collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Knight bighorn guys  (Read 21757 times)

Offline EyeTooth

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
Re: Knight bighorn guys
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2016, 08:14:56 AM »
Tagging  :)

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2016, 09:06:05 AM »

What size Williams streamlined front ramp do you use for a knight big horn? Also what size and height Williams fire sight do you use for a big horn?

Williams Front Sight Combinations

Two screws for the ramp...  These are from Brownells

962-020-097WB
Streamlined Ramp 3/16" Screw-on
Mfr Part: 1690

I believe Williams says a .375N front sight for this application - I prefer a .343N as it fit closer to center under a fires sight hood.

962-564-350WB
Red Fire Sight fits 343N
Mfr Part: 56435

962-564-360WB
Red Fire Sight fits 375N
Mfr Part: 56436

962-000-016WB
Fire Sight Hood
Mfr Part: 70031

Quick question. I installed a Williams FP peep on my bighorn and like it. My question is if I order this combo is it pretty easy to install as well or do I need to order anything else in order to do it myself?

Offline gee_unit360

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2016, 09:30:10 AM »
Hey UNit 360  What is the model # or part # for that FP Rear Sight? Did you get it a Brownells Too?

I haven't ordered it yet. I'm purchasing a new muzzleloader and am undecided what model of knight I'm going to buy. So I've been holding off on ordering the peep.

Offline 1961Wahunter

• Pilgrim
    • 3006 nw 151st street
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2016, 09:23:42 PM »
I shot my big horn today 8/14/16, 59 degrees and no wind early morning  facing SW 
Target 12" round bulls eye at 150 yds ...
FYI my front .040 fiber optic sight covers the entire 12" bulls eye at 150 yds .....
First clean barrel shot velocity 1864 fps...First shot hit 2" inches down from the top of bull dead center left and right ...
Second shot after spit patch again at 150 yds dead center of target 4" lower than first shot .....velocity on second shot 1987..
3rd shot high and right because I  put to much solvent on my spit patch between shots and solvent leeched into breech and nipple causing a delay in ignition... what I call a slap bang, AKA  a hang fire ....
(FYI IMO the higher velocity on 2nd shot was because of the fouled barrel I did notice a pronounced stiffer kick in my second shot)
( I will mention my 3rd and 4th shot I did use more solvent ( removing more fouling )   causing a hang fire slap bang in 3 rd shot only...
Even though I cleaned with more solvent 3rd and 4th shot I did dry out nipple and breech before my forth shot...
...However at 150 yds  all four would be a lethal and ethical kill on elk or deer
...I do have pics of chronograph  and targets with listed detail..
This rifle is capable shots 2, 3 and 4 all with in one inch at 150 yds...I also use my .050 peep to target practice with ...this session I used my hunting peep .062 to give you a real look at real challenges shooting muzzle loaders...
I use 137 grs of triple seven powder FFF sliver (IMO it lights better and and get closer to nipple ignition hole)   
340 gr Dead Centers
RWS primers

Rick Freese
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 06:52:44 PM by 1961Wahunter »

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2016, 09:33:01 PM »

Quick question. I installed a Williams FP peep on my bighorn and like it. My question is if I order this combo is it pretty easy to install as well or do I need to order anything else in order to do it myself?
[/quote]

Installing the fiber optic into the ramp can be done with a punch but make sure you have the ramp supported.  I have a press that screws the sight into the ramp easy.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 06:23:13 PM by usmc74 »

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2016, 03:49:24 PM »
i have the williams "FP" and the stock green fiber optic bead on my bighorn.  works great!  however, i have considered replacing the rear sight with something a bit more robust like a WGRS.  i took a nasty spill on a sidehill last year and dropped my rifle right on the sight.  the FP is only supported on one side and the whole deal got a bit bent, and i had to re-sight in the gun when i got back to camp.

as for powder/bullets, i shoot a 250 grain sabot with 90gr of T7 FFFG and a CCI #11 mag cap.  that rifle just really seems to like that charge with every bullet i've tried.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2016, 04:48:47 PM »
Hey sabot loader. Couple questions. Do you know if that set up will fit with the Williams peep in the pic I posted? And also do they make that fiber optic part in green or yellow fiber? My eyes don't do well with red.

Thanks

Hey, I really am late with this I just saw your question...

So let's start this way.... Yes the Williams FP for the Bighorn will fit right on DISC... however there is or might be a small modification you have to make to the sight to make it totally compatible with the bolt handle you have.  And/or the stock you have on the rifle.  If it is the regular composite stock the sight will fit OK - If it is the thicker wood stock or Kevlar stock it will not mount on the rifle correctly as it will run into your stock.  Looking at your picture you should have no interference with the stock.

Look at this picture - it shows the modification necessary

As you lift the bolt the bolt handle can run into the windage portion of the sight - depending on the elevation you need to sight the rifle in.

With a file you can file the leading edge of the sight so the bolt handle clears the sight.  Once you have it filed you can then use some Alum-Black to cover your filing job.

Hope this explains what you need to know...

The front site does only come in 'Red' but it could easily be removed and another color of fiber could be installed.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 04:57:08 PM by Sabotloader »
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline DaMitt Mystagin

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, DU, PF
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2016, 04:11:32 PM »
So I'm like really late to this party on this one, but I finally broke down and bought a Knight Bighorn today.  Yeah, it was post price hike, but I figure they're not coming back down.

I haven't really shot peep sights since the Army, but I remember really liking them once I got used to them.  I plan on giving them a try on the Bighorn.

My question is the target knob (TK) version of the Williams FP sight worth the extra money and are they durable enough for hunting?  I'm thinking it may be nice to have the adjustable elevation.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2016, 04:33:51 PM »
So I'm like really late to this party on this one, but I finally broke down and bought a Knight Bighorn today.  Yeah, it was post price hike, but I figure they're not coming back down.

I haven't really shot peep sights since the Army, but I remember really liking them once I got used to them.  I plan on giving them a try on the Bighorn.

My question is the target knob (TK) version of the Williams FP sight worth the extra money and are they durable enough for hunting?  I'm thinking it may be nice to have the adjustable elevation.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Joe, I can only really speak for myself.... but for me - NO - on the target knobs...  BUT I sight the rifle in with a 6" PBR which allows me to shoot from 0 to about 180 yard and never have the bullet any higher than 3" no lower than 3".

This sheet shows the information...  If you look on the chart in the 'Point Blank' section you will the information... or look at the Range path information.

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline DaMitt Mystagin

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, DU, PF
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2016, 06:24:32 PM »
Thanks for the data, Sabotloader.  A 6" PBR @ 180 yards with iron sights is plenty far for me!

I'll forget the target knobs and save the extra bucks.

Joe

Offline BerettaShooter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2016, 10:23:04 PM »
110 ffg with a 300 gr Hornady XTP Mag

Offline CamoRambo

• Pilgrim
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2016, 11:10:08 AM »
I had great accuracy out of my stainless bighorn with 150 grains of pyrodex pellets and a 348 grain powerbelt lead hollow point, I switched to 150 grain pyrodex pellets with a 290 grain Barnes t-ez and that shoots great as well.

Offline gee_unit360

• Longhunter
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2016, 11:35:09 AM »
290 grain Knight EZ Load sabot polymer tip Boattails with two 50 grain pyrodex pellets.

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2016, 07:12:58 PM »
Shot my bighorn today at the range and used 2 777 pyrodex pellets and 290gr Barnes Tm-EZ bullet,blue sabot. 2 shots at 100 yards one in the bullseye and one 1 inch high of bullseye. 2 shots at 200 yards both killed the deer target I was shooting at. I have other bullets that I want to try but the Barnes 290grain TM-EZ just seem to fly nicely out of this gun, so why change.
 The only time this gun has not grouped well for me was when I first got it I put some of that bore butter down the barrel.
 DO NOT USE BORE BUTTER IN A KNIGHT BIGHORN, THEY HATE IT!
I scrubbed the barrel with boiling soapy water and then took it back to the range and she was dead on.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal