collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pretty New but saw my 1st black bear on the second day  (Read 6729 times)

Offline Psychokiller888

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Pretty New but saw my 1st black bear on the second day
« on: August 10, 2016, 12:14:24 PM »
Been doing some after work hunting as this is only my second year I am still learning from a good friend. I went strait from work to hunt. Heard branches snap for about 30 min when I saw a large black head pop out of the tall grass from the tree line. I already had my gun raised seeing a black dot in the distance in a yellow field was hard to miss. I hesitated with my friend closed by so I motioned to him that I saw a bear. He spotted him out and confirmed it was a bear. Said he would take the shot as he was unsure of the scope sighting on my gun and I would follow him up. Perfect positioning of the bears side and aimed center pulling the trigger. The bear ran to the right the direction of my friend so I did not fire the second shot. Then the bear turned around and ran back to the left were I was unable to spot him through the scope.

Scouted the area and found no blood. was pretty sad as I saw the bear perfect but didn't want to fail the shot or shoot my partner which he was glad for. Don't know how he missed nor does he as he felt it was a beautiful shot about 100 yds.

What I learned from this though is I should remember land marks from where I am sitting so I know were to scout when I get down there. the tall grass kind of made me wander a lot as I was unsure where the bear was at. and Always make sure your gun is sighted.

Anyone have any advice? Will the bear come back to that area?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 08:06:36 AM by Psychokiller888 »

Offline huntingaddiction

• Sasquatch
  • Scout
  • Eat, Sleep, Hunt!
Re: Pretty New but saw my 1st black bear on the second day
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 12:25:45 PM »
First of all, I would not post that you used your buddies gun...that is illegal unless it was transferred over to you correctly.  Bears are wanderers.  You never know where you are going to see one.  The best thing you can do is spend as much time in the field as possible if you really want to shoot a bear.  The bear may come back but probably not.
A bad day out hunting is better than a good day at work!

Offline Elkrunner

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 12:28:40 PM »
First of all, I would not post that you used your buddies gun...that is illegal unless it was transferred over to you correctly.  Bears are wanderers.  You never know where you are going to see one.  The best thing you can do is spend as much time in the field as possible if you really want to shoot a bear.  The bear may come back but probably not.

Are you saying its illegal to borrow someones gun to go on a hunting trip?  Its not like you are transferring ownership without doing the proper paper work.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 12:33:04 PM »
I assume that the OP properly observed all I-594 law-abiding citizen harassment provisions including that prescribed to hunt with a borrowed rifle.

(4) This section does not apply to:
(f) The temporary transfer of a firearm
(v)  while  hunting  if  the  hunting  is  legal  in  all  places  where  the  person to  whom  the  firearm  is transferred  possesses  the  firearm  and  the  person  to  whom  the  firearm  is  transferred  has  completed  all  training and holds all licenses or permits required for such hunting,  provided  that  any  temporary  transfer  allowed  by  this  subsection  is  permitted only if the person to whom the firearm is transferred is not  prohibited from possessing firearms under state or federal law.

Congrats, OP, on your first black bear sighting.  Conditions? Elevation? Time? Environment?

Offline Psychokiller888

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 12:51:12 PM »
Overcast all day, so was very cool. AT about 1600 up near Port Ludlow. Wind was coming from the direction of the bear. Little strange was deer were also in the area of the bear. Came out calmly right before the bear. Elevation wasn't very high in that area.

Offline Psychokiller888

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2016, 12:54:32 PM »
Am I ok to borrow? I have my own guns but they are opposite direction from were I was hunting and I have all my licenses and have my training for Hunting and Trapping from Pennsylvania Game commission.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 01:02:20 PM »

Thanks for your contribution.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 03:16:11 PM »

Thanks for your contribution.
:jacked: :police: they're everywhere!

To the OP;
Good work on getting out and spotting a bear! Too bad you didn't get him but keep after it and it'll happen!  :tup:

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2016, 03:20:17 PM »

Are you saying its illegal to borrow someones gun to go on a hunting trip?  Its not like you are transferring ownership without doing the proper paper work.

Loaning/borrowing a gun is considered a transfer, and under I-594 may legally be done in the field for the purposes of hunting.
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2016, 03:58:20 PM »
As long as food is still in the area I would expect the bear back. A couple years ago I watched a bear get scared off of a logging road by hikers, a couple days later a buddy of mine killed the bear in the exact same spot it was bumped from. Was that bear shot at? No but she was used to that area. My guess is it will probably go right back to the same ol' routine.

People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline Psychokiller888

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2016, 04:19:27 PM »
Ok. The clear cut is full of berries and I'm sure he will be back then.

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2016, 04:22:56 PM »
Was this late in the evening? I'm just trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong in regards to hunting these damn things. I've been out early in the morning. Spotted all sorts of wildlife including a few nice bulls and a buck the other morning but can't for the life of me find a bear!

Offline SemperFidelis97

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2016, 04:26:02 PM »
He may also not be the only bear in the area, so its worth taking another look for sure. 

Offline Psychokiller888

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2016, 04:29:39 PM »
It was around 1600-1700. Was nice breeze overcast about 65-70. In a clear cut full of berries.

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2016, 04:32:05 PM »
It was around 1600-1700. Was nice breeze overcast about 65-70. In a clear cut full of berries.

If there are berries there will be bears.
Matthew 7:13-14

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal