collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Opening day woes  (Read 11786 times)

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Opening day woes
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2016, 06:39:47 AM »
That's a tough one, I had to miss the opener last year because my wife's friend had the nerve to schedule her wedding at 3 pm. Some people have no consideration lol

I wish I had taken school more seriously and attended more but perhaps taking it more seriously means missing a few days is less of a deal. If it's not going to make a difference on what you learn and your grades... hunt

Offline RadSav

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2016, 07:41:14 AM »
One of my best friends scheduled her wedding on opening day.  I changed out of my camo in the bathroom about 10 minutes before the wedding.  I may or may not have smelled like elk piss... :dunno:

Thankfully it was not a Catholic wedding...had time for the evening hunt too!
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Online Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2016, 08:20:37 AM »
Might get flamed for this, but I don't care.

Suck it up and grow up. You're going to miss a day of hunting because of school? Get your priorities in line, school first and hunting second. Or school, job, family, etc, etc, etc, then hunting. I missed four consecutive years of hunting due to military life. Four full seasons, not just opening day. Sometimes life gets in the way of what we want to do, is a reality. Focus on school, do well, focus on getting and performing well at a good job. Then enjoy everything that comes with it, such as hunting and a comfortable lifestyle.

I might be becoming the grumpy old warrant officer that's often joked about in the Army. I got lucky (in a way) that I came home early from Afghanistan because a few of us swapped out with guys back home so they could come out and get flight time. I'm losing a lot of flight time by being back here and not there, but it really felt like getting out of jail in a way. It is so amazing being back here and so much I appreciate more after being deployed to areas where you carry a gun everywhere you go, every day. Where we have rockets shot at us on the FOB, one night four times! Where we have bullets coming up at the helicopters now and then. A few helicopters got shot up. The guys who are still over there won't get back for opening day. And that's after we left three days before Christmas - that was awesome for families.

You're missing opening day and you nearly cried. Must be tough. Know what is tougher? Watching a grown man cry before walking away from their bawling child because they don't want their dad to leave. To a combat zone. For up to nine months - or even ever.

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2016, 09:10:24 AM »
Taco, dude, he is still in highschool, not heading off to war. A lot of us spent time in the military , missing opening days for years on end, as long as the kid is getting good grades, who gives a rip if he misses school to go huntn :dunno: you get one life! Bad things happen most of us have watched a buddy die, but that has little to do with a highschool kid missing opening day!! Chill man
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2016, 09:14:51 AM »
Taco, dude, he is still in highschool, not heading off to war. A lot of us spent time in the military , missing opening days for years on end, as long as the kid is getting good grades, who gives a rip if he misses school to go huntn :dunno: you get one life! Bad things happen most of us have watched a buddy die, but that has little to do with a highschool kid missing opening day!! Chill man

High school is where the rest of your life starts. In a lot of ways it forms the base for how one lives the rest of their life and the choices they make.  I never skipped school for anything. I've never called in sick to work to go hunting or fishing or for anything other than if I was actually sick or had a sick kid and no childcare. I'm with Taco. There are priorities in life. This is a perfect example.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2016, 09:26:03 AM »
i skipped as much as I possibly could and I hate to pat myself on the back but I turned out fine and so did both my kids, I don't think skipping school to go huntn shapes your life, now, skipping school to go get drunk or smoke crack well that's a different story. I let both my kids skip both days for extended buck every year, my son is in the 82nd airborne unit and moving through the ranks quickly, my daughter does running start, goes to highschool works as much as possible at McDonald's and is going into her senior year and is signed up for the early entry program into the airforce!! I think what shapes a kid is his or hers parents :twocents:

High school is where the rest of your life starts. In a lot of ways it forms the base for how one lives the rest of their life and the choices they make.  I never skipped school for anything. I've never called in sick to work to go hunting or fishing or for anything other than if I was actually sick or had a sick kid and no childcare. I'm with Taco. There are priorities in life. This is a perfect example.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2016, 09:28:18 AM »
Awww man!  This thread is sliding into the abyss........
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2016, 09:31:40 AM »
Sorry kid, didn't mean to help make it slide, I say use your best judgement either one isn't gonna send you down a dark path :chuckle:

Offline RadSav

• Explorer
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2016, 09:44:30 AM »
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • BT's are making me crazy
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2016, 10:51:55 AM »
Might get flamed for this, but I don't care.

Suck it up and grow up. You're going to miss a day of hunting because of school? Get your priorities in line, school first and hunting second. Or school, job, family, etc, etc, etc, then hunting. I missed four consecutive years of hunting due to military life. Four full seasons, not just opening day. Sometimes life gets in the way of what we want to do, is a reality. Focus on school, do well, focus on getting and performing well at a good job. Then enjoy everything that comes with it, such as hunting and a comfortable lifestyle.

I might be becoming the grumpy old warrant officer that's often joked about in the Army. I got lucky (in a way) that I came home early from Afghanistan because a few of us swapped out with guys back home so they could come out and get flight time. I'm losing a lot of flight time by being back here and not there, but it really felt like getting out of jail in a way. It is so amazing being back here and so much I appreciate more after being deployed to areas where you carry a gun everywhere you go, every day. Where we have rockets shot at us on the FOB, one night four times! Where we have bullets coming up at the helicopters now and then. A few helicopters got shot up. The guys who are still over there won't get back for opening day. And that's after we left three days before Christmas - that was awesome for families.

You're missing opening day and you nearly cried. Must be tough. Know what is tougher? Watching a grown man cry before walking away from their bawling child because they don't want their dad to leave. To a combat zone. For up to nine months - or even ever.

Honestly dude you have no idea how much I respect this and your sacrifice. I understand that short of joining the military and making sacrifices such as you have, I will never be able to relate or understand. And I understand and respect that. I don't know where my life will take me, I may end up join the military, who knows. And there will be many years where I'm sure I will have to miss opening day. I understand that. But it is more of a struggle when it's competing with something as insignificant as the first day of  my junior year of high school. I get straight A's and am taking three ap classes this year including AP calculus. I understand that sacrifices have to be made in school and life but this might not be the day to make them. This wasn't intended to be a post where I whine and cry but was meant to be more of a joke, and I'm sorry it wasn't clear enough for you to take it that way. That's on me.

I want you to know that I thank you for your service and for protecting our freedom. I respect that more than anything. I understand that many people on here have made sacrifices and had their lives changed because of it, such as Aaron, and this wasn't meant to undermine that.

Again, my sincerest apologies for making this seem too petty, but as small as it is I still have a decision to make about hunting while I can or atrending a day of school.

Thank you for your service,
Garett
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2016, 10:53:42 AM »
One of my best friends scheduled her wedding on opening day.  I changed out of my camo in the bathroom about 10 minutes before the wedding.  I may or may not have smelled like elk piss... :dunno:

Thankfully it was not a Catholic wedding...had time for the evening hunt too!

clearly she didn't marry a hunter :chuckle: or he would have turned her down...
USN retired
1981-2011

Online Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2016, 11:09:17 AM »
Garett,

No worries. Go to school and enjoy opening weekend   ;) :tup:

Offline Bill W

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, CBA
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2016, 11:12:03 AM »
I never missed an opening day of grouse season do to school!! I thought it was a conspiracy , grouse always opened the first day of school :chuckle:

You spelled "due" wrong.
Just sayin...

;)
:chuckle: yep maybe I shouldn't have missed so many days of school, haha . I had to miss 4  years of hunting the mighty blacktail when I joined the army after I gradiated,  :chuckle:. That sucked  :'(

I remember how strange it seemed to be applying suntan oil pool side on Christmas day.   I had one late deer season that a day or so before being out it was 88 degrees and I was working on my tan.  When I was home it was trudging thu 15 inches of snow looking at old deer tracks.  Definitely felt colder than I was used to.

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2016, 12:04:10 PM »
... and maybe she has a mustache.  It's Kitsap after all.   :chuckle:

Nah man, thats north mason. I've never understood how you can be cousins with someone multiple ways...
"All of my best elk hunts are the ones where I come home with a big buck!" -RadSav

Offline predatorG

• Ski Bum
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2016, 12:10:17 PM »
Garett,

No worries. Go to school and enjoy opening weekend   ;) :tup:

Well turns out mom put the kabosh on skipping school anyways, thanks for the tips tho and some good life lessons  :tup:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by timberghost72
[Today at 08:55:00 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]