collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hypothetical Situation  (Read 5972 times)

Offline treeclimber2852

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Hypothetical Situation
« on: August 25, 2016, 07:07:09 AM »
So say you have a spot that you can get to either via a 2-3 mile trail hike or a 3/4 of a mile bush wacking route.  You decide to slip in via the 2-3 mile hike in the dark, get set up and arrow an elk opening morning.  You know that the 3/4 mile bush wacking route is probably the best pack-out route, but there's also likely to be hunters in that area still hunting...do you take the short route or hoof it back down the trail for several long round trips? 

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Re: Hypothetical Situation
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 07:13:03 AM »
Depends on the wind.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 07:22:21 AM »
Short cur. The meat could easily spoil after that many long round trips.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 07:24:57 AM »
You take the short route!! I deer hunt a place just like that!! When we kill something it's cross country, the shortest quickest route is the way, especially if it's weather like we are having now :tup:
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 07:35:03 AM »
With a good map and a GPS, you should be able to pick out a good route through the shortcut. If you have to make multiple trips either save the route in the GPS or tape the trail, as long as you take the tape out on your last trip.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Fish4Fun

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 07:39:37 AM »
I agree with what is being said, save the meat and the legs and go straight back and forth to the truck. Pretty sure other guys would do the same on you if they had meat on the ground. Only way I would make the long trip is if there was a road and I could get the game cart there and take it in one haul.

Offline treeclimber2852

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 07:52:00 AM »
Thanks guys...I was thinking of being considerate, but you're right - meat on the ground and an ethical kill all the way to the cooler trumps busting someone else's setup.  I'd understand if it was me sitting up in a tree seeing some lucky sap hauling out an animal.  Heck, I'd probably climb down and help out. 

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 07:59:05 AM »
Bet $ you could hike a good trail much faster than bushwacking a shorter route.  I know it takes more time and effort to hack thru the woods.  No thanks.  Beside what if there is an obstacle, creek, cliff, etc. you encounter?  Then what?  No, trail of a couple miles isn't too bad.  Of course the terrain is the deciding factor but I see bushwacking as not a poke in the woods but rather a brush filled mess and not knowing whats coming next 50ft in front of you.  As for hunters, well if an animals down they are second fiddle.  We responsible to recover animal to best ability.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline White Pass Outfitters

• High mtn hunter
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
    • Kent Dinelt
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2016, 08:07:25 AM »
Bet $ you could hike a good trail much faster than bushwacking a shorter route.  I know it takes more time and effort to hack thru the woods.  No thanks.  Beside what if there is an obstacle, creek, cliff, etc. you encounter?  Then what?  No, trail of a couple miles isn't too bad.  Of course the terrain is the deciding factor but I see bushwacking as not a poke in the woods but rather a brush filled mess and not knowing whats coming next 50ft in front of you.  As for hunters, well if an animals down they are second fiddle.  We responsible to recover animal to best ability.
I have to agree sometimes the longer route is faster if you are hiking out on a trail, Not easy with a six point bull on your back hiking through the brush in the dark.
KD

Offline ELKBURGER

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2016, 08:11:48 AM »
Most likely you will blast out the herd once you get yours on the ground. Then you have the quartering out and loading packs. This takes time and if its morning, you're starting your pack out late am or noon. If you get your elk down in the late afternoon, you're packing out in the dark. Either way, any hunter you run into aren't likely to find any elk in the area you've already scored in. My  :twocents: Good Luck, I hope you get to find out!

Offline treeclimber2852

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2016, 08:24:33 AM »
Most likely you will blast out the herd once you get yours on the ground. Then you have the quartering out and loading packs. This takes time and if its morning, you're starting your pack out late am or noon. If you get your elk down in the late afternoon, you're packing out in the dark. Either way, any hunter you run into aren't likely to find any elk in the area you've already scored in. My  :twocents: Good Luck, I hope you get to find out!

Thanks.  Me too.  It's a good spot and I've gone in both ways...the cross country way is a lot of log hopping, but it isn't too bad.  I've got elk on camera consistently every day so, hopefully they play along. 

Offline fireweed

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2016, 08:24:54 AM »

I absolutely agree--2-3 mile trail is usually a highway compared to what anyone would describe as a bushwack.  Have done both and unless the cross country route is a no-brainer, take the trail. 

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 08:55:08 AM »
I just hope you get the chance to have to make the decision!  :tup:
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline treeclimber2852

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2016, 08:59:25 AM »
I just hope you get the chance to have to make the decision!  :tup:

Yeah...that would be a great dilemma to have...which way to go to get the meat out (and where's the nearest cold beer). 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2016, 09:06:33 AM »
I'd stash a cart before the season and take the trail

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal