collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Field Dressing  (Read 12625 times)

Offline Sakko300wsm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Re: Field Dressing
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 11:07:01 AM »
I'm a big fan of the gutless method
VELOCITY MARINE- ALUMINUM BOATS
I hunt fur and fins!!
23' X 9' custom jet in the works
Haxby 550hp 496"
Hammi 241
Stick steer

Offline police women of America

• Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 11:19:35 AM »
Hi, my name is Josie

Offline EmeraldBullet

• Scout
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 07:40:21 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone! They were very helpful. I am gonna rewatch those videos and have some thinking to do for how I want to pursue this. I really have to consider what I want to bring back in addition to the meat.

I'm considering hunting gmu 407 just because I am more familiar with a lot of that region than most of the others. Any advice on good knives/brands for field dressing?

Offline carlyoungs

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 08:07:04 PM »
Havolon knives are awesome. They have multiple blades you change once they go dull. Super sharp check them out.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 08:45:06 PM »
I have a wyoming knife and a 4" fixed blade knife that I always have with me.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline fish vacuum

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 09:11:48 PM »
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?topic=37569.0
I do it similar but different. Have a sheet for a clean surface. Skin a hind leg, cut meat off the bone. Skin front leg on same side, cut meat off the bone. Remove the back strap and accessible neck meat from that side. Roll him over and repeat. Then cut a slit in front of the hip to get loins & heart.
Takes me 45 minutes to get one all packed up.
Having rope or cord is handy if you're alone. The leg you're working on can be tied to a tree to hold it up.

Offline pope

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 09:32:49 PM »
Here are two videos on the gutless method. One for elk, one for deer. Good videos.

Some of the best on the web!

I also like this for gutless:

And this if you plan to gut it first, then skin and break it down yourself (in the field or at home):

With a tarp or sheet and some game bags, and assuming a short drag will get you to flat ground, you can keep it nice and clean via the gutless method. The meat cools quickly and you will only carry what you're going to eat.

Don't be intimidated. I learned everything I know from youtube and it went pretty well when I carried out my first deer. Bring a very sharp knife and a way to sharpen it. In case things go wrong, have a second knife. I picked up a Havalon Edge after my experience last year.

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 09:38:43 PM »
I absolutwly DO NOT recommend this method!!!!!!

Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2016, 10:06:23 PM »
I absolutwly DO NOT recommend this method!!!!!!

Hahaha ! Good stuff there !!!!

Offline HunterofWA

• Scout
    • Aery Drone Photos
  • Groups: Huntersofwashington
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 09:00:35 AM »
Try Outdoor Edge knives. There really sharp!
...suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character and character produces hope...

YT | @pnw_offgrid

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2016, 09:19:24 AM »
I don't really understand the gutless method.....I just can't believe it is any faster or cleaner.  Did you see how much of a pain it was to get the backstraps tenderloin out?  I prefer gutting the animal and dragging the guts / animal apart so the flies and bees will leave me alone and eat off the guts.   :tup: 

I also cannot believe how much hair these videos show on the meat.  We are very clean and meticulous with out meat.  Hair is nasty stuff when dried to the meat. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 02:33:41 PM by jrebel »

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2016, 02:20:26 PM »
If you're hunting close to your rig, then by all means, field dress, drag to truck, and skin at home. It would be an impossible feat where I do most of my hunting. And yes they had a lot of hair on the meat, that doesn't have to happen when doing the gutless method. Its pretty easy if you take your time to keep most of the hair off.

What I don't get, and I made a post specific to this a while back, is why guys insist on fighting through the guts to get the tenderloins. Just wait until you've gotten all the other meat off and then spill the guts and get them easy peasy?! Am I seriously the only one that thinks this makes sense?
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2016, 02:30:11 PM »
I don't really understand the gutless method.....I just can't believe it is any faster or cleaner.  Did you see how much of a pain it was to get the backstraps out?  I prefer gutting the animal and dragging the guts / animal apart so the flies and bees will leave me alone and eat off the guts.

A pain to get the backstraps? Really? That's the easiest part to get.    :dunno:

I love the gutless method, I only wish I had started doing it that way years ago.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2016, 02:32:18 PM »
I don't really understand the gutless method.....I just can't believe it is any faster or cleaner.  Did you see how much of a pain it was to get the backstraps out?  I prefer gutting the animal and dragging the guts / animal apart so the flies and bees will leave me alone and eat off the guts.

A pain to get the backstraps? Really? That's the easiest part to get.    :dunno:

I love the gutless method, I only wish I had started doing it that way years ago.

I meant tenderloin. 

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2016, 02:46:09 PM »
I have little experience gutting and field dressing deer, but have a fair amount of surgical experience in my history.  When gutting an animal, the hunter should use scissors to sever the esophagus and trachea rather than attempting to blindly cut them with a knife with two hands inside the animal.  This single procedure causes an incredible number of injuries to hunters each year.  Using scissors rather than a knife is entirely safe and just as quick, and the right tool for the job. 
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal