collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need some draw weight help  (Read 5246 times)

Offline police women of America

• Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
Re: Need some draw weight help
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 11:17:42 AM »
We're still figuring it out. But it sounds like I'll either need to buy a new scale or take it into Cabelas. I'll give another update soon.
Hi, my name is Josie

• Women's Board
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 01:23:54 PM »
UPDATE:
We couldn't figure out what the draw weight is set to. But I was able to return the scale to Cabelas. And now I guess I'll just have to get a big expensive one to figure out what it's set to.
The thing I don't get is why can't they have the weight marked by each turn? I mean if they can number the draw length why not the draw weight? :dunno: The first person to put that on a bow will be a millionaire.
Hi, my name is Josie

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 01:33:59 PM »
UPDATE:
We couldn't figure out what the draw weight is set to. But I was able to return the scale to Cabelas. And now I guess I'll just have to get a big expensive one to figure out what it's set to.
The thing I don't get is why can't they have the weight marked by each turn? I mean if they can number the draw length why not the draw weight? :dunno: The first person to put that on a bow will be a millionaire.

Most bows spec out approx how many lbs per turn of the limb bolts in and out.  Say one turn 2lbs and so on. A bow scale is a very important piece of equipment for your archery box.
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline tjthebest

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2016, 01:41:11 PM »
13 turns sounds incorrect. Are you sure you are turning the limb bolt and not something else? Just tighten the limb bolts all the way down and you should be at max weight.

Also,  to check weight you use the scale but you check the highest poundage as you are pulling it back.  Not the weight when it is all the way pulled back.

Remember that you are not measuring the weight when you are at full draw. You need to measure the peak(highest) weight during the draw cycle.
Camp Wapiti Death!

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 03:02:34 PM »
UPDATE:
The thing I don't get is why can't they have the weight marked by each turn?
Because if they did it would be a lie anyway. If you went to a shop and started pulling 70 pound bows off the wall and checking their max weight, I'd bet you money maybe only one out of ten really has a peak draw weight of 70 pounds. Most bows end up being a few pounds heavier than the draw weight they're supposed to be.

• Women's Board
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2016, 10:11:06 PM »
UPDATE:
The thing I don't get is why can't they have the weight marked by each turn?
Because if they did it would be a lie anyway. If you went to a shop and started pulling 70 pound bows off the wall and checking their max weight, I'd bet you money maybe only one out of ten really has a peak draw weight of 70 pounds. Most bows end up being a few pounds heavier than the draw weight they're supposed to be.
Ohhh, interesting.
Hi, my name is Josie

• Women's Board
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2016, 10:13:18 PM »
UPDATE:

Most bows spec out approx how many lbs per turn of the limb bolts in and out.  Say one turn 2lbs and so on. A bow scale is a very important piece of equipment for your archery box.
Yeah I guess I'll have to get a really nice one this time.
Hi, my name is Josie

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 12:03:09 PM »
Good point all around.  I just picked up a new bow lastnight. 60-70#.  I did not measure it at max, but backed it off the max 2 turns allowed per manual and it peaks at 63#. 

Also realize some limbs may not have a clean linear curve.  1 turn from 70# max may be 68#, an additional turn might be 65#, one more 60#. 
 One turn off my bow was 68#, two was 63#.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal