collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GM tech/service, in search of part numbers and parts.  (Read 4337 times)

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Longhunter
GM tech/service, in search of part numbers and parts.
« on: July 23, 2016, 09:06:02 PM »
Hey guys. So me and the better have got a 15 silverado Z71 LT and bouget a 17" camping trailer but the factory mirrors don't let me see anything. So we bought a set of tow mirrors for it. There power and heated just like my mirrors now. But every where I read says I need new door harnesse . So if there's anybody out there that can help with part numbers or getting the harnesses it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
Re: GM tech/service, in search of part numbers and parts.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 09:29:24 PM »
Not sure on the year, but we just installed tow mirrors on a "newer" Silverado, and they worked great.  Even the turn signals functioned (reg mirrors had no turn signals)

Ours is like a 2014/15

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 10:05:13 PM »
[If they have the same function as the others my guses is it hey are plug and play. If  not you would need to  call a dealership  and have them find one with that option since you  don't have a Vin number to match.
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 10:19:18 PM »
Not sure on the year, but we just installed tow mirrors on a "newer" Silverado, and they worked great.  Even the turn signals functioned (reg mirrors had no turn signals)

Ours is like a 2014/15

Oh ok well that gives me hope I talked to the stealership  aka dealership and they said I need new wiring harnesses that are $128 a pice and to reflash the computer. So it didn't seem right I guess I'll just see if they plug and play.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 10:22:00 PM »

Ours is like a 2014/15

Oh ok well that gives me hope I talked to the stealership  aka dealership and they said I need new wiring harnesses that are $128 a pice and to reflash the computer. So it didn't seem right I guess I'll just see if they plug and play.
So you're asking for help from someone who works at a dealership at the same time as your insulting their place of employment? Seems logical. Good luck with that.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 10:58:40 PM »

Ours is like a 2014/15

So you're asking for help from someone who works at a dealership at the same time as your insulting their place of employment? Seems logical. Good luck with that.
:chuckle:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 08:08:25 AM »

Ours is like a 2014/15

Hahahaha  :chuckle: hey you can just never trust them it seems they always give you some bs. And I was wanting to see if the answers he gave me were true. Cause to have to reflash the whole computer for a mirror swap seems crazy.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 08:12:49 AM »
On my 2013 2500hd, the mirrors extend out. Just give 'em a pull..
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 08:15:05 AM »

You must have the tow mirrors all ready. That's what I should have ordered with mine.  :bash:

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 11:43:26 AM »

Good advice for other things that need to extend out also......

telescoping fishing pole, ladder, measuring tape, you get the idea.  :chuckle: :chuckle:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 04:46:38 PM »

Good advice for other things that need to extend out also......

telescoping fishing pole, ladder, measuring tape, you get the idea.  :chuckle: :chuckle:

Hahahahahahah now that was good. Hahaha  :chuckle:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 07:09:51 PM »

Ours is like a 2014/15

Hahahaha  :chuckle: hey you can just never trust them it seems they always give you some bs. And I was wanting to see if the answers he gave me were true. Cause to have to reflash the whole computer for a mirror swap seems crazy.

I don't think it's that funny and what you're describing doesn't sound like BS either. A body control module is programmed to do specific things on a specific vehicle. If the vehicle is not originally equipped with tow mirrors, how is your truck going to know to send the signal to the mirror to flash the light? It may need to be programmed in order for it to function. That is actually a thing. Another example. Ford offers a factory electric trailer brake controller accessory kit for example. You can install it, but it won't work until your friendly local ford dealer enables it through the module. Just saying. If you're asking for help from someone actually in the know, it may be best to not insult what they do at the same time you're hoping for help from them.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 08:48:58 PM »

Ours is like a 2014/15

I don't think it's that funny and what you're describing doesn't sound like BS either. A body control module is programmed to do specific things on a specific vehicle. If the vehicle is not originally equipped with tow mirrors, how is your truck going to know to send the signal to the mirror to flash the light? It may need to be programmed in order for it to function. That is actually a thing. Another example. Ford offers a factory electric trailer brake controller accessory kit for example. You can install it, but it won't work until your friendly local ford dealer enables it through the module. Just saying. If you're asking for help from someone actually in the know, it may be best to not insult what they do at the same time you're hoping for help from them.

Oh ok I didn't know that.

My mirrors now are just power and heat no signals or lights. The tow mirrors are also just power and heated. No signals or lights.

Offline smittyJ

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 08:12:04 AM »
There are two types of tow mirrors. The manual extend type looks like standard controls but the auto extend type has a different control.

Offline 257wbymagkiller

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 11:11:57 AM »
Well I took the doors apart and put the new tow mirrors and it really was a plug and play. Checked all the functions they all worked but dam the doors are a pain to get all the little clips back together   

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]