collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Randy Newberg short video on trekking poles-opinions?  (Read 8015 times)

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
Re: Randy Newberg short video on trekking poles-opinions?
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 08:33:01 AM »
Another yes vote here. I only recently started using them, but already consider them a must have for my pack. Besides just taking weight off your knees, they are awesome if you have poor footing or when crossing streams. I have heard from a training standpoint they increase your caloric output significantly as well.

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 10:44:07 AM »
Another yes vote here. I only recently started using them, but already consider them a must have for my pack. Besides just taking weight off your knees, they are awesome if you have poor footing or when crossing streams. I have heard from a training standpoint they increase your caloric output significantly as well.
Last week I fell and landed on my knee with a pack on. Just starting to feel better now. That was sort of what got me thinking about the poles. Then I saw this video. I used to laugh at people who used them. I think I'll start shopping for a set.

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 11:43:24 AM »
I think most serious backcountry hikers/hunters went through the same evolution...

"wow, I would never use those stupid things" to "wow, how did I ever hike without them?" They do take a lot of stress off your legs/feet.

They can be spendy. If you don't already have a set, keep your eye out at Costco. I hear the ones they have come through occasionally(some kind of Carbon with a weird brand name) are awesome.
Cascade mountain tech is the brand of the Costco ones, picked up a set of carbon fiber with cork handles for $30 the other day. I've never really used trekking poles before but realized a couple of years ago that hiking with a stick really helps to improve my stamina and also balance on those steep slopes where nearly every step the ground gives out from under your feet whether going up or downhill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline andrew_in_idaho

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2016, 11:50:10 AM »
Last week I fell and landed on my knee with a pack on. Just starting to feel better now. That was sort of what got me thinking about the poles. Then I saw this video. I used to laugh at people who used them. I think I'll start shopping for a set.
See my post above, great deal at Costco

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2016, 11:51:58 AM »
See my post above, great deal at Costco

Thanks! :tup:

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2016, 12:05:13 PM »
Unless I am really loaded down, I keep them in the pack. However, when headed downhill, they are a life saver...possibly literally. I have avoided some nasty spills with them
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2016, 01:07:10 PM »
Unless I am really loaded down, I keep them in the pack. However, when headed downhill, they are a life saver...possibly literally. I have avoided some nasty spills with them
That's when I took my spill-on a downhill.

Offline ian_padron

• Scout
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2016, 05:53:32 PM »
Love em. Use them to pack in camp and on heavy training hikes. Agree 100% with what has been said about inclines/declines. Helps the legs stay fresh, simple physics, less force makes it down to your feet.

Hunting with them is a pain in the you know what if a quick shot opportunity presents itself and you don't have your rifle handy. I leave them in camp.

I also use mine as the poles for my shelter, double duty is the name of the game for backpacking gear.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Offline swashington2128

• Hunter
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2016, 10:06:08 AM »
A note of caution using them. They will not save you from all falls. You have to be careful on where you plant them for good stability. Yesterday I climbed up Mt El Cajon down here in San Diego. 4000ft elevation change and very steep going down. All hardpan and rock. I planted, put weight on it and my foot slipped. The pole slowed me down but it slid too and down I went. Limping on a sore knee today. Learn from the dumb guy.

All my own fault on not paying enough attention to where I planted that thing. Cant wait to get back to Washington where there is good soft soil with moisture in it.

Good luck and be careful out there.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2016, 12:01:16 PM »
Not watched the video, but I know they sure help, specially on climbs/descents with pack on.

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2016, 12:09:15 PM »
I always, always, always climb/hike/hunt with trekking poles.

Use two (2) poles!  One pole is a waste of effort.  These are NOT for the aged!  I have been using them since I was climbing in my early thirties, and I adopted them not to spare my knees, but because they make me a faster climber.

I make an exception when I hunt: I carry the poles in my backpack while stalking, and only use them on the way out at nighttime.  I need both hands free to hunt, and trekking poles are very noisy.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline BIGDOG253

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Go COUGS!
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2016, 12:17:00 PM »
Like many have said already, I used to make fun of people who used them, until I tried them out for myself. They make long hikes with heavy packs a little easier to handle.

When im hiking/training in the off season I tend to leave them at home to make the workout a little harder, but come hunting season, I don't leave home without them.  :tup:

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2016, 12:17:07 PM »
In addition to what everyone has said in favor of poles, I have found the also help get into a distance burning rythm on the loooong gradual slogs out/into somewhere. Really helps chew off distance.

The only time I get frustrated with them is in tight trail with heavy knee high brush along the edges, during these stretches I rest them over my shoulder and don't bother. Every where else me and my poles are a well oiled machine!  :chuckle:
Just tend your own and live.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10