whys is a game cart illegal in a Wilderness area.  Nothing with tires or wheels? Never heard that before.  I knew about combustion engines, but tires and wheels wow. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2008, 09:05:54 AM »
Nothing with tires or wheels

BINGO!!
no bikes in the wilderness either for the same reason.

Offline Ray

• Old Salt
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1475043431
    • Hunting-Washington
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
Many wilderness areas it would be a real piece of work to get your cart into anyways. You'd be better off with a horse than with a cart by far.

Offline dbllunger

• Sourdough
  • Those who can do. Those who can't complain.
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2008, 09:16:31 AM »
WOW...what else can I say.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2008, 10:13:43 AM »
For those who are not fortunate enough to have money or space for a horse a hard pastic sled(cabela's has them) makes an excellent way to drag your animal down the trail.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline edmondshunter

• Scout
  • work to hunt, hunt to eat, eat to hunt more
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2008, 08:33:09 PM »
here is how to build your own cart. 

Materials:
2 ) 6-8 ft 2x2 treated poles
1)  old bike tire and rim from a kids bike
8 inches of all-thread
washers and nuts to fit all-thread

drill holes at one end of the 2x2's  to fit the all-thread ( drill @ an angle so the handles will be hip width when attached to wheel)

replace axle from kids bike tire with all-thread

place 2x2's on the all-thread and secure w/ washers-nuts

lay the poles with wheel attached on top side of deer and lash deer to poles securely

roll deer over and start walking

Cost me $10 for the all-thread and 2x2 poles
best cart I ever used, Cheapest too
A pat on the back is just shy of a kick in the ass..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]