collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Boot opinions?  (Read 11343 times)

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
Boot opinions?
« on: August 09, 2016, 06:25:39 AM »
Alright I know we have covered boots a few times but I want to get some opinions from people on my foot problems. I really enjoy hiking into alpine country and putting in long days while hunting there. My problem is that after about half a day on my feet hiking in that stuff my feet start to ache and get hot spots on the bottoms. No blisters just uncomfortable soreness to the point it gets tough to walk by the end of the day. I run a pair of meindl boots with some superfeet green insoles now for hiking and hunting the high country. These were the only pair of boots I have found that were somewhat comfortable. I have tried kenetreks and they gave me blisters on the heel and leaked after one hike so tossed those. I have tried 2 or 3 other types of boot and they were all tough on my feet. Maybe I have sissy feet or something but I am looking for any pointers and possible suggestions on a new boot to try. I have probably spent a couple grand in trials now and want to hit the jackpot with my next boot. Thinking about scarpas from kuiu anyone try these?

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Boot opinions?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 06:31:48 AM »
Are your feet getting hot and sweating?  If your boot fit is good, try swapping out your socks mid day.  Let your feet breathe for a bit while having lunch, then toss the new dry socks on. 

Offline trapp01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2016, 06:36:10 AM »
Have you tried any light mountaineering boots. I wear the lowa GTX mountain pro. My feet are a little on the wider side and these fit well. I also have pretty tough feet. These boots are either bright red or green so I smeared charcoal on them to get ride of the brightness.

Good luck
Jason

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 06:37:14 AM »
The green super feet have a fairly aggressive arch on them.  If they don't match your foot,  they may be putting some extra pressure on them.  I just bought some scarpa kenisis pro's and was liking them pretty well till this last weekend.  I've ran the green SF in my Meindl Alaskan's for a long time but in these scarpa's they darn near killed me.  The original for beds are very comfortable so I'm gonna toss em back in and give them one me chance.  Biggest issue was my ankles.  Ive always worn a tall boot and this mid top boot really jacked me up with a heavy pack.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 06:42:47 AM »
Are your feet getting hot and sweating?  If your boot fit is good, try swapping out your socks mid day.  Let your feet breathe for a bit while having lunch, then toss the new dry socks on. 
That's good advice.  Sometimes just a fresh pair of socks and a minute to dry out (boot and foot) will help a bunch

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 07:00:27 AM »
That's good advice.  Sometimes just a fresh pair of socks and a minute to dry out (boot and foot) will help a bunch

Yes I do this. I actually sat for 30 minutes with boots and socks off before hiking down the mountain. It does help me for about an hour but then the feet get sore again.

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2016, 07:01:40 AM »
Have you tried any light mountaineering boots. I wear the lowa GTX mountain pro. My feet are a little on the wider side and these fit well. I also have pretty tough feet. These boots are either bright red or green so I smeared charcoal on them to get ride of the brightness.

Good luck
Jason

I have not tried the lowas yet. Is there someplace I can try these on or do I have to order online?

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2016, 07:03:06 AM »
The green super feet have a fairly aggressive arch on them.  If they don't match your foot,  they may be putting some extra pressure on them.  I just bought some scarpa kenisis pro's and was liking them pretty well till this last weekend.  I've ran the green SF in my Meindl Alaskan's for a long time but in these scarpa's they darn near killed me.  The original for beds are very comfortable so I'm gonna toss em back in and give them one me chance.  Biggest issue was my ankles.  Ive always worn a tall boot and this mid top boot really jacked me up with a heavy pack.

Sounds like I should maybe give a different insole a try. Were the scarpas pretty comfy other than your ankle issue?

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2016, 07:14:04 AM »

Sounds like I should maybe give a different insole a try. Were the scarpas pretty comfy other than your ankle issue?

Take a look at the SOLE insoles.  They are heat moldable, or you can just wear them and they will mold over time.  They come in different thicknesses, the gray color will probably match the factory insole for thickness.

Might also look at your socks.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 07:37:53 AM »

very comfortable.  Not sure if the ankles got jacked from the weight of the pack or if it could have been because my foot wasn't in the boot right due to the new insoles.  There will be another intense hike this weekend with the original footbeds to confirm or dismiss the footbed theory.  Crazy how a footed that has served me so well for almost a decade can be that different in another boot.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2016, 07:41:07 AM »
What is the location of the pain, specifically?  Ball, heel, insole, nerve, tendon?

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2016, 08:12:53 AM »
What is the location of the pain, specifically?  Ball, heel, insole, nerve, tendon?

Mostly the ball. I get a little on the back of the heel once in awhile but I think that is due to a little bit of slippage. usually put mole skin on that if it acts up. But the ball really gets sore especially when hiking down.

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2016, 08:18:27 AM »

Take a look at the SOLE insoles.  They are heat moldable, or you can just wear them and they will mold over time.  They come in different thicknesses, the gray color will probably match the factory insole for thickness.

Might also look at your socks.

I will look at those insoles. Yeah I am starting to wonder about the socks myself. I wear a midweight werino wool for most of my hunting. Im thinking I may need to go lighter to cut back on sweat. My feet do seem to sweat a lot for some reason. I hunt with a guy that actually puts deodorant on his feet every day before heading out of camp, I thought it was kinda weird but now im starting to think hes a genious!

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2016, 08:25:28 AM »
Kuiu boots have a super stiff shank. More of a mountaineering boot. I had charmoz pro gtx. Great  boot, just didn't like how stiff the  bottom was.
Many of the insoles work great in shoes but when you put them in boots it overcorrects your foot.

Trying some liner socks is probably worth a shot. Bridgedale makes some nice thin ones.

Or call lathrop and sons

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 08:36:23 AM »
Do you do alot of hiking outside of hunting season? Or running? Are you on a trail or alot of sidehill?  Proper footwear will only get you so far, if your feet are going from strolling in the park to tackling the mountain no amount of support will prepare them for the beating they are recieving. I hate running, but it does wonders for my feet as far as soreness and fatigue go. I don't pound out cameron hanes mileage but even an easy jog a few times a week will keep the bones and tendons strong. If you are conditioning frequently and  been running a well fittting system, then a custom orthotic sounds like  the next logical step.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal