collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Best $11.50 ever spent  (Read 54253 times)

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
Re: Best $11.50 ever spent
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2016, 08:37:06 PM »
glad your buddy's ok
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2016, 07:03:07 AM »
glad your buddy's ok

:yeah:  Always a good hunt when everyone returns safe and healthy. 
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #92 on: August 27, 2016, 08:34:22 AM »
Good thing you got him out and to the hospital!  Crazy to be in his thirties and have that happen.  I just had someone at work come in feeling weird and describing some symptoms of a stroke.  I had someone take him to the hospital and he had a small stroke.  He is in his mid 40's.  Makes everyone think...

If you don't mind me asking, and I think it helps everyone recognize symptoms, how did you know what was happening?  Did he recognize that he was having a heart attack?  I have seen a lot of people who kind of go into denial when stuff is happening.  It's critical to get to the hospital as soon as possible with this type of stuff.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #93 on: August 27, 2016, 09:30:06 PM »
 :yeah: Good question Miles
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline bulldogs40

• Hunter
« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2016, 12:52:47 AM »
:yeah:
A heart attack in the 30's sounds terrifying
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 01:00:28 AM by bulldogs40 »

Offline Mxracer532

• Longhunter
« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2016, 07:05:04 AM »
:yeah:
A heart attack in the 30's sounds terrifying

My best friend had a heart attack and passed away at age 29. He had a 2 yr old son and a baby girl that turned 1 a couple weeks later. The sad part is they could have saved his life but the life flight had a malfunction and couldnt take off after they got him loaded into it. Its no joke, can happen to anyone.
Avid ARCHERY deer and elk hunter.
Coyote killer in the off season.
MX Racer simi retired to practice when I can.

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2016, 01:01:26 AM »
 :yike: heart attack while out scouting dang.... Glad you got him out.
grats on the tag too though.
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2016, 09:35:43 AM »
I was fortunate to have several things going for me.  I've volunteered in our local fire dept for the last 10 years or so, so I've had some training and experience.  He displayed all the classic symptoms....pain in chest, numbness or pain in left arm, sweating, labored breathing etc.  Also very fortunate we weren't 2 miles from the truck when it happened.  (more like 10 feet and he self loaded)  Possible different scenario if I didn't have cell service to get folks able to help on the way as well.  People talk about the golden hour.  Different than the hunting golden hour, it's the hour from onset to rolling in an emergency room. 

Always lots to be thankful for, with or without a sheep tag  :tup:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2016, 11:19:31 AM »
Glad he's ok, and thanks for sharing that info.

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #99 on: September 01, 2016, 10:00:45 AM »
No I'm not out there for the opener.  I'd really love to see what the other raffle tag holder or auction tag holder comes up with.  I'd imagine at least one tag is filled today?
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2016, 10:09:11 AM »
No I'm not out there for the opener.  I'd really love to see what the other raffle tag holder or auction tag holder comes up with.  I'd imagine at least one tag is filled today?

A couple are using archery gear, it's going to be a challenge.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2016, 10:10:45 AM »
I was fortunate to have several things going for me.  I've volunteered in our local fire dept for the last 10 years or so, so I've had some training and experience.  He displayed all the classic symptoms....pain in chest, numbness or pain in left arm, sweating, labored breathing etc.  Also very fortunate we weren't 2 miles from the truck when it happened.  (more like 10 feet and he self loaded)  Possible different scenario if I didn't have cell service to get folks able to help on the way as well.  People talk about the golden hour.  Different than the hunting golden hour, it's the hour from onset to rolling in an emergency room. 

Always lots to be thankful for, with or without a sheep tag  :tup:

Of all the places and times your buddy could have had his heart attack, he was lucky someone like yourself was there and knowledgeable to know the signs.
Hope this turns into the hunt of your life!

Praying for your friend.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2016, 11:04:21 AM »
A couple are using archery gear, it's going to be a challenge.

I figured the auction tag would be, didn't know the other raffle as well?

Would be cool if all 3 did as it's my intention to go this route as well....   :tup:
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Gringo31

• Old Salt
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2016, 07:30:52 AM »
Well, this one is in the books....

Part of me doesn't know where to start.  All of the thoughts, feelings and emotions that go through a guys head before, during and even after a hunt like this are fun to sort through.  It starts off with the initial shock of getting the call.  It sinks in more when you actually see the tag.....and when you are up scouting, there's a part of it that just doesn't seem real.

During that early part of the game, I appreciate the folks that reached out to me.  For me, it's a slippery slope.  On one hand, knowledge is power, on the other, I'm more of a DIY kind of guy and felt that too much help would personally take away from the experience or challenge.  But, I suppose that all depends on what the actual goal is. 

To each it's different, but to me it started out killing a good ram with my bow.  I had all the time in the world to do it with a 4 month season and feel comfortable enough with stalking mules that a sheep should be doable.  The part that kept weighing on me was the scale of priority.  What meant more to me?  The weapon used?  The people I was able to experience it with?  Or the caliber of animal I took?  I asked myself that 1000 times, including asking advice from my brother in Alaska who wasn't able to go and some close friends.  Everyone gave me the same answer....that it was my hunt and don't worry about anything other than what I wanted.  I realize that's the right answer, but it's something that was heavy on the brain.  I knew in all likelihood my brother from Wyoming was only able to make it out on this one trip.  Eventually, I decided to throw a rifle in the truck as well.  I asked myself......When I'm 70 and look back on this hunt, what would mean more to me, the score or who I was with.....and that settled it for me.   :tup:   

-Ronald Reagan

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #104 on: September 12, 2016, 07:34:39 AM »
Congrats Gringo.  Couldn't have happened to a better guy.  Can't wait to see the rest of the story.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]