collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Desert early archery  (Read 3926 times)

Offline jimkrueg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Desert early archery
« on: August 05, 2016, 03:35:49 PM »
I was lucky enough to get drawn for the Desert Unit for the 3rd time, first two where the  late hunt with no success. I was thinking about trying something different than spot and stalk. Should I try tree stand or ground blind?  Thanks for your input.

Jim

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
Re: Desert early archery
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 03:50:01 PM »
I had the tag in 2006.  I can tell you that it's extremely hard to "pattern" these deer.  They just use different routes so much.
That goes for Summer, Winter and Fall.  They will be in the same areas, but the thought of a ground blind or tree stand, doesn't seem practical with my experience. They use different trails so much and the cover doesn't always match up with their routes.

I covered 8-10 miles a day on average during my hunt.  Multiple days, I would see the same buck 2-4 miles from where I saw him the day before.
This was a tail end of the rut to post rut hunt.

I killed my buck on the 14th day of my hunt, the last day of the season.

Take it for what it is worth.  I am sure others will chime in.

Best of luck on your hunt.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Badhabit

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 04:26:43 PM »
I have a buddy that lives on the hill behind the Sportsman's Park. He said he saw a really nice 4x4 out in the west arm 2 nights ago. He was bass fishing and moving along with his trolling motor. Since he's running a mud boat he can get to areas where only the air boat can go. He said he was deep in the dunes.

Offline jimkrueg

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 04:44:29 PM »
Thanks for the info...I also walked lots of miles but the deer seem to see me first. Lol....being 6' 2" and 240 I don't tread lightly... I thought of using my 12' aluminum boat with a 10 horse motor and just cruise the shore line. I'll be scouting every weekend until Labor day.

Offline scoutdog346

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 07:20:22 PM »
Thanks for the info...I also walked lots of miles but the deer seem to see me first. Lol....being 6' 2" and 240 I don't tread lightly... I thought of using my 12' aluminum boat with a 10 horse motor and just cruise the shore line. I'll be scouting every weekend until Labor day.

Sounds like a fun hunt Just make sure the boat completely stops moving as its illegal to shoot from a moving boat or somthing like that.  Look into what the regs. say about hunting from a boat.  I might be thinking of a different state or somthing but i think I've read that one time...idk

Offline HunterDan03

• Tracker
  • Groups: MDF,RMEF,DU & NRA
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 07:24:49 PM »
Try and lock down permission close to the corn fields in the unit. Lots of deer living in the corn fields this time of year. You only get a short time in the morning and evening to hunt them. Lots of good ones around this year. Good luck

Offline muleracks

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 09:43:31 PM »
Ground blind on are heavily used trail into the feed.  20 or 30 yards on the down wind side.

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 10:08:26 AM »
The THIRD time?!!!?

As a general rule in life I try not to hate anyone.

You are pushing my limits.  :chuckle:
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline Old Man Yager

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, PRHAA
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2016, 06:46:04 AM »
I had the tag in 2006.  I can tell you that it's extremely hard to "pattern" these deer.  They just use different routes so much.
That goes for Summer, Winter and Fall.  They will be in the same areas, but the thought of a ground blind or tree stand, doesn't seem practical with my experience. They use different trails so much and the cover doesn't always match up with their routes.

I covered 8-10 miles a day on average during my hunt.  Multiple days, I would see the same buck 2-4 miles from where I saw him the day before.
This was a tail end of the rut to post rut hunt.

I killed my buck on the 14th day of my hunt, the last day of the season.

Take it for what it is worth.  I am sure others will chime in.

Best of luck on your hunt.
I had the tag in 2006 also. I had similar situation, I saw the same buck 3 times in one day, in different areas, shot him the third time I saw him.
My Dad always said, " Get a bigger hammer "

Offline niceshot

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 12:31:45 PM »
Good luck and remember that if you are near a field that has doves your plans will be destroyed in moments.  The dove hunters will be out in full force. 

Offline bradslam

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 01:04:24 PM »
I had the archery tag in 1997 and will disagree to some extent with not being able to pattern them.  I found some bachelor groups that seemed to exit the alfalfa fields in the same spot each day.  Of course, this was in summer and early September, not anywhere near the rut.  You might find a spot that is more conducive to the deer getting into a routine based on the lay of the land and the location of cover relative to feeding areas.  One thing I do know, is that there were only a few minutes of shooting time in the morning and evening where the deer were actually moving.  The rest of the day they were lounging around in the Russian Olive trees trying to beat the heat.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal