collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elevation Training Mask  (Read 8228 times)

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: Elevation Training Mask
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 12:58:00 PM »
Rainier, I am not doubting the effects of elevation and thin air. I completely agree with you and have experienced it too. What I am doubting is the mask and what it replicates.  :tup:

What I heard was that you were the toughest dude on earth, but carry on. :tup:
  actually, this is fact!  The Jon IS the most gangster of gangsters on planet earth!  He ran my fallen heroes 5k at lightning speed.  All while sporting an impressively creepy mustache.  Not everyone can pull that off you know :kneel:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 01:01:27 PM »
Altitude sickness affects everyone differently. I was at just under 10k' on Mt Adams at the lunch counter and felt like crap the day we got there. Lost my appetite, felt sort of weak, etc. The next morning I felt almost back to normal, mostly fine. I ate like a horse and made the summit without issue.
I suspect that if you give yourself a day or 2 to acclimate, you'll be alright. 7500' is high, but it's not "that" high relative to what a lot of folks do at 10-12k'.

As far as the mask goes, I'm a tight wad so if I wanted to try restricted flow training I'd probably just climb badger a few times with a sponge stuffed in my mouth.

What kind of sick fetish????
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 01:04:39 PM »
I lived in Colorado, like I said before at 6,000 feet.  We would go fishing in the hills at 7,000 feet regularly.  One weekend we went fishing at some alpine lakes at 12-13,000 feet, I was tired but I thought my buddy was going to die.  He was all pale and sweaty.  When we got back to camp at 10,500 he was doing better.

I think it just affects people differently.

As far as muscle strength goes I think that is probably a huge factor.  I can't control the air so much but I can load up on weight.  Before the season starts I wear a weighted vest all day, leg weights and carry a 7lb dumbbell around at work to simulate having my bow in my hand all day.  I can say since I started doing that it has really helped my stamina in the field.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 01:21:55 PM »
I am convinced that these masks wouldn't be as popular if it weren't for this

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/batman/images/f/f0/Bane_TDKR3.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120511112335
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 01:32:50 PM »
I am convinced that these masks wouldn't be as popular if it weren't for this

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/batman/images/f/f0/Bane_TDKR3.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120511112335
That does make them cooler.  :chuckle:

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Okanagan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2016, 02:16:35 PM »
+4 or more that ALTITUDE EFFECTS EVERYONE DIFFERENTLY! 

Visiting Quito in Ecuador put my wife in the ER, where the local docs immediately and routinely diagnosed her with altitude sickness, a common occurrence for their ER team in a city at 10,000 feet elevation.  On her bad days she begins to get sick at 3,000 feet, but on good days can go over a 6K highway pass without much headache.  I sucked for air a little on top of Adams and ran a 40 yard race just to see what it felt like.  We heard the next day that a young man had died on Adams the same day from altitude sickness.  That was at least 25 years ago, and I never verified it, but hundreds of people climb Adams without dying.  Get in shape, slowly acclimatize, hydrate etc. but nobody knows how his bod will handle altitude till he goes up. 

If you handle altitude well, be grateful.  Not everybody is Ed Viesturs.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 02:20:18 PM »
I've used "the mask" on and off for over a year now....it sucks....really makes a guy work for air....but it's not the same as being at high elevation...it does not quite work that way

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 03:10:30 PM »
I've used "the mask" on and off for over a year now....it sucks....really makes a guy work for air....but it's not the same as being at high elevation...it does not quite work that way
Have you been able to test to see if it helped at higher elevation after using the mask?

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2016, 04:05:02 PM »

I reached the same conclusion in reading the reports of those that were working out with it regularly.  They said it helped more with training and less for altitude or elevation.  While it starves your body for air and makes your muscles work harder to get air, it doesn't necessarily replicate thin air.  taking a couple of extra days on the front end of a hunt to acclimate to elevation is about all you can do to try and prepare for elevation.  I had a much more difficult time when I was more out of shape at 25 years old with 9000-10,000 elevation than I do now where I am at better shape at 39 years old at the same elevation.  slows me down a little, but my body processes thin air better because of training in general than it did when I wasn't training at 25

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2016, 04:26:07 PM »
whacker you are definitely on to something there.  I hit the wall at thirty something, maybe 32, started to train more, eat better and hydrate more in the field.  Had to work smarter as I got older.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2016, 04:44:14 PM »
I've only noticed some weird stuff with elevation once.  We were on Maui and drove from the beach to the top of Haleakala at 10,000.  I felt a little weird and knew I had to pace myself walking around.  Never got rid of that crappy feeling till later in the afternoon.

I hunt quite a bit in the 7,000 range and have never noticed anything.  I live pretty close to sea level so it's a big jump but not enough I guess?

Seems that 10k might be the start of it for some.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2016, 06:12:35 PM »
Have you been able to test to see if it helped at higher elevation after using the mask?

I couldn't tell ya since I haven't had it long enough but I'd say it would help if you use it....in general the better you are in the cardiovascular department the better ya are at elevation....some people just don't do good of elevation...it's kinda luck of the draw

It really is a mental grind wearing the thing....it's not fun or enjoyable....just put the head phones in and get to the grind

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2016, 06:31:22 PM »
One suggestion might be before dropping 80$ , try working out while breathing through a straw.
Just tend your own and live.

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2016, 07:29:43 PM »
The masks are a waste of money.  They don't trigger any of the physiological changes that your body goes through when it is adapting to high altitude.  A mask won't help your body produce more red blood cells.

Save the money and do high intensity interval training for free.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2016, 09:41:25 PM »
The masks are a waste of money.  They don't trigger any of the physiological changes that your body goes through when it is adapting to high altitude.  A mask won't help your body produce more red blood cells.

Save the money and do high intensity interval training for free.
  pretty much that!  What will help at elevation is larger lung capacity.  Work out hard so your lungs get strong, don't restrict them.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal