collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What do you do when somebody points a gun at you?  (Read 35764 times)

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
Re: What do you do when somebody points a gun at you?
« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2016, 11:28:00 PM »
From WDFW:

11. SHOOTER:  33 year-old male  VICTIM:  32 year-old male   FIREARM:  7mm rifle   TYPE: Non-fatal  COUNTY:  Skamania   BLAZE ORANGE:  No HUNTER ED GRADUATE: Unknown DATE OF ACCIDENT:   11/5/02                        NARRATIVE: The shooter and victim (brothers) were elk hunting when they saw possible elk movement along an old logging road.  The victim—who did not have the required elk tag—agreed to enter the forest and try and push the elk towards the other two hunters.  The shooter noticed movement (of his brother in camouflage) some 70 yards away, and used the telescopic sight to get a better view.  The shooter’s gun discharged, striking his brother just above the collarbone.   
CAUSE: Careless handling; victim mistaken for game

This is a great example of why no one should use their scope to do anything except aim to fire!

The fact that so many people are saying it isn't so bad is unbelievable! I'm guessing that those people who say that are doing it themselves.

If you are purposely pointing a gun at someone, whether its ten feet or 250 yards, you better be doing it in self defense. It doesn't matter if it's a handgun or a rifle they both have the same purpose, to kill.

I've taught a few hunter ed classes and the first three rules are muzzle control, muzzle control and muzzle control. The way I have taught is that the only way to fail the field course is to show lack of muzzle control. If it is blatant, your done, I'm taking the dummy firearm out of your hands for the rest of the class.

Treat a gun as if it is always loaded right? Why? "Well, I thought I cleared that round.", "I didn't think it was loaded.", Etc.

Scoping someone is more than careless and, whether you believe it or not, you are putting that persons life in jeopardy!

Read through the incident reports on the right side. Every hunter should read through these, new and old.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/huntered/hunting_incidents.html

My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #121 on: August 06, 2016, 12:41:46 AM »
I'm with jay on this.  I certainly don't condone this behavior, and would intervene if I saw someone doing it, but I think it's highly unlikely that someone  will shoot me while "scoping" me.  People get shot because they are mistaken for game, not because someone mistakenly pulled the trigger on a loaded gun while the safety is off while scoping someone. 

Yes, I know it's possible and may even have happened, save me your stories and your "what if" scenarios and your "you're-really-a-liberal-in-disguise-who-wants-more-people-to-die-by-guns-so-you-can-ban-them-forever" and whatever else can escape from under your hot collar because I disagree with you. 

While I would yell and probably even take cover, I'd chalk it up to someone being an idiot and I would not get confrontational.  I'd protect myself, but if it was obvious that someone was using their scope in lieu of binoculars to scope me, I'm not going to get all upset.  I personally think I face higher risk by riding my motorcycle on public roads. 

As I said, it's not a safe practice, and to make sure nobody does it, we have to teach everyone that it's a sin akin to actual murder.  I get it.  I just don't think it's a big deal and it certainly doesn't warrant me getting into a confrontation with a stranger, where the odds of getting shot go up exponentially.
:yeah:
Lol liberal?  Far from it buddy.  I love my guns and will stand next to anyone who wants to fight with me the day they try to take them.  However, I won't point a gun at you unless I am defending myself or I intend to take your life.  That is gun saftey.  Don't throw around accusations that you have no idea about  it has been a peaceful conversation.  We do not need any idiocracy going on here cause somebody wants to be high and mighty.  Thanks!
yean and don't think anyone has called you a liberal. You asked how we would handle and that's how. I don't get that upset over it unless they do try and shoot at me. Of which I have been. Up Archery hunting several years ago climbing up the other side of this mountain some bear hunters stop just in front of where my rig was parked. I was on a stump sitting and seen them stop get out and begin spotting the hillside I was on. I had binoculars so could see what they were doing. All of a sudden they began to shoot what looked or seemed like my direction. I had orange on too even though in archery season you don't need it unless it's overlapped I think. I yelled hey I'm here and waved they still shot several times. Don't know if they were pissed I was on that hill side or what but.....  :bash: Needless to say I climbed back down and climbed back up the hill where I was parked. they were gone By the time I got back. Thinking they were scaring me out but what ever. In that situation I if I'd of had a gun might have opened back on them just missing them maybe since from my POV they did seem to be shooting at me. But if they'd of only scoped me I'd of stood up waved to let them know I'm not a bear or deer other than that don't think I'd do much. I know I've been scoped to usually from the road bellow when I'm sitting on a hill top and they see something the want to know what it is. I usually as I said stand wave and make sure they're not going to shoot.
I've even had a 12 year old kid pop off a round at me and my friend once. I believe the state never did do anything with him either so...
We don't condone it either my dad told me as a kid to never do that so from then on I never have. But I think too some of us come from a time when people didn't freak out and not sure on the others but I don't change either. SO yea were not condoning it just saying how we'd deal with it. :twocents:
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #122 on: August 06, 2016, 10:37:43 AM »
From WDFW:

11. SHOOTER:  33 year-old male  VICTIM:  32 year-old male   FIREARM:  7mm rifle   TYPE: Non-fatal  COUNTY:  Skamania   BLAZE ORANGE:  No HUNTER ED GRADUATE: Unknown DATE OF ACCIDENT:   11/5/02                        NARRATIVE: The shooter and victim (brothers) were elk hunting when they saw possible elk movement along an old logging road.  The victim—who did not have the required elk tag—agreed to enter the forest and try and push the elk towards the other two hunters.  The shooter noticed movement (of his brother in camouflage) some 70 yards away, and used the telescopic sight to get a better view.  The shooter’s gun discharged, striking his brother just above the collarbone.   
CAUSE: Careless handling; victim mistaken for game

This is a great example of why no one should use their scope to do anything except aim to fire!

The fact that so many people are saying it isn't so bad is unbelievable! I'm guessing that those people who say that are doing it themselves.

If you are purposely pointing a gun at someone, whether its ten feet or 250 yards, you better be doing it in self defense. It doesn't matter if it's a handgun or a rifle they both have the same purpose, to kill.

I've taught a few hunter ed classes and the first three rules are muzzle control, muzzle control and muzzle control. The way I have taught is that the only way to fail the field course is to show lack of muzzle control. If it is blatant, your done, I'm taking the dummy firearm out of your hands for the rest of the class.

Treat a gun as if it is always loaded right? Why? "Well, I thought I cleared that round.", "I didn't think it was loaded.", Etc.

Scoping someone is more than careless and, whether you believe it or not, you are putting that persons life in jeopardy!

Read through the incident reports on the right side. Every hunter should read through these, new and old.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/huntered/hunting_incidents.html

I don't think ANYONE here has said "It's OK to look at a person through a rifle scope".  This particular post is "WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF SOMEONE POINTS A GUN AT YOU".  It is not "IS IT OK IN YOUR OPINION TO USE RIFLE SCOPES TO LOOK AT A PERSON". 
My way of handling the situation that huntingaddiction found himself in is different than others.  That does not mean that I feel it's OK for someone to use a scoped rifle to look at me. 

I really wish people would start comprehending what is written.  I think we are all in agreement about the severity of the situation.  However, how that particular situation is handled varies from "If someone points a gun at me, I'm shooting at them!" to "I'd take care of myself and not get confrontational or escalate the situation." 
Can you explain to me how these responses indicate in any way that "That guy pointing a gun at huntingaddiction was a totally safe and accepted practice?"

Offline elkfins

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #123 on: August 06, 2016, 01:36:58 PM »
For those of you who are advocating or stating that you would shoot back, consider this true story.

In 2013, my son and I were deer hunting in GMU 336.  The area was cut and re-planted about 15 - 20 years ago.  We were standing on a knoll in the middle of the cut watching a draw and the opposite hillside when we saw 8 or 9 deer single file up the opposite hillside about 200 yards away.  I recognized the last deer as a buck and by my naked eye, I was about 90% certain it was a legal 3pt.  I brought my rifle up and confirmed he was legal then watched the buck as he walked for about 20 yards up the hill following the does waiting for him to come to an open spot where I could get a clear shot... maybe 20 seconds or so.   Once he reached the spot I wanted, I shot and knocked him down.
As we crossed the draw, I saw 2 hunters (Father and his son) coming down towards the fallen buck and were standing about 20 yards away when my son and I reached the buck.
They congratulated me on a good shot and then started to tell me that they were watching me the whole time and were sitting on the hillside about 50 yards above the deer but did not know they were there as the deer were below a small rise and out of their view.  I never saw them until I was approaching the downed buck.  They were certain at the time I was watching the buck through my scope that I was looking at them through my scope and were discussing whether to confront me about it or not up to the point that I shot.  After the shot, the remaining deer ran up the hill towards them and they realized I was not scoping them.
Had they been of mind to immediately shoot at me because they "thought" I was scoping them, I may not be alive today.  So, if you think someone is scoping you, make damn certain they are a threat and intend you harm before you just react in an aggressive manner.  Don't let your anger at being scoped by another cause you to disregard your common sense.

Offline pawpaw1934

• Tracker
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #124 on: August 06, 2016, 02:01:31 PM »
Elkfins, thank you for the story and adding some common sense. Best of luck in your hunting adventures!

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #125 on: August 06, 2016, 02:22:23 PM »
Davemonti, this is what I was talking about.
I wouldn't say anything.

Maybe wave and see if they wave back.

Continue on hunt.

Not post on HUNTWA

but that's just me......................
can I ask why?  I think this is a good conversation to have.  Accidents happen because people don't think even though they know better.  Honestly the coversation needs to happen because it is NEVER ok to pint a gun at somebody with the exception of defending yourself.  So sorry I am going to say something.  This is unacceptable behavior and we should not stay quiet about.

I'm used to having rifles pointed at me and I don't think being scoped is that big of deal.

I certainly wouldn't flip out over it.

Offline jay.sharkbait

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2016, 03:00:10 PM »
I wouldn't say anything.

Continue on hunt.

Not post on HUNTWA

can I ask why?  I think this is a good conversation to have.  Accidents happen because people don't think even though they know better.  Honestly the coversation needs to happen because it is NEVER ok to pint a gun at somebody with the exception of defending yourself.  So sorry I am going to say something.  This is unacceptable behavior and we should not stay quiet about.

I'm used to having rifles pointed at me and I don't think being scoped is that big of deal.

So the OP asks for input on what you (I) would do if someone pointed a rifle at me in a hunting environment and I answered.

I even clarified why I felt that way.

Never at any point did I say that I have scoped anyone or said it was ok for others to do it.

Sorry you don't like it, but it is my input on the matter.

Offline csaaphill

• Anti Hunters are weird animals.
  • Old Salt
  • Hunting is non-negotiable it's what I do!
  • Groups: G.O.A., Rocky Mountain ELk Foundation
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2016, 08:41:16 PM »
For those of you who are advocating or stating that you would shoot back, consider this true story.

In 2013, my son and I were deer hunting in GMU 336.  The area was cut and re-planted about 15 - 20 years ago.  We were standing on a knoll in the middle of the cut watching a draw and the opposite hillside when we saw 8 or 9 deer single file up the opposite hillside about 200 yards away.  I recognized the last deer as a buck and by my naked eye, I was about 90% certain it was a legal 3pt.  I brought my rifle up and confirmed he was legal then watched the buck as he walked for about 20 yards up the hill following the does waiting for him to come to an open spot where I could get a clear shot... maybe 20 seconds or so.   Once he reached the spot I wanted, I shot and knocked him down.
As we crossed the draw, I saw 2 hunters (Father and his son) coming down towards the fallen buck and were standing about 20 yards away when my son and I reached the buck.
They congratulated me on a good shot and then started to tell me that they were watching me the whole time and were sitting on the hillside about 50 yards above the deer but did not know they were there as the deer were below a small rise and out of their view.  I never saw them until I was approaching the downed buck.  They were certain at the time I was watching the buck through my scope that I was looking at them through my scope and were discussing whether to confront me about it or not up to the point that I shot.  After the shot, the remaining deer ran up the hill towards them and they realized I was not scoping them.
Had they been of mind to immediately shoot at me because they "thought" I was scoping them, I may not be alive today.  So, if you think someone is scoping you, make damn certain they are a threat and intend you harm before you just react in an aggressive manner.  Don't let your anger at being scoped by another cause you to disregard your common sense.
:yeah:
and from what I can tell, he wasn't condoning the act he was just saying.
"When my bow falls, so shall the world. When me heart ceases to pump blood to my body, it will all come crashing down. As a hunter, we are bound by duty, nay, bound by our very soul to this world. When a hunter dies we feel it, we sense it, and the world trembles with sorrow. When I die, so shall the world, from the shock of loosing such a great part of ones soul." Ezekiel, Okeanos Hunter

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2016, 09:10:59 PM »
I wouldn't say anything.

Continue on hunt.

Not post on HUNTWA

So the OP asks for input on what you (I) would do if someone pointed a rifle at me in a hunting environment and I answered.

I even clarified why I felt that way.

Never at any point did I say that I have scoped anyone or said it was ok for others to do it.

Sorry you don't like it, but it is my input on the matter.

Fair enough.

I feel that any time a person points a gun at another person it's pretty serious! The OP asked what would you do but I still think it should be reiterated how serious this should be taken.

Offline huntingaddiction

• Sasquatch
  • Scout
  • Eat, Sleep, Hunt!
« Reply #129 on: August 07, 2016, 09:40:35 AM »
I just want to say thanks for all the input.  It has been a good conversation and there are many different points of view here.  Everybody is going to handle this situation differently.  With my military training I instinctively prepared.  Common sense was there I didn't just shoot but unfortunately in this day and age I just have to assume the worst.  I did give him a good tongue lashing and he will probably never forget it.  For the record I never did put him in my scope I did get my rifle ready though.  Just in case.  My hope is that maybe a lot of people have read this post and learned a thing or two.  I know I did!  I believe as outdoorsman we are all on the same team and we need to have discussions like this.  I respect all opinions on here though I may disagree with some I did ask a question and you all gave viable answers and reasons for acting as such.  With that said I hope everybody has a good hunting season and keep it safe out there!
A bad day out hunting is better than a good day at work!

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2016, 09:48:23 AM »
HUntingaddiction is right. It is a crime. Call the police. I have represented guys accused of that same statute. Honestly, had you shot and killed him, I'd get you acquitted at trial on self defense grounds if it even got that far.

Offline crowinghen

• Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2016, 10:26:55 AM »
We have had this discussion in the past. What is really disturbing is there are members on this site, no doubt some have read this thread, that find nothing wrong with using their scope this way. :mor:

Exactly! I've been scoped before , scared the you know what outta me. Some punk going- hey I think it's a girl
 I would have never  imagined that  people do that-- it's a fricking gun!

Offline EmeraldBullet

• Scout
« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2016, 10:36:21 AM »
Not sure how I would react, but I wouldn't be happy about it. That situation is so avoidable. The guy could've just asked his buddy right next to him to borrow the binos. No excuse to scope someone you already know is a person.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #133 on: August 19, 2016, 11:03:50 PM »
Last time that happened to me, I walked over to him to discuss it. When I finished beating his ass, I took the bolt from his rifle & threw it in the river.

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #134 on: August 19, 2016, 11:13:21 PM »
 :yike: :tup: That's friggen awesome!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal