collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Experienced bicycle hunters  (Read 4326 times)

Offline wt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Experienced bicycle hunters
« on: August 23, 2016, 06:14:22 PM »
What do you do to prepare for the worst regarding your mountain bike and game trailer? Do you carry patches or tubes. New chain or just a link buster? What style link buster do you prefer? Sound off on all your "miles behind the gate" practical bike tips and knowledge. Also do you use a particular kick stand or other accessories? I bring one tube for each trailer/bike and a patch kit. I use a bow rack on the bars and a double kick stand so I can hop off when riding along and glass without having to lay the bike down thus removing the bow. I'm doing my early elk prep and I've got my bike is at the shop. It's on my mind and I would like to incorporate any new ideas in my efforts.

Offline davk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GOA
Re: Experienced bicycle hunters
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 08:14:32 PM »
Not super experienced running a mountain bike but I run about the same as my motorcycle kit.  1 spare tube, hand pump, tool set with whatever allen keys and wrenches I need.  Wouldnt mind adding some of the slime scabs ... just never picked any up.  Dont have a kickstand, but I dont strap the bow or gun to the bike.  Idk what you are getting done at the shop and you might not be able to do the work ... but I try to do as much of my work as possible.  It can be extremely valuable if something goes wrong in the field.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 08:21:13 PM »
Slime tubes in all tires, patch kit, air pump, Allen wrench tool, gerber multi tool on belt, collection of good bungies, chunk of baling wire.  That'll do ;)
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Huntnfolk

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 09:03:20 PM »
Spare tube, patch kit, Allen wrenches, chain break tool and quick link are all kept in a small pouch that attaches to my seat.  Mini air pump on the bike too.  I also carry some duct tape or athletic tape.  Over the years I've blown sidewalls twice and I was able to use the tape to make a patch to get me through the rest of the day.

I don't use a kickstand since the bow or rifle goes with me anytime I dismount.   Never know when the shot opportunity will present itself.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 09:24:53 PM »
I bring spare tube and patch kit, pump, small set of Allen wrenches. The thing about a patch kit and a tube is that if you have a blow out on your tire and there's a hole/bulge you can repair the tire well enough to limp out. Preventive maintenance is the best though keep nice tires on your bike!

Offline wapiti hunter2

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 09:31:45 PM »
In addition to all of the above I run liners in both tires. My biggest threat is blackberry thorns and they can't get through the liners. Slime too and the heaviest duty tubes.

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 09:48:20 PM »
Sorry, not a Green Slime guy--more pride than that.  Sorry, RJ :roll eyes:

Basically what the other guys said.  2 spare tubes, chain breaker with extra chain bits (all in less than $10), small hand pump, small patch kit.

No kick stand.  I ride a garbage bike.  Sorry, if it dies it stays.  At the end of the day everything is organic, and will return to the earth.

My chain broke on the way in last year, in the early hours (03:00) of opening day.  My ever-resourceful partner pounded the chain into submission with river rocks.  I was highly impressed.  He shot a bull the next day, too.  Stud hunter.

My partner mounts his bow on the bike trailer, on top off his duffel bag.  I carry mine on my back, strapped to the rucksack.  I will try his method next time.  No handlebar mounts for me---others seem to like this.

Zip ties are very useful.  If you can't fix a flat, zip up the blown tube in 5 or 6 places.  You will still be able to ride out.  Old motorcycle trick---I don't say it is comfortable, just do-able.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 09:55:04 PM »
I run liners in the bike tires and solid rubber tires on the cart. Have not had a flat since I put in the liners.
For a head light last year I bought a NEBO Transport,LED. Greatest thing in flashlights ever. I taped a piece of 3/4 roll plastic water pipe to the frame. The light  fits in it perfect.
It is rechargeable in your cars cigarette lighter and it has some spring loaded keepers on the side to keep it in the lighter. These keep it in the water pipe when you are riding.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline wt

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 10:21:56 PM »
Sweet! great reply's! I can't beleive I forgot the 100mph tap... added to kit. What are liners? Are they the band that is between the tube and the spoke nuts? Or do you add them between the tube and the tire.

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 10:33:37 PM »
Sweet! great reply's! I can't beleive I forgot the 100mph tap... added to kit. What are liners? Are they the band that is between the tube and the spoke nuts? Or do you add them between the tube and the tire.

Yes, that's what the liners are.  Duct tape or electrical tape works as well.  Prevents punctures from the spoke ends.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 07:57:11 AM »

Actually, there are two types of liners. The first you'll find on probably all wheels. It's an adhesive tape (only seen it made of cloth) that covers the inside of the rim covering the spoke heads. The other type is wrapped inside the tire between the tube and tire. We used to run the tuffy brand. It was a rubber/plastic type of material. Thickest in the middle and tapered forwards the sides. These helped prevent sharp objects puncturing through the tires and into the tubes.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline Cougartail

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 08:33:02 AM »
Extra spokes and a spoke tool.
Did Trump hurt your feelings?

I only seem like a macho guy if you have low T and you listen to the Village  People

Offline luvmystang67

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 09:22:08 AM »
Aside from what many people have mentioned a couple of tips...

Mounting bow/gun on the handlebars is by far the preferred method.  I mounted things on a rear rack and i was so back heavy that i'd pop wheelies going up any hill. 

Get a high quality bike, even if its used, so you don't have a walmart special breaking down on you in the back woods.

Get a full suspension bike... logging roads will wreck your behind.

The trailer thing... I've never really gotten into.  I think my next step might be some kind of way to mount things to the bike to walk parts out.  The trailer is kind of a pain.

In Western WA get the disc brakes... the wheel brakes will fail you when it rains in your season.

Offline Labs07

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2016, 11:39:46 AM »
Get a fat bike!  Great gearing and able to get into the rough spots.  I do not have suspension on this bike but do on my other bike.  I can load tons of stuff on the fat bike.  Cogburn makes a special attachment that can attach to the rear rack of the bike that can carry a gun or bow.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2016, 06:48:10 PM »
Spare tubes,tire wrench kit , extra headlamp and batteries,extra coat and socks and food and waterI wouldn't put a rifle or bow rack on the bars just in case I eat crap and crash I would rather have my rifle on my back

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]