collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Calling/Bugling during early Muzzy for Roosevelt's. Thoughts,opinions?  (Read 3958 times)

Offline BackCountryJunki

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF
Taking my son out for Muzzy season this year and I have never really tried to call or bugle other then a little cow calling. I usually just stick to spot and stalk. Looking for a little insight from those of you that get after them that time of year. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
What are the dates for your hunt?  Sorry, I'm not familiar with the MZ season dates. 
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
I muzzy hunt for elk in western WA.  I used to bow hunt, and was good at calling in elk then.

Now, during Muzzy season (1st week Oct), the elk have been bugled by everybody and their cousin.

Now when I call, I get no response.  If I hear a bull and call, it shuts up.

Last year, I did get between 2 bulls calling each other, until I got spotted by a cow.

I do cow call, and that is still productive.

Offline 4fletch

• Older than old
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
For a couple hrs I had to muzzle hunt early oct (west side ) called quite a few in. Both cow calling any bugleing with out chuckles even called cows in bugleing every one came in silent so if you know elk are in the area don't take off rt away. Hang out for a while. Pm sent

Offline BackCountryJunki

• Tracker
We will be out for the whole first week of Oct. This will be my sons first muzzy hunt behind the trigger. I appreciate the responses. I have read a ton on calling but it seems to be focused on archery season. Heard some guys talking the other day, predicting a late rut. So I thought well maybe give it a try.

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
I would totally utilize  calling .the first week of  Oct  can be  crazy good . Work  estrus  calls . Not calling is leaving a tool out of the bag.
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Agree with coach.  First week in October?  If they haven't taken, cows will be coming into their second estrus cycle and yep, the bulls will continue to be vocal.  Remember that this is a late stage of the rut and the herding up activities have been completed, so, you'll need to work and hunt herded up elk as opposed to cold calling which works much better in the earlier part of the rut when the herding up process is just beginning.  What sounds to practice and use?  Cow/calf chatter, locator bugle, and nervous/popping grunt are the three basic calls you should have in your calling kit when you venture out.  A challenge bugle is another that may pay dividends.  Lastly, there is a bull sound that's called a "calling cows to him bugle" that can really (and does) make a herd bull see red if you use it in close to his gals.  It's a huge slap in the face to a herd bull when you're trying to call his to his ladies.  Go get em!     
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 08:12:24 AM by Phantom16 »
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Elkpiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Hunt  the same way as you would in September..   They may be a little timid, but bulls in Sept can be a little timid to..  Call Call Call,  if the right bull is hot in October he will waltz right in..   But remember every elk situation is different, so you have to really just sing the tune the elk wants to hear...   :twocents:
Their going down!!!

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
In my experience hunting the west end during early ML season,  there's not lots of calling going on. Didn't say none. Just not much.  I'd stick with your cow calls.
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline BUTTER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
You don't have to call to kill an elk I know lots of people that never call and always kill elk. I don't necessarily like to hunt that I call call call because I like to challenge elk either way is correct. Plus I'm lost why you wouldn't call October first that can be the best time if year. The rut is FAR from over at that stage. It all depends on the elk, environment, area? They may be talking on the west side of st Helens but not the east  you just never know. Easy way to find out drive around at night Sept 29th and 30th and bugle in canyons

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
Icant tell you how many times if been walking along cow calling every so often and got a response . if I'm moving around I'm trying to make elk sounds .
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
 :yeah:  last year while walking to "goat heaven" I decided to let a few cow calls out and got an immediate response about 200 yds from me. I didn't get to see him as other recreational people spooked him but I closed to within 100yds before he stopped. You never know with elk. While in the woods, think like an elk not like a human. :tup:
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
I was in the Lowitt last year Oct 16th and the bulls were still bugling.  I think you will still hear some bugling, and might be able to get some responses to cow calls.

Offline BackCountryJunki

• Tracker
Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate the help and advise. Hope everyone has a great season!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg