collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Garmin Alpha track and train  (Read 3551 times)

Offline Wingin it

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Garmin Alpha track and train
« on: July 22, 2016, 06:28:16 AM »
Is anyone using the Alpha track and train? I would like to know what you think of these units and if you are happy with performance. Do you ever lose tracking ability due to weather, obstructions, etc.

Offline HighCountryHunter88

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Garmin Alpha track and train
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 06:44:23 AM »
The Garmin Alpha is the premium Gps tracking system for dogs out there right now. That being said, you can loose comms due to obstruction since the positioning info and data packets from handheld and collar are transmitted though MURS radio frequencies. Weather can have an effect on GPS acquisition but rarely ever noticed. range varies depending on terrain and conditions but i see with running dogs on timbered mountains about 1-1.5 miles with handheld antenna average and with a compact portable long range antenna about 3 ish on average 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 07:39:47 AM by HighCountryHunter88 »
-Matt

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 07:24:24 AM »
have not so far, 2 years using but I use on pointers not running dogs.. so unit to collar range is not tested much. I have 3 pointers and love tracking all 3 dogs in deep grass at once...out of sight is no problem, have had 2 dogs on separate points before with the unit clearly telling the story
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline GrampasGuns

• Scout
  • Groups: WWA, DU, RGS, NWTF
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 08:52:03 AM »
Best unit you can buy, I run two setters on the alpha and it has saved my dogs more than once. I've only lost signal really twice, both times on a chukar hunt but luckily it didn't last long, generally the unit performs flawlessly. I'd reccomennded it to anyone

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The deer are exactly where you find them, and no where you dont!

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 11:27:15 AM »
I use them on my hounds and like them.  I kept my Astro unit and collars around as a backup because I liked them so much, but the Astro is way better.  I have the  mini collars and prefer them to the big clunky ones

Offline Wingin it

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 06:40:21 PM »
Excellent information, thanks for the feedback it is exactly what I was hoping to hear. When they came out with the Astro years ago I thought it was a great idea but the downfall was that it wasn't a trainer as well. Now that I will be starting a new dog out I was researching collars and was happy to see they finally combined the two functions.

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 06:33:59 AM »
The problem with the combination is its not as easy to get to the correction immediately.  I run a Tri-Tronics Pro (now Garmin) with an Astro.  When I'm hunting, the e-collar controller is mounted to my vest at the shoulder so I can instantaneously correct the dog if I need as the controls are easy to get to without looking at the controller.  With the Alpha, you can't do that.  That's the main complaint I've heard from people with the Alpha.  The other issue for me is I run the e-collar around the flank, and the GPS around the neck.  But I run pointing dogs, so that wouldn't be an issue with flushers we retrievers.

Offline Wingin it

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 07:55:57 AM »
Yeah, I have a pointer too. I never have run the e-collar around the flank in the field so that shouldn't be an issue for me. I will have to physically check one of these units out to see about the ease of correction you mentioned. I ran dogtra t&b 2500 on my last dog and it worked just fine but it would be extra insurance to have tracking ability.

Offline joe_dumy

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 08:00:47 PM »
I love mine. Hunt mostly Wetside  Grouse so my dog is out of sight most of the time. I don't have a problem with the correction controls.

Offline aaronoto

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 10:17:15 PM »
Garmin really needs to do a better job at describing the ecollar functions on this unit. The three buttons along the top are your stimulation controls. They can be easily customized for different dogs, function, and stim level.  When you press one you will immediately get a plus/minus show up on the screen in the event that you need to adjust the stim level from your base programmed setting.  Corrections on the Alpha are just as easy and quick as corrections on a traditional ecollar.  The only difference is that to adjust your stim setting you use the touchscreen instead of a button rocker or wheel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 04:46:45 AM »
That's the problem with the Alpha, you have to actually look at th Handheld to use it correctly.  With the Pro's you easly have all 18 levels of stim without looking at the controller, and it can be done incredibly fast.  With the Alpha, unless you have the controller in your hand when you need the stimulation, it's probably already too late.

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 12:49:43 AM »
You can not use the Alpha in a hunt test or field trial. You can use an Astro.

If that's important to you now or possibly in the future consider that.

Also, if you like to turn a beeper on or off via the handheld, or use one in locate mode, the Alpha isn't going to be much help.

Offline JayBird02

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 07:24:39 PM »
You can not use the Alpha in a hunt test or field trial. You can use an Astro.

If that's important to you now or possibly in the future consider that.

Also, if you like to turn a beeper on or off via the handheld, or use one in locate mode, the Alpha isn't going to be much help.
Unless they've changed the rules recently you can use the Alpha hand held just have to use a TT5 collar. The issue has more to do with the collar than the hand held. And the TT5 can link with the Alpha hand held.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]