collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Teanaway opening day for archery hunter orange requirement?  (Read 10955 times)

Offline soccerftw123

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: nwtf
Teanaway opening day for archery hunter orange requirement?
« on: August 12, 2016, 05:04:21 PM »
Okay I need a game regs expert, there is a modern fire arm cow elk tag in teanaway from august 1st through September 9th. The game regs state on page 6

"Anyone hunting in an area that is open for modern firearm deer or elk hunting must meet hunter orange requirements if they are hunting any of the following species: Bear, bobcat, cougar, coyote, deer, elk, fox, grouse, hare, rabbit, or raccoon."

So if I deer hunt teanaway opening weekend for deer, do I need to wear hunter orange or risk getting a ticket because these seasons overlap?

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 05:45:51 PM by soccerftw123 »

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Teanaway opening day for archery hunter oragne requirement?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 05:07:06 PM »
Okay I need a game regs expert, there is a modern fire arm cow elk tag in teanaway from august 1st through September 9th. The game regs state on page 6

"Anyone hunting in an area that is open for modern firearm deer or elk hunting must meet hunter orange requirements if they are hunting any of the following species: Bear, bobcat, cougar, coyote, deer, elk, fox, grouse, hare, rabbit, or raccoon."

So if I deer hunt teanaway opening weekend for deer, do I need to wear hunter orange or risk getting a ticket because these seasons overlap?

I would read that as yes, you need orange.
This thread has some solid potential to grow some legs.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 05:15:38 PM »
http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/regulations/hunter_orange/
Under the following conditions a minimum of 400 square inches of fluorescent hunter orange exterior clothing is required. It must be worn above the waist and be visible from all sides. A hat, by itself, does not meet this requirement. 
•Anyone hunting deer or elk during any modern firearm deer or elk general season is required to wear fluorescent hunter orange clothing. All modern firearm permit holders must wear fluorescent hunter orange clothing. This includes archers and muzzleloaders while hunting in units (e.g. GMUs, Deer, Areas, Elk Areas, Wilderness Areas, etc.) that overlap modern firearm seasons.
•Anyone hunting in an area that is open for modern firearm deer or elk hunting must meet hunter orange requirements if they are hunting any of the following species: Bear, Bobcat, Cougar, Coyote, Deer, Elk, Fox, Grouse, Hare, Rabbit, or Raccoon.
•During any upland game bird (pheasant, quail, and partridge) season, anyone hunting upland game birds or rabbits with a modern firearm is required to wear fluorescent hunter orange clothing. (Grouse are not upland game birds.)

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 05:25:36 PM »
Looks pretty cut and dry to me.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline crowcaller

• Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 05:43:52 PM »
So if I am hunting the general opening season of Teanaway archery deer, starting September 1st, I must also be reading all of the special permit regulations for modern firearm to be aware that the 30 permits they issued to modern firearm cow elk hunters (which is likely a damage control hunt imo) will require all of the archery deer hunters in Teanaway to cover their camo with hunter orange until September 10th.  Thanks for the heads up.

Are there any other special modern firearm seasons that conflict with there general archery deer and elk seasons in this area?

Has anyone been pinched by this regulation in this area?

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
Re: Teanaway opening day for archery hunter orange requirement?
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 06:59:55 PM »
They are talking sbout GENERAL MODERN RIFLE. You do not have to wear orange just because someone in the unit has a rifle special permit.

We ran into this issue for a muzzy tag not long ago in 346 when 3 guys hD rifke tags.  No hubter orange required.   
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 07:06:50 PM »
They are talking sbout GENERAL MODERN RIFLE. You do not have to wear orange just because someone in the unit has a rifle special permit.

We ran into this issue for a muzzy tag not long ago in 346 when 3 guys hD rifke tags.  No hubter orange required.

:yeah:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline GrampasGuns

• Scout
  • Groups: WWA, DU, RGS, NWTF
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 07:10:26 PM »
There are no animals in the teanaway anyways! ;D

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The deer are exactly where you find them, and no where you dont!

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 08:20:49 PM »
Some portions of Elk Area 3911 are in the Teanaway GMU. 3911 has a general elk season for Master Hunters starting August 1. If you are hunting in 3911 after August 1, orange would be required.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline crowcaller

• Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 11:32:12 PM »
Let's pretend for the moment there are animals in the Teanaway and maybe other units as well;  since the Raffle winners can hunt most general and permit areas using any legal weapon , including modern firearm, Sept 1 to Dec 31, does that mean that we all must use hunter orange all the time in case one of the lucky winners may be in our archery area with a rifle? The hunter orange requirement conditions are written poorly otherwise there would not be different opinions about when it is required.

Offline dye7barrel

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 07:26:18 AM »
Some portions of Elk Area 3911 are in the Teanaway GMU. 3911 has a general elk season for Master Hunters starting August 1. If you are hunting in 3911 after August 1, orange would be required.

This.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 08:31:38 AM »
Let's pretend for the moment there are animals in the Teanaway and maybe other units as well;  since the Raffle winners can hunt most general and permit areas using any legal weapon , including modern firearm, Sept 1 to Dec 31, does that mean that we all must use hunter orange all the time in case one of the lucky winners may be in our archery area with a rifle? The hunter orange requirement conditions are written poorly otherwise there would not be different opinions about when it is required.
"It is unlawful to hunt deer or elk during all modern firearm general seasons in any manner unless the hunter is wearing fluorescent hunter orange clothing."

Raffle hunts are not general seasons.

The regulation is clear to me. :dunno:

Offline Curly

• Legend
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 08:38:24 AM »
Are master hunter hunts, general season hunts?
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 08:45:54 AM »
Are master hunter hunts, general season hunts?
Those such as 3911 that do not involve a permit drawing are.

If you're not sure you can check the regulations under "Modern Firearm General Seasons."

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 01:22:56 PM »
I see it as general deer and general elk modern seasons only........master hunters could never make a mistake  right.
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2016, 02:13:58 PM »
I see it as general deer and general elk modern seasons only........master hunters could never make a mistake  right.
3911 is a general modern firearm elk season for Master Hunters.  ;)

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2016, 03:15:58 PM »
Personally, in response to the original question of hunting deer in the Teanaway unit during the early archery season, I would not wear orange. Technically, the law may require it, according  to the way the law is written, but I don't believe that was the intent.

Think about most of the state being open for bear hunting, with the majority of those hunters using rifles, yet deer and elk archery hunters aren't required to wear orange because of that.

Why should they be required to wear orange because there might be a couple of master hunters hunting elk?

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2016, 03:26:08 PM »
Personally, in response to the original question of hunting deer in the Teanaway unit during the early archery season, I would not wear orange. Technically, the law may require it, according  to the way the law is written, but I don't believe that was the intent.

Think about most of the state being open for bear hunting, with the majority of those hunters using rifles, yet deer and elk archery hunters aren't required to wear orange because of that.

Why should they be required to wear orange because there might be a couple of master hunters hunting elk?
Inside 3911, the concentration of hunters can be much higher than in most areas open for bear hunting. Hunters can choose to not wear orange but inside 3911 it would not be legal. I know for a fact that archery hunters have been cited.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2016, 03:28:14 PM »
I guess it comes down to common sense. Lots of rifle hunters, wear orange, fine. Or better yet, hunt somewhere else. Just seems silly to me to require an archery hunter to wear orange. They might as well just stay home.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2016, 03:33:05 PM »
I guess it comes down to common sense. Lots of rifle hunters, wear orange, fine. Or better yet, hunt somewhere else. Just seems silly to me to require an archery hunter to wear orange. They might as well just stay home.
To me, thats silly. I've had deer walk within five feet of me when I was wearing orange from head to toe.

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2016, 07:53:33 AM »
I have one of those modern cow permits.  So on Sept 1 if I switched to archery deer hunting I could also take an antlerless elk if the opportunity came up but I believe I have to wear orange to do so. 

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2016, 08:06:53 AM »
I have one of those modern cow permits.  So on Sept 1 if I switched to archery deer hunting I could also take an antlerless elk if the opportunity came up but I believe I have to wear orange to do so.
You would need to wear orange for the modern cow permit.

"All modern firearm permit holders must wear fluorescent hunter orange clothing."

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2016, 08:52:06 AM »
It gets pretty confusing. On page 6 it states that if you are hunting certain animals with a modern firearm you have to wear orange. But if you look in the special permit section there are only a handful of hunts that have a "hunt note" requirement of wearing orange (even on modern only hunts).
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2016, 09:01:30 AM »
It gets pretty confusing. On page 6 it states that if you are hunting certain animals with a modern firearm you have to wear orange. But if you look in the special permit section there are only a handful of hunts that have a "hunt note" requirement of wearing orange (even on modern only hunts).
The WACs are what you need to follow.

"All modern firearm permit holders must wear fluorescent hunter orange clothing."

The notes don't indicate you don't have to wear orange on certain modern hunts, just an emphasis for some that you do.

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2016, 09:10:54 AM »

The notes don't indicate you don't have to wear orange on certain modern hunts, just an emphasis for some that you do.

I agree, following the WAC is the way to go! It's when you go through the regs and see notes on only a few of the special permits that Hunter orange is required it can give a person the false impression that they wouldn't need to wear it on that particular hunt.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2016, 09:37:40 AM »

I agree, following the WAC is the way to go! It's when you go through the regs and see notes on only a few of the special permits that Hunter orange is required it can give a person the false impression that they wouldn't need to wear it on that particular hunt.
That is a bit odd.

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2016, 05:14:24 PM »
Now this could just be me, however I have witnessed some clueless knuckleheads running around the woods with a rifle in their hands.  There is no way I would be in the same county with them were I not wearing as much orange as I possibly could.
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline Nash

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2016, 02:19:42 PM »
Under the following conditions a minimum of 400 square inches of fluorescent hunter orange exterior clothing is required. It must be worn above the waist and be visible from all sides. A hat, by itself, does not meet this requirement. 
Anyone hunting deer or elk during any modern firearm deer or elk general season is required to wear fluorescent hunter orange clothing. All modern firearm permit holders must wear fluorescent hunter orange clothing. This includes archers and muzzleloaders while hunting in units (e.g. GMUs, Deer, Areas, Elk Areas, Wilderness Areas, etc.) that overlap modern firearm seasons.
•Anyone hunting in an area that is open for modern firearm deer or elk hunting must meet hunter orange requirements if they are hunting any of the following species: Bear, Bobcat, Cougar, Coyote, Deer, Elk, Fox, Grouse, Hare, Rabbit, or Raccoon.
•During any upland game bird (pheasant, quail, and partridge) season, anyone hunting upland game birds or rabbits with a modern firearm is required to wear fluorescent hunter orange clothing. (Grouse are not upland game birds.)

What the intent is, I don't know. Seems pretty cut and dry to me as well. Would I wear it? Maybe. Would I have it with in case I need to put it in real quick? Yes
« Last Edit: August 17, 2016, 02:26:41 PM by Nash »

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2016, 03:07:55 PM »
Anyone hunting deer or elk during any modern firearm deer or elk general season is required to wear fluorescent hunter orange clothing. All modern firearm permit holders must wear fluorescent hunter orange clothing. This includes archers and muzzleloaders while hunting in units (e.g. GMUs, Deer, Areas, Elk Areas, Wilderness Areas, etc.) that overlap modern firearm seasons.

What the intent is, I don't know. Seems pretty cut and dry to me as well. Would I wear it? Maybe. Would I have it with in case I need to put it in real quick? Yes

The intent is to keep people from getting shot! A high power rifle is lethal up to several miles. A bow, up to a couple hundred yards. A muzzle loader can still reach out and touch someone but still not as far as a high power. If I can't see you because you are wearing camo, I can't guarantee that I won't take a shot in your direction if an animal is between me and you.

Part of the elk area 3911 is in the teanaway GMU and the modern general season in 3911 overlaps the archery and muzzle loader seasons. There are several areas that have similar circumstances. Just because you know that you are well inside a GMU boundary doesn't mean that you aren't inside anothe deer or elk until that has modern guys in it too.

Regs like hunter orange are in place so people go home at the end of the hunting trips to their families.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2016, 03:21:06 PM »
Pretty sure it is meant for general modern seasons.  Yes the 3911 elk hunt for master hunters is a general season.

The rifle rut bull hunts in 328 are permit hunts so if you are hunting deer during that time you don't have to wear hunter orange as an archery deer hunter is my understanding. :twocents:
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]