collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wool blankets vs sleeping bags in wall tent?  (Read 8622 times)

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
Re: Wool blankets vs sleeping bags in wall tent?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 12:00:46 PM »
Us old guys need to stay warm, LOL

I also put my clothes for the next day in the bottom Sleeping bag so they are toasty on the cold mornings.
On really cold nights I sleep with either a scull cap or dew rag on. plus they help from getting your pillow grungy.
when I was solo camping with just a small tent I did the same thing,the only thing that wasn't covered was my nose..had some cold get ups forsure

Offline syoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2016, 01:54:43 PM »
Too bad Cabelas stopped offering the Magnum 44 bag.  I have one and once discovered I was more comfortable in it on my cot than my down on the king bed at home. 

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/515369/cabelas-magnum-44-sleeping-bag-reviews/reviews.htm

Looks like they still offer that bag, in 0 annd -20 ratings. This is the type of bag id go with/may go with.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Magnum-deg-F-Sleeping-Bag/2263942.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dmagnum%2B44%26CQ_st%3Db

I'm going to try a combination of bags and blankets on my cots this next weekend to see how it works as far as blankets falling off etc. If it's not to big of a pain I'll probably go with a blanket this year, and if I hate it, at least I've got a sweet blanket for home use, and can grab up a bag later

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2016, 02:00:18 PM »

Offline syoungs

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 02:35:42 PM »
Shut up and take my money!

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 03:37:42 PM »
For this time of year it doesn't really matter. Once it get to be the end of Spetember and on through the rest of the hunting season I'd have a good bag to use on a cot. The cot puts you up in the air so the cold can get to you from all sides.

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 04:03:04 PM »
Sleeping bag with lots of foam on the cot.  You lose warmth from the bottom while sleeping on a cot.  The foam really helps and I hold on to these pieces all year just for that reason.

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2016, 07:48:51 AM »
Too bad Cabelas stopped offering the Magnum 44 bag.  I have one and once discovered I was more comfortable in it on my cot than my down on the king bed at home. 

http://reviews.cabelas.com/8815/515369/cabelas-magnum-44-sleeping-bag-reviews/reviews.htm

Looks like they still offer that bag, in 0 annd -20 ratings. This is the type of bag id go with/may go with.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Magnum-deg-F-Sleeping-Bag/2263942.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dmagnum%2B44%26CQ_st%3Db

I'm going to try a combination of bags and blankets on my cots this next weekend to see how it works as far as blankets falling off etc. If it's not to big of a pain I'll probably go with a blanket this year, and if I hate it, at least I've got a sweet blanket for home use, and can grab up a bag later

Yep that bag will work. :tup:
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Ghost Hunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Patron Life Member, RMEF Life, Sponser Member
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2016, 08:54:33 AM »
Foam mattrerss and wool blankets. :tup:
Economy failure = Too many people spending money they don't have on things they don't need to impress people they don't like.

Offline 3dvapor

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2016, 09:20:52 AM »
I use the outfitter xl cot with foam pad and Cabela's -20 bag with my own pillow.   That bag works great slot of times I just leave it unzipped.   The wall tents can be kind of drafty at night especially when a storm or two rolls in.

Offline Tom Reichner

• Scout
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2016, 11:26:08 AM »
I prefer a bag - specifically, a rectangular one so that there is plenty of room in which to move my feet and legs about.  Mummy bags suck! 

In fact, I prefer a sleeping bag so much that that is what I sleep in at home; on my bed there are no sheets or blankets.....but there is a nice comfy sleeping bag!
Wildlife Photographed in the Wild
my website:  http://www.tomreichner.com/Wildlife

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2016, 11:32:47 AM »
I've never been fond of the mummy bags. Quite a few years ago I invested in a cold weather, big rectangular sleeping bag. Flannel on the inside, insulation under bag and on top of cot just like all the others have said. I've always been warm whether I was inside a wall tent or sleeping under the stars next to my rig. If it gets too warm in the tent, I just unzip and throw a leg or two over the top. I would think my setup would offer more versatility than the blankets...just my  :twocents:
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal